Confirmed Album Cover - Grey Boxes Are? / U2 Album Cover Rip-Off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are those grey boxes?

• Boxes = Text Placeholder

Votes: 88 27.5%
  • Boxes = Something Else Open Interpretation

Votes: 164 51.3%
  • Boxes = Nothing

Votes: 68 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay, all I want to know is whether or not the band and album name will be on the cover - if not, that's pretty ballsy for a band of U2's magnitude. Do we have any confirmation one way or the other on this?

Also, I like the equal sign.

To be honest with you guys...I never looked at album covers much. My days as a music fan started with a Sony Walkman, and have progressed through my latest iPod. In a way, I think this is a good thing, because I'm more focused on the music coming in to my ears than on the album covers. I don't even download them onto my iPod. But I wonder...with the iPod evolution...do you think designers are starting to choose album covers that might look particularly good on our little iPod screens? I can see how the media might drive the design to some extent...and I think the NLOTH cover might look really good on a tiny little iPod screen.

Okay, all I want to know is whether or not the band and album name will be on the cover - if not, that's pretty ballsy for a band of U2's magnitude. Do we have any confirmation one way or the other on this?

No they won't. The graphic director said they decided against it and I think it's good that way.

All versions of NLOTH on both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk now have NO EQUALS SIGNS on the cover. It's just the image of the sea. What's up with that?

31iAyEykxXL._SL500_AA240

:scratch:

That's odd.

I saw that too.

I hate to say this...because I've bashed the site so much...but if U2.com has the official album cover INCLUDING the equals sign then I would go with that.
I still contend that they might do something a bit "outside of the box" (literally) and embed the equals sign on the jewel case so that when its closed you'll see it over the horizon and when you open it you won't. It would be a pretty interesting thing to do. For all of the other cases where there wouldn't be a jewel case or cover liner or something they could just print the sign right on the booklet.

Honestly I think it looks better without the gray bars, I hope they are out of the picture (literally ha ha!).

Thread Starter Here -- the Final Answer IS:

Grey Boxes = Text Placeholder i.e. U2 NOPE
Grey Boxes Mean Something Else Open to Interpretation i.e. land, sea, heaven, hell, ying, yang, what, ever NOPE
Grey Boxes Mean Absolutely Nothing i.e. a cool image gets blemished for no reason NOPE

So, essentially we had 220 votes, 314 replies and over 10,000 views for absolutely nothing cuz, at least in my opinion, and I started this damn mess, the equal signs are NOT even part of the official artwork. If they are not predominant on the official website under Discography, then they are not part of the artwork, IMO.

Thanks for playing, collect your parting gift on your way out.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom