Breathe is overrated thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #31
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I live where I don't wanna drown, but god I'm going down...(/UK/)
Posts: 1,539
Local Time: 02:09 PM
Give it a chance. It's been my leat favourite song on the album before, but whoosh, it sped up to third place only behind moment and caller (then stand up comedy and no line on the horizon)
__________________

__________________
adypole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #32
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 459
Local Time: 02:09 PM
I think it's far better live, there's something off about the production on the album I think, I can't put it in words but it comes off as a bit I dunno "obvious"? on the album
__________________

__________________
popshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #33
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 240
Local Time: 02:09 PM
I think that Breathe is probably one of the only songs on the album that isn't overrated.
__________________
bigloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
 
last unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: lost in poetry
Posts: 19,446
Local Time: 03:09 PM
There are actually songs on the album I find underrated.

When is the right time to start with the "underrated" threads?

__________________
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #35
Refugee
 
youarenotimmune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 1,766
Local Time: 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyourkneesboy View Post
* The sound is to "in your face" ...ehm....like 3 cats fighting between 4 tin rubbish cans.. or something like that... Just too loud and almost annoying like the sound of "All Because Of You" and "Crumbs"...
that's kind of what I thought the first time I listened to it as well. it just seemed too jumbled up and noisy. but I knew even then this one wud take a good number of listens to fully comprehend it! for your own good, I suggest u be more patient with this song, because i'm 99.99999 percent sure u'r goin to fall in uninhibited love with this absolutely JOYOUS song!

oh and all becuase of you is crap
__________________
youarenotimmune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by popshopper View Post
I think it's far better live, there's something off about the production on the album I think, I can't put it in words but it comes off as a bit I dunno "obvious"? on the album
I like the album version but it's a bit busy. The live version is more the "fuck-off live rocker" Edge(?) called it (the verses anyway). The cello is badass but I think I prefer the more raw version of Breathe.
__________________
AtomicBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,936
Local Time: 03:09 PM
It is overrated by Eno (U2 being U2 to the max, and being the ultimate U2 song) and Edge. (f--off live rocker?)
__________________
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #38
New Yorker
 
bram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,498
Local Time: 10:09 AM
It's funny--this was the song I was looking forward to least after the beach clip, but it really works for me now that I've heard it a lot on the album. Maybe the cello did the trick.
__________________
bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,925
Local Time: 12:09 AM
It lives up to it's beach clip and more....
__________________
intedomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #40
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,405
Local Time: 02:09 PM
What is it with Steve Lillywhite's production style these days? He's like a master of producing things that sound absolutely amazing on first listen, then get worse and worse after each succeeding listen.

I really want to love this song, but it just sounds, i dunno, neutored or something. And i was worshipping this as the second best song on the album after i first heard it!

I think Eno should've been the final word on this song, should've made it sound otherworldly and less BOMB-friendly. It's like a decent song that has been put thru the BOMB filter of mediocrity.

Fuck Lillywhite - don't let this guy anywhere near the studio.

And what happened to those crazy "breeeathee out...breeeaatthe" Bono shouts that we heard at the end of the beach clip? Why are we now subjected to what sounds like 4 measures of lame guitar looped 4 times. Way to ruin the climax. No catharsis after listening to this song. Just a feeling of "damn...missed opportunity" Not to mention it just sounds lost in between WAS and COL. Those 2 songs sound like a new, fresh, wiser, more world weary Bono, lived-in and experienced, no time for corny shit. Then this HTDAAB Bono crashes the party, and suddenly U2 sound like an MTV TRL NOW COMPILATION mainstream catering band again.

But stilll, i enjoy the song for what it is. Bittersweet song.
__________________
ozeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
LyricalDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SF Bay Area, California, USA
Posts: 3,212
Local Time: 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozeeko View Post
What is it with Steve Lillywhite's production style these days? He's like a master of producing things that sound absolutely amazing on first listen, then get worse and worse after each succeeding listen.

I really want to love this song, but it just sounds, i dunno, neutored or something. And i was worshipping this as the second best song on the album after i first heard it!

I think Eno should've been the final word on this song, should've made it sound otherworldly and less BOMB-friendly. It's like a decent song that has been put thru the BOMB filter of mediocrity.

Fuck Lillywhite - don't let this guy anywhere near the studio.

And what happened to those crazy "breeeathee out...breeeaatthe" Bono shouts that we heard at the end of the beach clip? Why are we now subjected to what sounds like 4 measures of lame guitar looped 4 times. Way to ruin the climax. No catharsis after listening to this song. Just a feeling of "damn...missed opportunity" Not to mention it just sounds lost in between WAS and COL. Those 2 songs sound like a new, fresh, wiser, more world weary Bono, lived-in and experienced, no time for corny shit. Then this HTDAAB Bono crashes the party, and suddenly U2 sound like an MTV TRL NOW COMPILATION mainstream catering band again.

But stilll, i enjoy the song for what it is. Bittersweet song.
lol... yeah, Lillywhite's shine seems to have faded a bit lately. I suppose he deserves credit for having delivered a commercial hit w/ HTDAAB (and it won 9 Grammys(!!) to boot), but from the hardcore fan's perspective, it seems like he turns potentially great U2 songs into syrupy, radio-friendly, commercial tracks... the so-called "Dad"-rock that gets played on adult-contemporary radio stations. *shrug*

I wish there was a way to let Eno & Lanois permanently run the production show. At this point, U2 should go for weird and avante-garde, instead of all the "biggest band in the world" and "be relevant" junk.
__________________
LyricalDrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #42
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,405
Local Time: 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalDrug View Post
At this point, U2 should go for weird and avante-garde, instead of all the "biggest band in the world" and "be relevant" junk.
Especially when to "be relevant" today means to have hardly any talent at all, and merely pay tribute to earlier artists (basically, what U2 did to themselves on the BOMB album...and what they thankfully only did to about 3 songs on NLOTH)instead of learning what made them great and using that shit to form something new and exciting.
__________________
ozeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #43
Babyface
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The City of Blinding Lights
Posts: 13
Local Time: 10:09 AM
Just saw them perform this at Letterman and it sounded phenomenal live. Let me put the doubt to rest this is going to be a crowd favorite on this tour. It sounds amazing live, better than on the album and it has the right energy for a U2 concert. I was on the fence about the hype but now that I have seen it live this is definitely one of my favorites. Catch it on Letterman but believe me when you see it live is when it really takes off. (Not unlike most of their big hits!)
__________________
dalivoxhewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #44
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 54,919
Local Time: 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm surprised to see this has become a popular early favourite. I enjoy the song, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely one of the new tracks I've played least (partly because I think its album placement is terrible; it sounds quite good between Crazy Tonight and Boots instead). It definitely has a strong HTDAABy feel, especially in the chorus, and I feel like Bono's overdoing it on the fast verses. The drum intro and guitar solo are good stuff, though.
This.

Hidden between White as Snow and Cedars, two of the much more quiet, reflective songs, it's the placement that kills it more than anything.
__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #45
Refugee
 
senrab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: somewhere in Maryland, formerly Buffalo NY
Posts: 1,761
Local Time: 10:09 AM
It took me 2 weeks of listening to it to like it, I still can't stand the "cockatoo" line though. LOL
__________________

__________________
senrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breathe

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com