Chris Evans to hear new album at Mercury Records tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe that Lanois (on the Making Of...) also said that Running to Stand Still was another of those "one take" tracks too (like Bad was). :drool:

I think he means they got most of the music and a big 'feel' for the idea of the song on the first play, then finished it off later with proper lyrics and stuff. I reckon they mean the same sort of thing with the 'one take' comments about Moment Of Surrender. You can actually hear Edge play the original jam of Running...in the documentary . (you have to wait till about 6 mins in for it though, sorry)

YouTube - Classic Albums: The Joshua Tree (Part 5)

Of course MoS was not entirely written, recorded and arranged in one take. I'm sure it's more like Running to Stand Still, One, or Bad, all done very quickly and impulsively, but that doesn't mean they didn't work on it a bit more after the first take (especially lyrics-wise).

If that's the case that bodes really well, because these songs are classic. But 7 min IS very long! Can actually be too long if the song is not that good ;)

With most of the "one take" songs that U2 talks about, what they really mean is that the music is usually only played through once and then they cut and paste and piece together a song out of a jam. While there may be a good start on lyrics in with these jams the actual vocal is usually recorded later, although sometimes some of the original vocals are left in for extra layers or backing. I think they had said at one point that MOS was from a 30 minute jams session that they edited down into the song but the band did not play the music again. This is one of the reasons that U2 often talks about having to learn the songs for the tour. Sometimes it is because the songs are actually created through cut and paste and have never actually been played as a song.

Dana

With most of the "one take" songs that U2 talks about, what they really mean is that the music is usually only played through once and then they cut and paste and piece together a song out of a jam. While there may be a good start on lyrics in with these jams the actual vocal is usually recorded later, although sometimes some of the original vocals are left in for extra layers or backing. I think they had said at one point that MOS was from a 30 minute jams session that they edited down into the song but the band did not play the music again. This is one of the reasons that U2 often talks about having to learn the songs for the tour. Sometimes it is because the songs are actually created through cut and paste and have never actually been played as a song.

Dana

Yeah, that's closer to what I was thinking.

Yeah, that's closer to what I was thinking.

I seem to recall Exit was created this way, and the band had little to do with the cutting and pasting. Just the jam that Eno and Lanois whittled away at later. I'd love to have the confidence to create music like that.

Lyrically, this is a quintessential U2 song: there are two sides to it. The sexy/romantic love/rock n' roll side is a campy, kinky, ode to sexy boots. The moral/religious/political side is a call to arms, to strap on your boots, and get ready to get to work.

Lyrically, this is a quintessential U2 song: there are two sides to it. The sexy/romantic love/rock n' roll side is a campy, kinky, ode to sexy boots. The moral/religious/political side is a call to arms, to strap on your boots, and get ready to get to work.

Totally agree

You're right.

I just meant they sometimes seem to lead you in the wrong direction. At first look they often seem to mean something that changes once you look closer.

Back
Top Bottom