Could this album be played in its entirety live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edge did say that Ultraviolet was pretty difficult to play live to begin with... it's kind of a deceptively simple song, in lyrics and music, overall. But I think Edge and Dallas could easily figure it out if they wanted to, but they probably haven't cared enough about the song (it's a crying shame!) to try. I agree about Wild Horses, although the full electric version on the Vertigo Tour was every bit as amazing as the ZooTV version (maybe more). Check out this show.

Agree with all of this. I have always loved performances of wild horses and ultraviolet and cant find much wrong with any, save a few uninspiring acoustic versions on the Vertigo tour.

U2 can play these songs live, have done so very well in the past, it just takes some time and work to perfect that, in the last couple tours, they wanted to put into playing new songs from 2 very succesful albums. On Vertigo, I am sure they had to put a lot into bringing back Zoo Station, perfecting the Fly and bringing back Gloria and half of Boy live.

With the exception of Fez(where the hell is the line between that and being born anyway), which is just an instrumental/strange recorded sounds intro anyway, I can see all of NLOTH being played live w/o a problem. I thought Boots would be too stripped down to do it justice live w/ only 4 guys, but guess what, I think it has worked great so far!!

Another great show for Wild Horses was 5/28/2005, Boston last show of 1st leg Vertigo. I also happen to think it was one of the best Vertigo tour setlists!

Could NLOTh be played live in its entirety? Yes, it even should be so ...

11 tunes from the album plus a fine package from TUF fire as a kind of 2nd centre block ("A Sort Of Homecoming", "The Unforgettable Fire", "MLK", "Pride") would be 15 tunes in all.
Then put in 7 slots for other 'Greatest Hits', that the majority of concert folks really wants to hear and knows – like "New Year's Day", "Where The Streets Have No Name", "One", "Mysterious Ways", "Beautiful Day", "Elevation" and "Vertigo".

So now, you have 22 tunes fixed – and another two to four slots vacant, if you like to throw in tunes like
- "Electrical Storm" or "Window In The Skies",
- "Dirty Day", "Until The End Of The World" or "Last Night On Earth",
- "Bullet The Blue Sky", "God Part II" or "Love And Peace Or Else"
- and, as a more than fitting alternative, even "Bad" or "All I Want Is You" ...

I really don't see how COL is going to be translated to a live setting :shrug:

It would be a 'show-stopper' in the worst sense of the word. Unless they play it at the end of the show, which would be a head-scratcher and general bummer, it's going to be a total 'beer break' song that punches a hole in the set. I remember people at MSG leaving in throngs during 'Miss Sarajevo' on the last tour to buy more $10 brews, and that's far less sedate than this song.

This was my entry in the Dream Setlist thread, and I still feel this could work out really well:

1. A Sort Of Homecoming
2. Magnificent
3. Until The End Of The World
4. No Line On The Horizon
5. Electrical Storm
6. Crumbs From Your Table
7. Unknown Caller
8. Where The Streets Have No Name
9. Moment Of Surrender
10. Kite
11. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
12. City Of Blinding Lights
13. Breathe
14. New Year's Day
15. Wire
16. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
17. White As Snow
18. All I Want Is You

ENCORE #1

19. Fez (snippet)/Get On Your Boots
20. Stand Up Comedy
21. The Fly

ENCORE #2

22. Please
23. Cedars Of Lebanon
24. Bad/40

10 songs from NLOTH, plus a Fez snippet.

People that take "beer breaks" during the concert in my opinion shouldnt be let in the door.

Will every song be played every night...no.

Will every song be played at least once during the tour...probably.

Assuming a 22 song setlist I would say they play 7-8 nightly from the new record.

I think the best opener would be Fez-Being Born - just listening to it now and to me it makes sense. I think it sums up a lot. The calm, atmospheric beginning, band not on stage perhaps to begin with. Then they enter with no fanfare before the crescendo, maybe only Edge, Adam and Larry to begin with. Then the song kicks in. Bono calmly enters and starts to sing that howling bit, no introduction. Would be perfect to me. I think that would set of off a high sense of excitement.

Any takers?

I think the best opener would be Fez-Being Born - just listening to it now and to me it makes sense. I think it sums up a lot. The calm, atmospheric beginning, band not on stage perhaps to begin with. Then they enter with no fanfare before the crescendo, maybe only Edge, Adam and Larry to begin with. Then the song kicks in. Bono calmly enters and starts to sing that howling bit, no introduction. Would be perfect to me. I think that would set of off a high sense of excitement.

Any takers?

of course it would be the best opener. I said it the day the album leaked :D

No. At least FEZ and COL are out and unless they do the acoustic set again, so is WAS.

Wasn't Edge emulating the sound of the Arabic cello, on his guitar on the live versions of Breathe? he can probably do that with some effect

I think the signs are pretty good for plenty of new songs being performed on tour, based on the promotion so far:

- NLOTH (BBC Culture Show performance, so it has been rehearsed and sounds awesome. Would be a perfect setlist opener...hint hint...)
- Magnificent
- Crazy Tonight
- GOYB (I hate to admit this, but it sounds better live than on record)
- Breathe

Have I missed any? But, there's live arrangements of near enough half the album already, and the tour hasn't even started yet. I doubt if they'd ever perform an album in its entirety during shows, although it's possible that every song could be performed over the whole tour. But, I just don't see COL 'working' as a live song. Wherever it's placed in a setlist, it would be a downer. Also, don't forget that U2 are mindful of the casual fans who will only see them live once on this tour, and who would prefer to hear the old favourites. So expect some of the greatest hits to remain rooted in the setlists.

I think the signs are pretty good for plenty of new songs being performed on tour, based on the promotion so far:

- NLOTH (BBC Culture Show performance, so it has been rehearsed and sounds awesome. Would be a perfect setlist opener...hint hint...)
- Magnificent
- Crazy Tonight
- GOYB (I hate to admit this, but it sounds better live than on record)
- Breathe

Have I missed any? But, there's live arrangements of near enough half the album already, and the tour hasn't even started yet. I doubt if they'd ever perform an album in its entirety during shows, although it's possible that every song could be performed over the whole tour. But, I just don't see COL 'working' as a live song. Wherever it's placed in a setlist, it would be a downer. Also, don't forget that U2 are mindful of the casual fans who will only see them live once on this tour, and who would prefer to hear the old favourites. So expect some of the greatest hits to remain rooted in the setlists.

I agree with this post, pretty cool that we've already seen half the album live, so we know those songs work

I think Cedars is the least likely to be played but almost every song could be played live imo. I think they'll have trouble with MOS because it was recorded in one take and the vocals are so out of this world. It may become another Acrobat, but if they can pull it off it'll be a centerpiece.

I agree with whoever said Fez-Being Born would be a good opener. Fez over the speakers and then the band comes out :drool:

It would be mega cool if they started with like 6-8 songs from the album or something like that, maybe save Breathe for later. But it's doubtful. I'm just looking forward to see whatever they do play :up:

I hope they will play all the song live ... i can't wait to hear UC, MOS live ..
if they can play most of the AB songs live (except acrobat ... bummer!) They can play NLOTH live too. I heard that NLOTH at the BBC live. It should sound great.
I can't wait to hear FEZ-Being Born, might be a great opener with the first minute as intro :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

Back
Top Bottom