Crazy....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have several friends who bought this album and my brother also bought it. They are all a bit younger than me, are all in high school, and they all love Crazy Tonight. They are pretty educated music fans who have heard U2's entire discography so it's not like they are loving Lady Gaga and Britney Spears on the radio. They are U2 fans with a lot of music knowledge for their age and they all rank Crazy Tonight as their favorite song on the album.

To dismiss it as simply an "unabashed pop song" misses the point of it. There's something to be said for the joyous chorus and the feeling of exuberance you get when you hear it. IMO there's nothing wrong with writing a song with the intention of making people tap their toes and feel happy. It's an upbeat song, and I personally love it. I think it does fit with the album as a whole, it's obviously the most upbeat moment but the guitars for me really make it feel cohesive. Great song :up:

Well, you've got the definition right, but alliteration isn't restricted to medieval, England or even poetry. It's used everywhere from rock and roll to hip hop to public speaking. For example, there's a great line in Stand Up Comedy: "the DNA lotto may'a left you smart." The words hit the melody right between the eyes. And the repeated "A" and "L" sounds give the singer audible punctuation marks on the beat. Another example, think of the cold, almost coughing "K" sound in "in a parked car/in a crowded street/you see your love made complete...love is clockworks and cold steel." Think of the hissing sounds in "I lifted some stones and saw the skin and bones of a city without a soul."

"It's not a hill, it's a mountain" is a soaring melody. I'm just saying that it deserves better words.

I understand the definition and use of alliteration, and I know it's not restricted to mediaeval poetry, but it's atrongly associated to oral traditions, nevertheless its use is usually considered quite old fashion in modern poetry, as fas as I know, of course when I talk about English poetry, I'm not talking about England, I'm talking about poetry written or composed in English. It can work quite well in short sequences, as in the Love is darkness example you give or the -s phoneme, but this is just because the phonetics help to emphasize the idea underlying the words rather than to create a rythm; I wouldn't consider the Stand Up Comedy line you cite an example of alliteration, the repetition af a phoneme twice in a sentence doesn't seem to be enough or to create any effect at all. I'm not interested in hip-hop, so I don't know anything about.

As for the line in question, well, I think in this case less is more, if you use more intrincate wording, maybe you'll need to specify the meaning a bit more to make yourself understood, while using these quite simple images, people can get the surface meaning instantly and thus the author can be more ambiguous about its deep meaning, so everybody can interpret the situation in their own way, remember we are within a metaphor there, but ok, yes, I admit that it can be said it's a too common one, although I like it, in fact, it's my favourite part in a song I like quite a lot.

Crackin' song :drool: anyone who thinks otherwise can kiss my hairy arse :ohmy:

BsB

Love the song too. It has its cheesy moments but its a really good song. I think its going to be a great song live in a stadium environment.

Its funny becuase there is a lot more love in this forum for Unknown Caller yet I always skip Unknown Caller to listen to Crazy Tonight.

Back
Top Bottom