Daniel Lanois interviewed on 102.1 The Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I saw the article and actually read it.

Don't you people know "Bono-speak" by now?

That shit translates to me as "It ain't done yet".

When it will be done and handed over to he general public for listening, yeah, probably sometime in 2009. When in 2009? You guys are assuming March; I'm assuming (at worst) November.

There's no difference here but some wanting and hoping for it now, and some wanting it now but expecting it later.

Yes I saw the article and actually read it.

Don't you people know "Bono-speak" by now?

That shit translates to me as "It ain't done yet".

When it will be done and handed over to he general public for listening, yeah, probably sometime in 2009. When in 2009? You guys are assuming March; I'm assuming (at worst) November.

There's no difference here but some wanting and hoping for it now, and some wanting it now but expecting it later.

I don't know if I agree or disagree with your prediction for when the album is released but that's sort of the point. People are assuming early 2009 but late 2009 is just as possible. Why? None of us know because I don't think the band even knows. Lanois said mixing these tracks could be the beginning of finishing the album. The beginning? I really think the band is uncertain about the album for some reason. We can all speculate but clearly there isn't a clear end in sight. For that reason, I don't think any release date next year should be dismissed.

I don't know if I agree or disagree with your prediction for when the album is released but that's sort of the point. People are assuming early 2009 but late 2009 is just as possible. Why? None of us know because I don't think the band even knows. Lanois said mixing these tracks could be the beginning of finishing the album. The beginning? I really think the band is uncertain about the album for some reason. We can all speculate but clearly there isn't a clear end in sight. For that reason, I don't think any release date next year should be dismissed.

Ijust have a feeling (regardless of release date) that their could be two possible outcomes. 1. This album is the best they have ever done and they are just trying their best to make it their best album before releasing it and realizing that they could have changed something to make it even better (and maybe this is why there is the delay). or 2. This album is not working out that great (IE they are not happy with their songs) and they are either rewriting some or alot of the songs or maybe throwing out a lot of the songs and starting over and thus we have a delay. I am optimistic though and hopeful that this could be one hell of an album and given that they have written 50-60 songs i REALLY hope its a double album and a true double album not like Rattle and Hum.

If half of the album is done (since they are doing the final mixes), why would they wait all the way until 11/09 ?

If half of the album is done (since they are doing the final mixes), why would they wait all the way until 11/09 ?

well I think some here believe that they are only satisfied with half an album's worth of songs...and they still have a decent chunk of actual writing/recording to do just to get songs for the album.....

I HIGHLY doubt this....after all this time there's no way they only have half an album's worth of songs. I think they just need to touch up some things, maybe finish a few small sections of songs or even change up some arrangements to songs but in a very minor sense....I think we'll see the album in February. :shrug:

Jofo said:
Look, if we start hearing about it in all seriousness by January, yeah, a March release date can happen.

I just don't see them doing a release after that until September...which can easily be pushed back until Novemeber. They haven't released an album in 4 years (by then it will be 4 1/2) and they're not going to release it in the summer, the slowest consumer spending time of the year. Not to mention schools are closed, people are on vacation...etc.

I will hold off any more proclamations about "11-09" until January. If we still don't have any notions that there's something on the horizon, I will stick to my theory.

I really hope I'm wrong btw.

Look you don't start mixing an album in Sept/Oct of 2008 to release a complete year later, right...:eyebrow:

I think that they hit some inspiration late in the summer and rode it until now...and just decided to push the album back after Christmas time. I don't think there is some plan to scrap the album, or that the songs are terrible, it's just a decision to run with some new ideas and see where it took them.

Chill out people...new album first quarter of '09...put that in the bank...:yes:

couldn't he be in charge of mixing 6 tracks on the album and eno is in charge of mixing the other half? or he's mixing half of it in new york 'cause the other half is already mixed? or he's mixing half of it here and then flying back to dublin to mix the rest of it?

why does it have to be worst case scenario?

couldn't he be in charge of mixing 6 tracks on the album and eno is in charge of mixing the other half? or he's mixing half of it in new york 'cause the other half is already mixed? or he's mixing half of it here and then flying back to dublin to mix the rest of it?

why does it have to be worst case scenario?

I find it unlikely, but no, it doesn't have to be worst case scenario; maybe we'll get an announcement in January it's coming out in March.

Remember though, both Bono and Edge have said they are still writing...not "tweaking existing songs"...writing. This is the reason I've been blowing the whistle. Read my other post about the time frame between now and January.

Maybe half the songs are completely done, the band is satisfied 100% with them, and they are going to be on the album for sure; and the other half is not quite to that point yet, so they are going to tweak a few things to make it better or switch out some songs for other ones (this is assuming that they already had a basic tracklisting figured out before the delay). That's why Lanois is mixing only one half of the album now. That is my optimistic guess.

Maybe half the songs are completely done, the band is satisfied 100% with them, and they are going to be on the album for sure; and the other half is not quite to that point yet, so they are going to tweak a few things to make it better or switch out some songs for other ones (this is assuming that they already had a basic tracklisting figured out before the delay). That's why Lanois is mixing only one half of the album now. That is my optimistic guess.

optimism/realism is not allowed in this forum.

Bono makes it pretty clear that we will begin hearing the new songs in early 2009. And if, as he says, they want 2009 to be their year, that implies early year album release and a tour. There is no reason to doubt what he says. (I know he has been off in album release predictions before, but that is when they are in the early phases, plus his comments make it seem like there is a definite plan already afoot.)

this is so silly....you act as though you automatically get double the brilliance with a double album....are you forgetting how much we'd here on here about how "wow it's all just a bunch of fucking fillers aside a few good tracks," "wtf, 4 years for this? so we have 8 or 9 good tracks and everything else blows," "wow, I would've rather them just release one good CD and take all this other shit off," "Fuck you Bono, you said this was gonna be U2's best...only half these songs are good, the rest are either cliche, filler, or nothing new at all, double album = big mistake" ..........

you get my point? Chances are U2 doesn't have enough brilliant material to release a quality double album...and we'd be the first to complain about it...I'd much rather a diligent track selection process to get a cohesive album with only the best songs and make the rest B sides or work on the songs a little more and pull a Zooropa and release another album shortly with the left over material. They aren't releasing a double album, and it would be a stupid idea anyway.

first of, what is filler and what is the best are totally subjective. Second, alot of these b-sides throughout U2's career are what many of us fans wished that they would have kept ON whatever album. Alot of the times, what the band members think are quality songs and what we think are quality songs can be two different things.

It was a good move leaving off the B-sides from JT and Edge talking Bono out of it.

I agree, pretty much exactly what I said :up:

first of, what is filler and what is the best are totally subjective. Second, alot of these b-sides throughout U2's career are what many of us fans wished that they would have kept ON whatever album. Alot of the times, what the band members think are quality songs and what we think are quality songs can be two different things.

Obviously, but the point remains...

It will be much easier for U2 to make a truly great piece of art with this next album that is well received by both critics and fans worldwide if they just release a 11/12 track record. A double album introduces so much more room to fuck up. :shrug:

It was a good move leaving off the B-sides from JT and Edge talking Bono out of it.

:up:

It will be much easier for U2 to make a truly great piece of art with this next album that is well received by both critics and fans worldwide if they just release a 11/12 track record. A double album introduces so much more room to fuck up. :shrug:

Absolutely. There's absolutely no need to make something longer than it needs to be. It's not about attention spans, per se, it's about producing something that is so tightly focussed that nothing is wasted. That's what makes a great record, and leaves much more potential for a surprise release at a later date or a quicker next record.

Obviously, but the point remains...

If the extras are decent instrumentals like Passengers then I'm for it.

:hmm:Hmm... when I read 'half the album was being mixed', the first thing that I thought was that the other half was already mixed, and that the band was satisfied with at least half the material which they had intended to put out.. perhaps Lanois is just mixing the new stuff they've put together over the past few weeks...?

A good start to a good finish suggests to me that possibly only half the record is at the mixing stage.

I agree. I also dont think you would start the final mix of half an album i the whole album is not realized.

From a production standpoint you want some time of continuity throughout. If they were not sure where this was going at this point, I would hope they wouldn't sequence and mix half the album.

Look you don't start mixing an album in Sept/Oct of 2008 to release a complete year later, right...:eyebrow:

I think that they hit some inspiration late in the summer and rode it until now...and just decided to push the album back after Christmas time. I don't think there is some plan to scrap the album, or that the songs are terrible, it's just a decision to run with some new ideas and see where it took them.

Chill out people...new album first quarter of '09...put that in the bank...:yes:

They collaborated with Lanois and Eno on this. I don't think artistically they would determine it a failure after they collectively felt good about it at some point. According to press, they all had good things to say.

I doubt they would've called in those guys if they felt they were soley fit to decide if what they have so far is worthy.

Commercially they may have reservations, but I am certain those sessions are not going in the trash.

Last minute inspriration is nothing new with them. That's an option for the delay.

There's many reasons for the delay and we have heard many possibilities that sound plausible.

Rock on Reggie!

^^^

This explains why Luminous Times was only a b-side. Blasphemous.

MAN!!!

Those B-sides were the logical continuation from Unforgettable Fire.

I love the JT B-sides.

You really need those to see the continuity from the UF to JT.

Those songs make me fucking drool in envy.

Sonic experimentation blended with more traditional song and prose structure.

I think this mean that they are still writing, because they are not needed to be present for the actual mixing and mastering. They have their ideas on the mix, and it will all but have taken shape, and the mixing dan is doing now is the polishing and finishing touches.

Danny will do that, the band will keep recording (the bulk of another album), it will be released in feb, tour starting in april, tour until april next year (US, europe, xmas break, ROW) new album may/june, tour until june the next year - call it a day.

Back
Top Bottom