Daniel Lanois quote in EW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is one of those times that while I can completely understand why some people think they're totally cringe-worthy, I still actually really like them.

As opposed to a response of "what the hell, man. you're effing insane." It's more like "I know, I totally get it. But I love 'em!"

Ha.

:up: Same here!

The song is just so immensely good that the lyrics just fit somehow.

This is one of those times that while I can completely understand why some people think they're totally cringe-worthy, I still actually really like them.

As opposed to a response of "what the hell, man. you're effing insane." It's more like "I know, I totally get it. But I love 'em!"

Ha.

I wish he had stayed away from the Mac lingo, it reminded me of the latest James album, Tim Booth uses an obscene amount of cellphone references and terms that will be outdated in 5 years. But other than that I really like the concept of the song...

Yeah, but if all authors and songwriters stayed away from any sort of technology/pop culture/news reference that's going to be dated in five years, then that's pretty limiting.

I mean, I don't want to hear a song all about Lindsay Lohan's courtroom exploits or read a book that's chock full of Twitter and Facebook references, but I don't think that you should steer clear of them altogether for fear of sounding "dated" in a few years.

Yeah, but if all authors and songwriters stayed away from any sort of technology/pop culture/news reference that's going to be dated in five years, then that's pretty limiting.

I mean, I don't want to hear a song all about Lindsay Lohan's courtroom exploits or read a book that's chock full of Twitter and Facebook references, but I don't think that you should steer clear of them altogether for fear of sounding "dated" in a few years.

I played a song for my 12 year old nephew that had references to an answering machine and tapes, and he looked at me completely befuddled...:lol: I felt so old.

Unknown Caller only comes of as 'embarrassing' if you don't buy into the metaphor, or it goes right over your head. The song like some of what was actually released falls right into the latter day hymns concept, right down to the hymn the Edge adapted his solo from.

DoctorGonzo, I'm with you in the feeling that NLOTH could have been stronger, but not necessarily on the points you chose to criticize. I'm pretty sure we all love NLOTH2, but the song would not have fit on the album (in any incarnation) the same way the album version does (which is one of the stronger tracks on the album), perhaps if they'd recorded the hybrid arrangement they created for the live performances that would have been a correct compromise.

I happen to think that the lyrics to Unknown Caller are awesome. But then again this is coming from a guy who doesn't hate "intellectual tortoise". They don't irritate me at all.

I don't own a Mac so the metaphors aren't so cringeworthy. But still, I haven't listened to this song (or the album it's from) since prob last spring, and it was a listen I hadn't taken in a while so who knows when I listened to it before then. NLOTH has aged pretty bad I'm sorry to say. I've listened to ATYCLB a hell of a lot more than NLOTH in the time since NLOTH has been released.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Bono's lost his lyrical touch(I think Kite, IALW, Sometimes, White As Snow, Cedars, MOS are all spectacular) but I think the volume of really great lyrics has declined.

Look at it like this:

Does anyone see an odd man out? Is this odd man out clear? It should be.

Out of Control
New Year's Day
ASOH
Bad
Streets
Heartland
Hawkmoon
Until the end, Whos Gonna Ride, So Cruel, Ultraviolet(most of the rest of AB really)
Stay
Gone
Please
Unknown Caller

Unknown Caller loses by miles and miles and miles and miles.

Sorry.

Wears off after a few listens on the album, puts you to sleep live.

Unknown Caller only comes of as 'embarrassing' if you don't buy into the metaphor, or it goes right over your head. The song like some of what was actually released falls right into the latter day hymns concept, right down to the hymn the Edge adapted his solo from.

i love the music of unknown caller... i think the verses are very good, and i very much get the metaphor.

the chorus is embarrassing, and takes what should have been an epic song and turns it into merely good.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Bono's lost his lyrical touch(I think Kite, IALW, Sometimes, White As Snow, Cedars, MOS are all spectacular) but I think the volume of really great lyrics has declined.

Look at it like this:

Does anyone see an odd man out? Is this odd man out clear? It should be.

Out of Control
New Year's Day
ASOH
Bad
Streets
Heartland
Hawkmoon
Until the end, Whos Gonna Ride, So Cruel, Ultraviolet(most of the rest of AB really)
Stay
Gone
Please
Unknown Caller

Unknown Caller loses by miles and miles and miles and miles.

Sorry.

Wears off after a few listens on the album, puts you to sleep live.

am i missing something here? the reason you picked those particular songs to compare it to is... ?

Ha.

Agree 100%, and Edge's stuff on that song is awesome!

This is just my opinion, but I think the lyrics from Unknown Caller are embarrassingly and decidedly bad. I literally cringed and shook my head when this song was being played at the shows I attended last year.

I think the lyrics are pretty poor throughout the album. Bono needs to get his act together for the next one.

I loves me some Unknown Caller, but I can definitely see how it could rub some people the wrong way. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I think they made 3 good albums in a row now. This one just wasn't a commercial/radio hit. That's too bad, 'cause I really liked it.

i love the music of unknown caller... i think the verses are very good, and i very much get the metaphor.

the chorus is embarrassing, and takes what should have been an epic song and turns it into merely good.

:yes: The chorus with the techno-lingo brings down the song.

edit: As for great Morocco stuff...from what we heard the Magnificent/MOS/UC stretch is supposed to be the closest to "future hymns" they talked about. Very good/possibly classic in the case of latter two songs, but I don't see inspiration and reinvention they were looking for, ie the comparisons to AB just don't hold up.

ozeeko, we all have our own tastes which is fine, but it would be one thing to say you've soured towards NLOTH and another to say it has 'aged badly' the album is less than two years old and nothing on it makes you go 'ugh that reminds me of 2009, it's so old' like you do when you hear bad synthy 80's music. We'll talk about aging in a decade or so, but as none of the album really sounds like what is out there in the mainstream now as has been true of pretty much every U2 album with the exception of the earliest days, I doubt we'll ever be talking about how '2000's' NLOTH sounds. (How '2000's U2 it sounds could be a different matter :wink:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpPFJ315Fw0]YouTube - U2 - Electrical Storm (demo)

YouTube - U2 - Electrical Storm (William Orbit Remix) Full Song

YouTube - U2 - Electrical Storm

the different versions of electrical storm have always fascinated me in their production and arrangement... both have very similar elements, but one is a slow build and one is more guitar driven. it really gives a good look into the internal debate on musical direction that u2 seem to be going through this past decade... and how they just can't figure out which way to go. it looks as if the guitar driven version came more from the demo, but then at some point they thought it needed to be more atmospheric and that's when orbit's version came in. :shrug:

It's interesting. I think the ultimate version of the song would involved Orbit's atmospherics combined with the haunting chorus of the demo rather than the rock guitar by numbers approach we actually got.

am i missing something here? the reason you picked those particular songs to compare it to is... ?

You didn't miss anything.

A lot of the discussion on previous pages was U2's lyrics in the past vs now with UC as a frequent example.

DoctorGonzo's post was what I had in mind, should have quoted it for clarity.

It's like walking through a long gallery of Rembrant and Picasso paintings, only to run into a Thomas Kinkaid.

To which I responded with what you quoted.

I don't buy his point exactly, but going through the U2 songbook chronologically, there is a bit to that argument.

I just picked out some examples as we go through. No particular reason why each song is there, aside from the fact that they are great lyrically.

IMHO, of course.

You didn't miss anything.

A lot of the discussion on previous pages was U2's lyrics in the past vs now with UC as a frequent example.

DoctorGonzo's post was what I had in mind, should have quoted it for clarity.

To which I responded with what you quoted.

I don't buy his point exactly, but going through the U2 songbook chronologically, there is a bit to that argument.

I just picked out some examples as we go through. No particular reason why each song is there, aside from the fact that they are great lyrically.

IMHO, of course.

But if you are comparing songs that you feel are great lyrically to one that you feel is bad lyrically, it really isn't a fair comparison, even within your own opinion. If you are going to do it at all it makes more sense to compare songs from those past eras that you feel are not great lyrically with UC, wouldn't it?

what's the problem with UC's chorus?
at least Bono actually wrote one that is more than repeating 1 sentence a dozen times, which he doesn't do that often

But if you are comparing songs that you feel are great lyrically to one that you feel is bad lyrically, it really isn't a fair comparison, even within your own opinion. If you are going to do it at all it makes more sense to compare songs from those past eras that you feel are not great lyrically with UC, wouldn't it?

No.

I was following the point that doctorgonzo made, which was that over time, the lyrical quality has declined somewhat.

I said I didn't buy that 100%, but that the weak lyrics have become a bit more frequent since 2000. (though again, plenty of gems like MOS, WAS, E Storm, etc)

I used UC as an example.

It may not be the worst lyric ever, but in context with the ones I mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom