Chris Evans to hear new album at Mercury Records tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm actually dreading Moment Of Surrender.

1. No way it lives up to the hype in a million years.

2. A 7 minute song recorded in one take? Sounds like potentially aimless wankery to me.

3. It's sandwiched in between Magnificent and Unknown Caller, two tracks I honestly believe could be all-time U2 classics.

Or it could be seven minutes of One Step Closer.

I'm not saying that OSC is a bad song - just keeping things in perspective. :wink:

2. A 7 minute song recorded in one take? Sounds like potentially aimless wankery to me.

3. It's sandwiched in between Magnificent and Unknown Caller, two tracks I honestly believe could be all-time U2 classics.

fair enough, but I highly doubt U2 would drone on for 7+ minutes, and keep a song they did in one take unless it was truly special and truly worthy :)

I wouldnt say dreading, but I am afraid it wont live up to the hype and people here will bash it mercilessly.

Lanois is getting excited about NLOTH as well, so maybe we are in for a Joshua Tree style start, first 4 songs will be classic :up: Good that there can be so many parralells drawn between this and both JT and AB

I believe it can live up to the hype
But the "one take" story is BS. That Gavin's board video just confirmed this with that note about Eno wanting to talk about the song. The idea or the whole song might have been created in one take, but I'm sure they changed it a lot since. I doubt they recorded it and never touched it again like they say. That video proves that.

I also doubt that a 7 minute song is a 1-take thing, with no alterations. I don't think Bono could even come up with more than 3 minutes worth of lyrics in one jam session. So unless most of it is just the band going for it, and Bono randomly blurting stuff as it comes into his head like tourettes, there definitely was probably work done to MOS.

I also doubt that a 7 minute song is a 1-take thing, with no alterations. I don't think Bono could even come up with more than 3 minutes worth of lyrics in one jam session. So unless most of it is just the band going for it, and Bono randomly blurting stuff as it comes into his head like tourettes, there definitely was probably work done to MOS.

see Elvis Presely and America

Exactly. That's why I'm fearing it.

Plus Eno REALLLLLY likes it...and that scares me. I like it when Eno's vision is filtered through the more sensible Lanois.

By the way, I'm officially an ignorant American. When I first read the thread, I initially thought Chris Evans was a host at TGIFridays.

I listened to Chris Evans last night, he'd listened to the album and said he wasn't allowed to say anything about it. However he did say that as soon as he'd finished hearing it, his first words were "put it on again! and again..." he seemed to absolutely love it.

I listened to Chris Evans last night, he'd listened to the album and said he wasn't allowed to say anything about it. However he did say that as soon as he'd finished hearing it, his first words were "put it on again! and again..." he seemed to absolutely love it.

That's a good sign. :D

I bet he really wanted to say something about it.

1. The hype is exactly why it will be interesting to hear, personally speaking. I mean "best song I ever did with U2" (Eno) ? This I gotta hear.

2. Or maybe they actually got something amazing. Wasn't One supposably written in 15 minutes ?

3. How about 3 out of 3 for classics ?

I have no concept whatsoever of MOS. I have no idea how it's supposed to sound like. I don't have any clear expectations regarding that song. So I will be surprised the first time I hear it. I hope it lives up to its length.

Apparently its a Joshua Tree like gospel type song, please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm pretty sure GOYB is the worst or second worst song of the album.

Nobody (Eno, Lanois, etc...) ever said that GOYB was their favourite song.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's rather a good news.

Nobody (Eno, Lanois, etc...) ever said that GOYB was their favourite song.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's rather a good news.

Promotion-wise, that wouldn't make much sense.

If you heard Boots, you've heard it all. No need to listen to the whole album, because everything there goes downhill from GOYB.

I believe it can live up to the hype
But the "one take" story is BS. That Gavin's board video just confirmed this with that note about Eno wanting to talk about the song. The idea or the whole song might have been created in one take, but I'm sure they changed it a lot since. I doubt they recorded it and never touched it again like they say. That video proves that.

that's how i've interpreted the "1 take" statement all along.

Maybe that was a subtle reference to Mercy being on the album.

:lol:

:wink:

Promotion-wise, that wouldn't make much sense.

If you heard Boots, you've heard it all. No need to listen to the whole album, because everything there goes downhill from GOYB.
What's wrong with GOYB?

I think it's a cracking song.

I think I remember someone saying that it was the only "only single" on the album, no other song is as radio friendly - bodes well for the rest of the album in my opinion, possibly meaning the other music is less accessible to fewer listens and to "today's-low-attention-span-radio-listening/mtv-watching-public".

I don't know.

Were the GOYB lyrics recorded in one take then?! The song's growing on me slightly but the words are dire. If this is the best Bono can come up with given a few years of intermittent recording, then it's clear that the seemingly endless indecision surrounding every new U2 album revolves entirely around the musical arrangements. For those who want to know more, the full GOYB lyrics are available here:

U2.com | Official News

Having said that though, if these were 'Highway 61 Revisited'-era Bob Dylan lyrics, then they'd be lauded as something comparable to Rimbaud!

In terms of MOS, I'd suggest that it could've been recorded in one take if Bono was singing pre-written lyrics. Or, Larry, Edge and Adam recorded the music in one take, with the vocals added afterwards. Or, it really is a totally spontaneous creation; if so, then expect lots of list-type lyrics with 'fly / sky' rhyming.

Were the GOYB lyrics recorded in one take then?! The song's growing on me slightly but the words are dire. If this is the best Bono can come up with given a few years of intermittent recording, then it's clear that the seemingly endless indecision surrounding every new U2 album revolves entirely around the musical arrangements. For those who want to know more, the full GOYB lyrics are available here:

U2.com | Official News

Having said that though, if these were 'Highway 61 Revisited'-era Bob Dylan lyrics, then they'd be lauded as something comparable to Rimbaud!

In terms of MOS, I'd suggest that it could've been recorded in one take if Bono was singing pre-written lyrics. Or, Larry, Edge and Adam recorded the music in one take, with the vocals added afterwards. Or, it really is a totally spontaneous creation; if so, then expect lots of list-type lyrics with 'fly / sky' rhyming.

what's so bad about the lyrics? i really like the "Satan bomb scare" and "Submarine/Gasoline" lines.

it seems like Bono's lyrics are a convenient thing to go after, yet no one ever has examples of why his lyrics are so bad, other than citing "Elevation" over and over again.

Back
Top Bottom