Coldplay's 'Viva La Vida' vs. U2's 'TBA'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course Coldplay are gonna get bashed on here, when compared to U2.

You're right, though--those lyrics seem U2-inspired. Good thing the songwriting Coldplay surrounded those lyrics with is actually good (unlike the music U2 surrounded The Playboy Mansion or The Wanderer with).

I'm actually pretty objective with Coldplay's work and enjoy them too, maybe not as much as you do. There's no way Viva can touch AB or Zooropa for me. I think 'Rush of Blood to the Head' is still their best whole hearted effort, right there with AB. Right now it seems like they don't know what they want, and it feels like they haven't identified themselves.

But, your last comment, particularly about 'The Wanderer', :doh: not surrounded by good music??? To quote Zooropa, 'What do you want?' The Wanderer is perfect. Post-apocalyptic crazy synthed-out with Johnny Cash on vocals- the definitive experimental song of U2, even handing the lead vocals over to someone outside the band. If you think Zooropa is bad, I don't even want to venture what you think 'Elvis Ate America' is :slant:

Reportedly, Coldplay had a poster of UF hanging on their studio wall while recording X&Y. Perhaps they're more visionary than we give them credit for. :hmm:

:hmm: I remember reading that was a JT poster.

Anyway, let's do this thread after U2's TBA comes out.

ah...what a thread!

:giggle:

first of all, tourist, you are crazy :tsk:

most of my thoughts on Coldplay have been unleashed in the B & C Viva La Vida discussion threads...so I'll try to keep them to a minimal here...

If U2's next record isn't better than Viva La Vida I will be deeply frustrated...but I have confidence in U2 that they will absolutely destroy VLV with the upcoming album. I mean VLV is already starting to bore me...poor Coldplay, Brian Eno could only do so much for them :shrug:

I'll attempt objectivity.

VLV: had some great moments. It is a very enjoyable album. If I wasn't holding out for a U2 classic, it'd probably make it as my no.1 for 2008. But I actually think a lot of what I like about it comes from Eno rather than from Martin and co. (And for the record, I really don't think that they're just U2 wanna-bes. They're obviously admirers, but no more than U2 are of their predesessors. Just as much Who, Doors, Dylan, Velvet Underground and Joy Division is in U2's earlier work as there is U2 in Coldplay. The relentless bashing on these boards is really getting tiresome. rant over.)

U2's TBA: we have some very promising stuff coming out of Adam's video blog and the tantalising hints that Lilywhite, Eno and Lanois keep dropping are building this album up to be a knockout. U2 on their worst day are still my number one. I can't help a healthy heap of bias in their direction.

But having said all that, I guess I'm reserving judgement. There's no way to really know until after we actually hear the album.

Yeah, I also think it doesn't make much sense to compare an album that has been released recently to an album that hasn't been released yet and that we don't know anything about. Let's talk again in a couple of months, shall we?

Of course Coldplay are gonna get bashed on here, when compared to U2.

ANSWER: This is a U2 website
DING DING DING!!!!! BIG SURPRISE!

Anyway, as an album as a whole, I like Viva La Vida by Coldplay better than anything U2 has done (as a whole album) since '87.

You're right, though--those lyrics seem U2-inspired. Good thing the songwriting Coldplay surrounded those lyrics with is actually good (unlike the music U2 surrounded The Playboy Mansion or The Wanderer with).

Yeah, sure, that's why a whole lot of the reviews whether they like the album or not talk about how much it sounds like U2? One of the positive reviews I read the guy said "Once you get over the fact that it feels like Bono or Thom Yorke should be singing these songs it's a great album". The problem doesn't seem to be that the album isn't good or even great to some people just that it soulds like a U2 album therefore Coldplay gets knocked for not staking their own ground.

It doesn't help that Chris Martin's comments in interviews about always comparing Coldplay albums to U2 albums and therefore this is their Unforgettable Fire because it's their fourth and of course because of that using Brian Eno. Martin has talked before about using U2's blueprint to success but it sounds like he's trying to remake their catalog as well instead of being Chris Martin he's trying to Bono or sometimes Yorke. Maybe he should have just formed a U2 tribute band and be done with it.

Since you like it if the new U2 album doesn't suit you just substitute Coldplay.

Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom