Breathe - REM influenced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Has anyone noticed the similarity of Breathe to several REM songs?

I like this one, might even get the album.

BVS said:
I can see where the quick phrasing is REM like...

Exactly, the very rapid vocals in the first few verses - almost 'scat singing' although not quite - are very reminiscent of REM's 'End of the World as We know it and I feel Fine'.

When I first listened to Breathe, I immediately was reminded of:-

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign towers.
Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself churn.
Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood letting.
Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate.

(That's not a criticism, BTW.)

The second thing that reminds me of an REM song is the lyric:-

16th of June, Chinese stocks are going up
And I’m coming down with some new Asian virus

It puts me in mind of the lyric from REM's Daysleeper:-

The bull and the bear are marking
Their territories
They're leading the blind with
Their international glories

I'm the screen, the blinding light
I'm the screen, I work at night

It conjures up an image of a guy who is watching the markets a bit too often, which is something I must admit I can identify with.

Someone had raised the question in a thread back when the album was released. The rapid-fire verses reminds me a lot of "Departure" off New Adventures in Hi-Fi.

Someone had raised the question in a thread back when the album was released. The rapid-fire verses reminds me a lot of "Departure" off New Adventures in Hi-Fi.

:yes: I always think that, which is fine, sonically its quite unique from U2 or their influences, and the chorus is pure Bono/Edge melody, but those verses are delivered like Departure, and some of the lyrics are akin to Stipe.

I was thinking about Breathe the other day...

IMHO, Breathe seems to be the 00s Bullet the Blue Sky... the "speak"-rhyme in verse.

There's more I could say, but I'm tired.

In any case, I prefer BTBS.

I was thinking about Breathe the other day...

IMHO, Breathe seems to be the 00s Bullet the Blue Sky... the "speak"-rhyme in verse.

There's more I could say, but I'm tired.

In any case, I prefer BTBS.
I can't stand BTBS - I hope they stop playing it on this tour. Time for something new.

How is that?

Breathe and Unknown Caller are the only songs on the album that IMO sound like nothing they've ever done...very fresh.

Yeah, I don't agree it sounds like a Bomb b-side, but I can't agree with rest of the statement.

I think Breathe has moments that do sound familiar(not that that's bad), but songs like MOS, Fez, Cedars, NLOTH and to an extent Crazy have something that U2 have never done before...

I think Breathe has moments that do sound familiar(not that that's bad), but songs like MOS, Fez, Cedars, NLOTH and to an extent Crazy have something that U2 have never done before...

See, that's the great thing about the album, it really has a lot of fresh moments.

With soooo many songs in their catalogue, there is always that familiarity. For example, NLOTH sounds very fresh to me, but to me it's musically very reminiscent to The Fly. Not exactly the same, but both are in the key of E and have a very similar beat in the verses.

Breathe sounds like a HTDAAB B-side, a bad one.

Yeah, if any song sounds the closest to the HTDAAB sound, it's easily Breathe. The final part of the song after the solo is HTDAABtastic. This is not a good thing.

If there is an REM influence, it's not strong to me - but then I only really listen to eighties REM.

Here's where I see the comparison between the REM song and Breathe - the style of the verses are very similar. Other than the verses, I find no similarities between the two.

I think there's a BIG similarity here, rather than just a vague "oh, it's like Dylan or End of the World As We Know It because it's fast."

YouTube - R.E.M Departure Antwerp 2005-02-07

With soooo many songs in their catalogue, there is always that familiarity. For example, NLOTH sounds very fresh to me, but to me it's musically very reminiscent to The Fly. Not exactly the same, but both are in the key of E and have a very similar beat in the verses.

Yeah, it's in the same key and the strumming pattern is the same, but the rest of the song has a very fresh approach...

There's only so many chords, instruments, strumming patterns, etc... you will always find similar veins even the most "experimental" bands have this happen when they've been around for a long time.

Take Oasis for example, they've written several songs in the same structure and pattern, so much so that you can find a handful of parodies on youtube, but they can still write a good song...

Here's where I see the comparison between the REM song and Breathe - the style of the verses are very similar. Other than the verses, I find no similarities between the two.

I think there's a BIG similarity here, rather than just a vague "oh, it's like Dylan or End of the World As We Know It because it's fast."

YouTube - R.E.M Departure Antwerp 2005-02-07

I don't follow REM like I used to, who is the second guitarist? Crazy looking dude...

REM photos always cracked me up, because you had STIPE and then three(now two) dudes that looked like they just left a Star Trek convention.

I can hear the influence... I've always been amazed by Stipe's ability to write and sing rapid fire lyrics, it's not an easy thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom