Brian Eno's Moment of Surrender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
There's a beautiful interview with Brian Eno on the new U2.com where he talks about how Moment of Surrender was created, I think it's very interesting and you can also feel how emotional the process must have been for everyone involved. Interestingly, Brian says there was one more verse that they cut, so the song was even longer originally than it is now. I would have loved to hear the whole version.

U2.com > News > Eno's Moment of Surrender

if only they'd cut that stupid section out when bono goes on about an atm machine it would be close to the perfect song.

if only they'd cut that stupid section out when bono goes on about an atm machine it would be close to the perfect song.

Actually I like that part and don't find it stupid.

There's not one second I'd cut out of this song. It all fits very well.

Yesterday I was listening to MOS (haven't listened to the album in a few days) and it really hit me as an awesome. Its such a unique emotional U2 song. Pretty much a gospel.

so.........I guess he thinks the song is pretty good?

:wink:

Brian Eno is so right! MOS should have been the first single! This would have proven to be a much riskier and adventurous move than Boots but would have ultimately (I think) served the album better. MOS would have helped set the table and raise expectations for a second bigger single (Magnificent) in the same way With or Wthout You set up Still Haven't found and Streets! I fear boots may ne turning many people off to U2 and that they just won't be listening or be plain U2 saturated when the magnificent Magnificent hits the airways!

I guess it's no use crying over spilt milk!

Releasing Moment of Surrender as a single would be like releasing Bad as a single. Some of the more independent stations might play it, but most would be like :huh: and they'd probably make a single edit which would ruin the song...

but hey, WOWY was an interesting choice for a single, so you never know. I think WOWY is catchier though.

The Eno video was cool, I didn't really get the impression that he liked the song much though ...:wink:

Sounds like quite a magical experience. Wish I could have been in the studio to see that happen!

Video was working for me, then kicked me out of Interference and u2.com -logged back in now the video doesn't work. :shrug:
Damn, I was at the part where he said Larry came in and ..... gone.:|

Must have realized I wasn't a subscriber. :wink:

It's the second most played song from the album, according to last.fm, just behind Boots.

I wonder... was Brian Eno right about Moment being the ideal first single? :hmm:

Releasing Moment of Surrender as a single would be like releasing Bad as a single. Some of the more independent stations might play it, but most would be like :huh: and they'd probably make a single edit which would ruin the song...

but hey, WOWY was an interesting choice for a single, so you never know. I think WOWY is catchier though.

The Eno video was cool, I didn't really get the impression that he liked the song much though ...:wink:

Sounds like quite a magical experience. Wish I could have been in the studio to see that happen!

That's the point.. U2 are know to take advantage of their status to F... Up the mainstream! Radio stations played THE FLY didn't they! The Beauty of U2's music is good or bad.. it will be played on the mainstream RADIO. Especially the first single from the most anticipated album of the year. U2's legacy is that they have always challenged radio and their fans with music they didn't know they wanted to hear!

Very cool and insightful interview...would love to see more of it. I like the way Eno imitates the strange sounding loop in the song.

The vid's not working for me, either.

I'm liking the song more and more each day, especially now that I know the words and I can try to sing loud like Bono. :wink: The ATM machine part irks me a bit only because it's redundant to say "machine." That's what the "m" in ATM stands for. It's a Gospel/everyman song, so I'll let it slide this time. :wink:

Eno says it may be his favourite song on the album ... and I thought it was Breathe! :lol:

Anyway, I heard an awful radio edit of MOS today and I'm actually glad that this wasn't and probably won't be a single.

Brian Eno is absolutely right: U2 should have made Moment of Surrender the first single, just for the hell of it. Radio/TV/etc would have HAD to have played it, since the first single off any U2 album always gets attention, automatically.

It's the best song on a fantastic album and it might be their best song ever. I want to see how they play it live before I go that far, though!

probably, but the fact that radio isn't the target demo anymore puts into question whether an edit would be necessary at all. i mean, people downloading from iTunes don't care if a song is long.

besides, its not like Boots is getting any airplay. At All. I haven't heard it even ONCE on any of the stations out here in Los Angeles. U2 needs to stop caring about radio play and embrace the new technology. I have heard Radiohead's House Of Cards on XM and streaming internet radio sites a ton, and that's hardly a 3 minute pop single.

Eno says it may be his favourite song on the album ... and I thought it was Breathe! :lol:

I think this was yet another case of shoddy journalism.

The very first time the song was mentioned was in the context of Eno saying he thought it was the best U2 song he's 'worked on'.

Then it went from this^ to him "saying" it was their best song ever to being a completely different song (Breathe).

Just like Full Metal Jacket the name of the friggin demo that would become Native Son, that would become Vertigo, made it into Rolling Stone.com (perhaps even the magazine) a month or so before the tracklisting for HTDAAB was announced.

It's just "reporters" scouring the internet and regurgitating material.

Actually I think the Q magazine article that crossed the two songs, was either a simple mistake (one that's a little hard to believe) or it was the Q mag writer reading something on the internet and extrapolating from there.

And then that was repeated in at least two reviews I read, so whether Q made an honest mistake and crossed the names up (which again, is hard to believe) but it's unbelievable that it would then get repeated at least twice more beyond that.

Music journalism on the internet is largely not even journalism.
There are still some good ones for sure, I don't mean to paint them all with broad strokes but there is a culture of lazy journalists out there, who's source could be listed as (insert search engine here).

probably, but the fact that radio isn't the target demo anymore puts into question whether an edit would be necessary at all. i mean, people downloading from iTunes don't care if a song is long.

besides, its not like Boots is getting any airplay. At All. I haven't heard it even ONCE on any of the stations out here in Los Angeles. U2 needs to stop caring about radio play and embrace the new technology. I have heard Radiohead's House Of Cards on XM and streaming internet radio sites a ton, and that's hardly a 3 minute pop single.

Yeah, I don't think Boots is exactly taking the airwaves by storm, but MTV is airing the Boots video quite frequently (edited portion, at least ... maybe 45 seconds of it) as the credits roll at the end of their shows. We all know MTV sucks because it never plays videos anymore, and instead they "squeeze" in edited clips of videos between programming blocks, so this is about as good as U2 can expect.

yeah well as much as I love Boots I think it was the wrong choice for a first single. It's kinda like Vertigo but less accessible. It took me many listens to really appreciate the song.

I still say Magnificent would have been the best first single.

But Moment of Surrender would have certainly been an interesting choice. I suppose U2 probably isn't gonna get radio play on the pop stations anymore anyway, that's all terrible rap and pop. Like, bad pop. And they're not really heavy/shitty enough for the alternative/nü-metal stations. That leaves basically independent and adult contemporary stations. So, hey, maybe you all are right, it could have been a good single. They could still release it ... doubt they will though.

Back
Top Bottom