Daniel Lanois on Dave Fanning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hi5:'s to all the beautiful U2 fans of the world!

This isn't the most definitive news in the world, but it is definitely exciting.

We are in for a fun couple of years, guys!!!!

The news IS exciting, and I'm salivating with the rest of you. But the "backdrop" against which it's trickling out seems hilarious. Instead of mentioning much about album progress on the website, U2.com posts a gazillion-word speech by PM. And, the only way we get to hear Dan Lanois say anything substantive about it is if we listen to (or forward through) a 30-minute interview peppered with 3 or 4 very old Kraftwerk songs. It's like they really, really, really want to "peep" something out but feel they have to put up some major distractors.:madwife:

Always fun when the most solid bit of information about a new album doesn't come from the band/management. Thanks Dan Lanois for attempting to keep us a little more in-the-know. I am very excited and hope we get some really fresh sounds/songs; and plenty of them.

great news! get excited about quotes from adam, eno, lanois, good stuff....

stuff from bono and edge i kind of dont listen to.

can't wait for some of these songs to leak :)

awesome news...I actually sort of like the fact that we are hearing barely any news on how the album is coming along, but all the little tidbits that we are getting hint towards a very good upcoming album :)

lets hope they're leading us in the right direction :yes:

ok there is absolutely no way that Lanois could be going on and on about Bono's voice like this if it isn't truly amazing...

i mean he mentions Bono's voice in basically every interview or piece of news regarding the new album...he knows Bono's voice very well...it's not like this can be misleading or anything, like saying that this is one of U2's best innovate albums (or something of that nature) could be...This news on Bono's voice is probably the most exciting part of all the news regarding the new album...because if Bono is "singing like a bird" and if he is "singing fantastic" and "in great form" according to Lanois, it is very safe to say that this album will in fact have incredible vocals

ok there is absolutely no way that Lanois could be going on and on about Bono's voice like this if it isn't truly amazing...

i mean he mentions Bono's voice in basically every interview or piece of news regarding the new album...he knows Bono's voice very well...it's not like this can be misleading or anything, like saying that this is one of U2's best innovate albums (or something of that nature) could be...This news on Bono's voice is probably the most exciting part of all the news regarding the new album...because if Bono is "singing like a bird" and if he is "singing fantastic" and "in great form" according to Lanois, it is very safe to say that this album will in fact have incredible vocals

I agree. remember in the greatest album documentry they made about JT in 1998? You could see DL almost lamenting the fact Bono had to sing falsetto to reach high notes now in adverse to back in the eighties. He does know Bono's voice well...and I think he's happy and impressed with how its returned and come on !!

I am So exited about this album...it just feels like this is going to be closer to what we all expect they can and should acheive!!

Just for some of you who don't know the official meaning of innovative ;)

Being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before; "stylistically innovative works"; "innovative members of the artistic community"; "a mind so innovational, so original"

I am so excited...hopefully another AB or Zooropa where the music will blow us out of our minds.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaa

i trust eno and lanois more than the band when it comes to talking about the album. the fact that for such a big band five months away from releasing their new album we are having to pick up tidbits like this is quite endearing.

just out of interest was HTDAAB described as innovative prior to it's release?

Always fun when the most solid bit of information about a new album doesn't come from the band/management. Thanks Dan Lanois for attempting to keep us a little more in-the-know. I am very excited and hope we get some really fresh sounds/songs; and plenty of them.

It's great news, thank heavens for Danny! Sounds like this album will go in a new direction and I'm all for that.

There's 2 things that come to mind lately with all the things we've been hearing- one, there is a very deliberate attmempt by the U2 camp to be discreet about the new work, which is quite different from ATYCLB/HTDAAB promotion. I remember some Sundance interviews of Bono where he was joking around that he'd have to kill the interviewer if he discussed details on the sound of the new album, which to me means direct orders from the band to shut the fuck up this time around. This suggests something surprising is in the waiting. I mean, no "monsters", no "dragons", no "Edge is on fire", no "this is the best thing we've ever done", just "things are going well", "we feel good about this". So people are trying to keep it on the down-low, and to me that's a good thing. They're planning on springing a surprise, and dont feel the need to over-hype the material, so they must feel pretty confident about it.

Secondly, however, IMO Lanois is not exactly on the same page as some or many of us when it comes to "innovative"...his strengths are very traditional Western melody. Look at the people he's worked with besides U2 - Dylan, Peter Gabriel, Emmylou Harris, Scott Weiland, Robbie Robertson, etc. These are quite traditional artists, so "innovation" to him may be very different to those of us who associate it with blips, bloops, and electronics. To me, the most heartening thing is that having E/L aboard means that the record will be textured. I love music with layers, and that's a major reason why I 've come back to ATYCLB despite its (to me) numerous shortcomings. HTDAAB, on the other hand, is woefully short of texture, except for - guess? Love and Peace.

Is Lanois telling the truth?

Songs are done?

Most innovative U2 album?

Man, I go away for a couple of weeks and all of a sudden we got Lanois talking all crazy.

Is this happening?

When did this happen?

WHAT IS GOING ON?

Ok...

Let's say a for a minute, he's telling the truth. Now what? Do we celebrate? Do we start listening to all the old albums all over again from start to finish?

This is nuts!

There's 2 things that come to mind lately with all the things we've been hearing- one, there is a very deliberate attmempt by the U2 camp to be discreet about the new work, which is quite different from ATYCLB/HTDAAB promotion. I remember some Sundance interviews of Bono where he was joking around that he'd have to kill the interviewer if he discussed details on the sound of the new album, which to me means direct orders from the band to shut the fuck up this time around. This suggests something surprising is in the waiting. I mean, no "monsters", no "dragons", no "Edge is on fire", no "this is the best thing we've ever done", just "things are going well", "we feel good about this". So people are trying to keep it on the down-low, and to me that's a good thing. They're planning on springing a surprise, and dont feel the need to over-hype the material, so they must feel pretty confident about it.

I wholeheartedly agree. I think that there's a conscious memory of Pop and a fear of building hype that has now been combined with the experience of how, for example, Radiohead, and Sigur Ros have approached their recent releases - throwing it at an unsuspecting public at short notice. I think they'd prefer to keep things a little quieter this time round. There's also the fact that they said all along that they weren't quite sure what the songs were for and were just enjoying making music without committing to an album. Now, even if that's just a cover to deflect attention, then there's something in there that says they'd prefer not to have as much pressure on them this time.

I think what we can expect is something very different in terms of how the first single is released/how the record itself is packaged and released. Springsteen gave 'Radio Nowhere' away for free a few weeks before release to promote Magic, and I've been playing 'Gobbledigook' by Sigur Ros a lot for free in anticipation of the new album on 23 June, so why shouldn't U2 go down that route or attempt something altogether different?

I'm not getting majorly excited over everything. I still adore U2 and want a new album, don't get me wrong...but I'll wait until things get more official to be super excited about it.

How many songs will be on it? Speculate.

First single....HEAVY(vertigo style) or MELLOW(Beautiful Day style)

Whatever it is...i hope it's naked. Stripped down. Bono's voice clearer than ever, not overproduced. Lot's of chime and jangle coming out of Edge's guitar, Probing bass lines by Adam, and a heavy foot on the bass drum by Larry Mullens Jr.

No, Lanois must be lying.

He's simply saying that because the fans are getting on his nerves with all these questions about the new album.

:tsk:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom