Cold Dream Colour - sign of what's to come?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hollow Island

New Yorker
I can't believe that there isn't a thread for this wonderful piece of work yet. I just heard it today for the first time (well, six songs) and it's incredible. I'm new to it, but I haven't had such a positive initial reaction to anything they've done since Pop. It's more or less ambient, and similar to Captive (though much, much better) and parts of OST 1 and has some of Edge's most effective use of his style. I'm not sure if he just dropped some chimes over Paul Chavez's material, but either way it's an outstanding collaboration.

U2 are supposedly chasing the perfect pop song (didn't they already do that with ATYCLB?), but I wonder if Cold Dream Colour represents Edge's headspace at all, and if it will have any effect on the new album. Who knows what Bono means by "pop song" anyway. For all we know he's been listening to Neu! 2 and thinks it's a pop masterpiece.

For anyone who hasn't hear this here's a clue:
cold dream colour u2start google

Hopefully it will get a commercial release because it is great. My favourite album of the year.

Just found a link for the performance:
http://vimeo.com/37590095

Depending on your appreciation for modern dance you might want to listen to the music separately, but it seems pretty good.

As someone who really likes Passengers, I wouldn't mind if they went in that general direction again. Combine Passengers with Danger Mouse... :hmm: :drool:

Pop songs with post rock soundscapes. A case could be made that that's U2's genre...

Wait..Cold Dream Colour is your favorite album of the year?? :huh:

Sorry, there's almost nothing about this that I want to hear on the new U2 album. I want songs, not ambience. Maybe you're thinking of the next Eno album, or something.

what I've heard sounds really good, I love it when The Edge (or U2 in general) go atmospheric.

Does someone have the 8-track CD? if so could they post it? Most of us had no chance to buy this, so it would only be fair...

Edge has always had this kind of music in him.. I'd love if this were to inform the new album sessions.

but in response to the thread's title - I dont think this is a sign of what's to come

Agreed. This is not what I want. But holy crap that is weird. I was expecting a human centipede at any moment .

some parts are more song friendly than others.. the 7th piece. starts of with this deep rhythmic drone, and then Edge plays a nice a lead over top.

fuck guys, the music is there. some of this is really beautiful. Edge has got some great stuff in him..

Wait..Cold Dream Colour is your favorite album of the year?? :huh:

Sorry, there's almost nothing about this that I want to hear on the new U2 album. I want songs, not ambience. Maybe you're thinking of the next Eno album, or something.

Different strokes.

I'd like a combination of ambience and song, which I think is where U2's strength lies.

There actually quite a bit going on with a few of these pieces. It's completely unrelated to pop music though. It's at the far end of post rock, and isn't too far removed from modern composition or "home listening" (I got that one from boomkat...)

of course, the best parts of this soundtrack could be coming from the other guy, Paul Chavez.. another guitarist, in the ambient/industrial vein.. Google

I'd like a combination of ambience and song, which I think is where U2's strength lies.

Yes please.

I don't think an album of music like this is where U2 should go. But I really love it when they can blend elements of ambient music like this with "real songs".

I just downloaded the first 5 tracks and I'm starting to listen now. The only bummer is that the download site said I had reached my download limit for the day! Guess I'll have to hope the last 2 tracks are still up tomorrow...

of course, the best parts of this soundtrack could be coming from the other guy, Paul Chavez.. another guitarist, in the ambient/industrial vein.. Google

Yeah, there's no way to know if Edge contributed anything more than the parts that are obviously him. I like to think he was responsible for more than the chimes, but after listening to it for a few days I'm not too confident that he is. Not that it matters for the purpose of this record because I really like it, but if the new U2 record is going to be any good he needs to bring a bit more creativity to the studio.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem, or if anyone can offer advice. I found some links to download this which offered 7 tracks. Now, according to everything else i've read, the SDTK has 8 tracks. After doing some research, i believe that my "source" left out track 4. i tried to contact the uploaded but he never responded. i guess specifically i was wondering if anyone knows how or where i can get the missing song. I'm certainly willing to pay for it/buy it...It drives me crazy, missing a track!

if anyone has any comments id be oh, so grateful.

thanks

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem, or if anyone can offer advice. I found some links to download this which offered 7 tracks. Now, according to everything else i've read, the SDTK has 8 tracks. After doing some research, i believe that my "source" left out track 4. i tried to contact the uploaded but he never responded. i guess specifically i was wondering if anyone knows how or where i can get the missing song. I'm certainly willing to pay for it/buy it...It drives me crazy, missing a track!

if anyone has any comments id be oh, so grateful.

thanks

I think I saw your posts on U2 start. I was looking forward for the original poster to reply to your queries. I'd love to hear track 4! Hopefully this album will get a commercial release; it doesn't make sense to keep such wonderful music made by a major artist a secret.

What I don't get is the absence of any sort of buzz about this. It's a new record by the Edge (in collaboration with Paul Chavez, but still...) and it's reasonable to think this is something that people would be excited about, or at least interested in hearing.

I don't get it. I can understand people not enjoying it, but I can't comprehend U2 fans not wanting to hear it. Why the hell haven't people who have been to the show and bought CDs spread the files?

I didn't realize it was a "show" to catch. I thought it was a one-off performance? Going to the site, I don't even really see anything about where/when it is?

COLD DREAM COLOR a Dance Homage to Louis le Brocquy

What am I missing here?

Honestly, I hadn't heard anything about it until this thread. I see two reviews on the site from 2010 ... is this still going on? Or was it a very short run, and for whatever reason, it didn't get a lot of play in the U2 world? (Edit: I see another link to a review of its US debut from this past March.)

If there's a soundtrack to be bought, maybe those U2 fans who have seen it don't feel right about sharing it for free, as it's not U2 missing out on potential sales, but other artists in play here, who aren't mega-rich.

That's just my first reaction, not really knowing anything about it.

Yeah I emailed them too. Same response. Maybe if we inundate them with requests, someone will get the hint.

I imagine a sigh, possibly and eyeroll, followed by the sentence: "Oh crap, the U2 fans found out about the CD."

:wink:

I just downloaded the first 5 tracks and I'm starting to listen now. The only bummer is that the download site said I had reached my download limit for the day! Guess I'll have to hope the last 2 tracks are still up tomorrow...

Where did you download the tracks?

Back
Top Bottom