Breathe is overrated thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
I know for a lot of you this sounds like blasphemy, but I have a few problem with it (for now!)...

The difficulties with the song I seem to have are:

* The song doesn't sound "new" or innovative in what way whatsoever. To me, it sounds like a real HTDAAB-track.

* The pace/rhythm sounds like it drags and drags, Larry's predictable smash on the cymbal at all the same points underlines this dragging. Like the rhythm of "Trip Through Your Wires"... But here it works because it's a fun little song that's swaying instead of dragging.

* The song doesn't seem to know where it wants to go at several moments. It sounds like 3 or 4 songs chopped up and merged back together again.

* The sound is to "in your face" ...ehm....like 3 cats fighting between 4 tin rubbish cans.. or something like that... Just too loud and almost annoying like the sound of "All Because Of You" and "Crumbs"...

I might change my opinion but for now the song hasn't landed yet for me, and I don't get all the "Hallelujah's" about it... sorry.

I know for a lot of you this sounds like blasphemy, but I have a few problem with it (for now!)...

* The song doesn't sound "new" or innovative in what way whatsoever. To me, it sounds like a real HTDAAB-track.

* The pace/rhythm sounds like it drags and drags, Larry's predictable smash on the cymbal at all the same points underlines this dragging. Like the rhythm of "Trip Through Your Wires"... But here it works because it's a fun little song that's swaying instead of dragging.

* The song doesn't seem to know where it wants to go at several moments. It sounds like 3 or 4 songs chopped up and merged back together again.

* The sound is to "in your face" ...ehm....like 3 cats fighting between 4 tin rubbish cans.. or something like that... Just too loud and almost annoying like the sound of "All Because Of You" and "Crumbs"...

I might change my opinion but for now the song hasn't landed yet for me, and I don't get all the "Hallelujah's" about it... sorry.

No sorry wrong. :mad:

I kind of see where you're coming from with the cymbal thing...other than that...:shrug:. Love this song.

O.k...

I have one: "this is going to be a short thread" comment..

and one: "no sorry wrong"

Anybody willing to comment about the contents of my thread, like with real text and arguments or opinions?

I'll comment---Overrated on what scale? Very few people have mentioned this as the best/their favorite song on the record.

And why does it need to sound "new" (in quotes because?) or innovative to be appreciated?

I don't like the song, either... The chorus, especially the "Waaalk out...." part ..I find it pretty lame. And the "Breeeeathe" part at the end of the chorus with the guitar going up & down... boring.

And, I must say, I didn't like the beach clip of the song, either... :|

I'm surprised to see this has become a popular early favourite. I enjoy the song, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely one of the new tracks I've played least (partly because I think its album placement is terrible; it sounds quite good between Crazy Tonight and Boots instead). It definitely has a strong HTDAABy feel, especially in the chorus, and I feel like Bono's overdoing it on the fast verses. The drum intro and guitar solo are good stuff, though.

Its in my top 3 of the album & reminds me of Gone from Pop. In the sense that it might be the best rocking song on the album, but you'll have to listen to the album to hear it. All the great U2 albums have killer tunes in the 2nd to last song spot:

-Electric Co.
-Exit
-Acrobat
-Please
-Breathe

I reckon point 2-4 are quite subjective as I personally never noticed that
point 1 makes my stomach turn as this quest for "innovation" that fans are after does my head in

point 1 makes my stomach turn as this quest for "innovation" that fans are after does my head in

exactly. i guess every song was supposed to sound like "Numb" on this album. i didn't get the memo either.

You blasphemer!

-Breathe is infinitely better than anything on HTDAAB. If you want to hear something that doesn't sound like U2, try listening to another band.

-Pace/rhythm is gorgeous; don't see what the problem is.

-It does seem to have two distinct sections (chorus & verse), but that only adds to its charm, and makes the soaring chorus even more orgasmic.

-Opinion. Disagree.

Ok, so I'm a Breathe fangirl. But this is the best song they have produced all friggin' decade, if you ask me. I feel no need to pick the song apart - all I know is that when I listen to it, it makes me feel incredible.

Its in my top 3 of the album & reminds me of Gone from Pop. In the sense that it might be the best rocking song on the album, but you'll have to listen to the album to hear it. All the great U2 albums have killer tunes in the 2nd to last song spot:

-Electric Co.
-Exit
-Acrobat
-Please
-Breathe

Add Dirty Day to that and yes, yes, and more yes. :up::up::up:

This song rules! I wish people would stop comparing new songs to old songs from the past! This song is what it is and should let it stand on its own! It is a great song and great played live!

Exactly. I keep saying it... just let U2 "add" to their collection. People like to defend old songs or albums or worse replace albums with new stuff.

You say "Breathe is overrated." I don't get these threads as it's not like there is a list of songs and everyone gave it a 99 out of 100.

You're saying, "I don't like it" here's why.

But to me a good song is like a funny joke. If you have to explain it, it's not doing it's job.

Right now it's my 2nd favorite on the album. It's in your face, catchy, and will KILL live.

No. Breathe is a grower. But once you get it, the song is glorious.

Absolutely :up:

When I first heared the leaked album, I completely dismissed Breath as an ok song. Now it is in my top 3 of the album! And seeing it being done live on BBC's Live Lounge :rockon: It blew me away!

I tend to agree with the first poster, it sounds a bit forced and almost Walk On part II.

And btw, I do get it, just dont like it as much as the other songs which are great!

I don't usually post in anti-song threads and will most likely post in threads of the opposite nature. I like to remain positive about U2 songs and do find that they can grow on you or change on you in a dime.

This particular song though I will agree somewhat with the original poster. I don't like Breathe and find that opinion probably won't change any time soon. I like the guitar but find some of the song is forced and the piano is not my cuppa tea either. This is my opinion though, not everyone is supposed to like all music the same. The Edge or Bono said that recently as well. You like it or you don't, big deal.

This particular song though I will agree somewhat with the original poster. I don't like Breathe and find that opinion probably won't change any time soon. I like the guitar but find some of the song is forced and the piano is not my cuppa tea either. This is my opinion though, not everyone is supposed to like all music the same. The Edge or Bono said that recently as well. You like it or you don't, big deal.

Now, this is the kind of opinion that I like. Everyone doesn't have to like the same songs. But when someone comes up and declares something is "overrated" (implying that he/she is the only objective voice when it comes to judging a song and everyone else is wrong if they don't agree) I get annoyed. It's the same when someone declares a song underrated.

Furthermore, it's irritating when people say that whoever dislikes a song/album will understand it sooner or later... oh, it's just a grower and you don't get it yet. Nuh uh. It is fully possible that a person really does not like a song.

That said, everyone should love Breathe. :sexywink:

Haha, I love how we had all these appreciation threads first and now the "I don't get this song" and "This song is overrated" threads are starting to show up.

Since I didn't like Breathe much in the beginning and ended up loving it, I must say, it's quite the opposite for me. I think it rocks live.

so far.......as with many u2 songs......it takes on a new life when played live.

Back
Top Bottom