Confirmed Album Cover - Grey Boxes Are? / U2 Album Cover Rip-Off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are those grey boxes?

• Boxes = Text Placeholder

Votes: 88 27.5%
  • Boxes = Something Else Open Interpretation

Votes: 164 51.3%
  • Boxes = Nothing

Votes: 68 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pure semantics. It's understood that "no line on the horizon" would mean what your photo suggests: that there is no line where the horizon would be.

Both that thread and this one are absurd.

A while back I ridiculed U2 for choosing such a nonsensical album title, No Line on the Horizon. Amazingly, many people here didn't quite understand that a horizon IS, in fact, a LINE. The album title is basically the equivalent of saying "no line on the line." Complete idiotic. The album should be called No Horizon, because if you can't see where the earth (or sea) ends and the sky begins for whatever reason, the horizon does not exist. The horizon is not a concrete thing, but rather what we perceive as a boundary of sorts.

But since then, I've given U2 some artistic leeway on the title. Why the heck not? Songwriters make these inane proclamations all the time. Not like U2 will realize their mistake and change the title now. Regardless, you would think the album cover would visually represent as closely as possible what "no line on the horizon" would look like. WRONG. This horizon (or the "line on the horizon", for the semantically-challenged) is as visible as the zits on a 14-year-old. Which makes the album title even more laughable. If you're gonna NAME it "no line", there should BE "no line", even one that is blurry in an attempt to mimic the intended meaning.

To show you what an album cover with no horizon SHOULD look like, here are some photos I found on the internet with horizons clearly missing. (Consequently, all of the following photos were titled or captioned 'No Horizon' on the webpages on which they were found.)

00sunrise27jan2008.jpg

No+Horizon+1.jpg

00nohorizon.jpg

U2, You aren't fucking doing it right!!! :angry:

:wink:

So... yeah.. then U2 should have used a cover like this

00sunrise27jan2008.jpg

to go with the title?

Ah well, we know they always like to do things ass backwards. :cute:

i think the title was just meant to be a mindfuck. they did this on purpose to piss off/confuse people. meanwhile, bono's probably reading these comments and laughing out loud.

It is a metaphor for no end in sight, no barriers. Next time I hope they have an album called "MUSIC" with images of treble clefs on the front. :down:

I think they should have used Sicy's picture-thinga-ma-jiggy with kitty on the equal signs, and called it "No Kitty on the Horizon." ...meow...

Edit: Or, better yet, since we're being analytical, they should call it "Kitty on the Horizon", since technically kitty has one paw over the horizon.

This doesn't even deserve a merge.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/u2-needs-to-look-up-the-word-horizon-189072.html

Seriously though, this guy is a broken record. And not a cool one that plays the good part of a song over and over. More like a copy of the White Album that gets stuck on Revolution #9.

That thread is about the merits of the album title. This is a thread about the album cover. But if the mods feel a merge is needed, go right ahead. I would have posted this in the other thread but it was locked.

That thread is about the merits of the album title. This is a thread about the album cover. But if the mods feel a merge is needed, go right ahead. I would have posted this in the other thread but it was locked.

If I were in your shoes, considering you've already made a thread on this topic which was locked, I would have just kept this to the general album cover discussion thread on page 2. This is a borderline spin-off thread, but the first one was made so long ago that no one will make a big deal about it.

Again, nothing is more nonsensical than Achtung Baby. Try explaining the merits of that. It doesn't even have a German baby on the cover.

all i gotta say is i love this album title 10 times more because of this thread. Maybe the title's meant to be a joke

the_unforgettable_fire.jpg

OH MY GOD There's no unforgettable fire on the cover!

U2-How-To-Dismantle-307954.jpg

That doesn't look like instruction to dismantle an atomic bomb, U2 phail :sad:

If I were in your shoes, considering you've already made a thread on this topic which was locked, I would have just kept this to the general album cover discussion thread on page 2. This is a borderline spin-off thread, but the first one was made so long ago that no one will make a big deal about it.

Again, nothing is more nonsensical than Achtung Baby. Try explaining the merits of that. It doesn't even have a German baby on the cover.

And "Rattle and Hum" should have had a baby rattle on its cover. Two baby related themes in a row...then they went all non-baby with zooropa...what the hell?

the topic of this trhread falls over in the definition. You cant baldly state something liek the horison IS a line.

A horizon is a perceived line. Key word is PERCEIVED. The line doesn't physically exist, it is just something we see as a barrier between to distinct phenomina. its not like on our view of the spectrum, someone grabbed a Sharpie and separated the earth and sky.

Anyway, that PERCEIVED LINE is the searation of the earth and sky. We can extend this to assume that every horizon, every perception of our extended field of view has this separation, because there will always be a perceiveable difference between the earth and sky.

The title refers to not being able to see a line that is there. The imagery is that the colours of the sea and sky melt into one, and that the line we take as given that exists is blurred into obscurity.

In no way does that not make sense.

The sky and earth never really meet. What we see as sky where it 'meets' the earth is actually a long way off behind the earth, so the meeting point can't exist. It is given that it is only perceived, and not real.

And you didn't realize there's an all encompassing thread about the album cover, where many posters have already made the same observations you have... except they were much quicker?

No, I didn't realize. Thanks for making me realize and now I'll ask the mods for a merge.

I post things on my own time, independent of other people's observations that I wasn't aware of.

Back
Top Bottom