BREATHE Appreciation - Discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, this song blows me away. I love the complexity of the lyrics...
I would love to know what Bono is talking about with the dates in the first verse 6/16 anybody know?
The only thing I can come up with is ( don't laugh I just googled it) 616 supposedly also a new number that marks the "beast" in the bible. ??? Google it.

The number 3? As in 3 things you need to know.. is he talking about the Holy Trinity? Father Son and Holy Ghost?

Also, 909 St. John the Divine, is he talking about the bible verse John 9:9?

Here's the verse and if you read the commentary below the verse I found online when I googled the verse, it kinda makes sense..the bit about grace. How cool is that? So the "beast" is the cunning salesman/stranger at the door....and he is telling him that there isn't anything he needs from him..
everyday is reborn, he finds grace.

JOHN 9:9 Some said, This is Him, others said, He is like him: but he said, I am He.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary:

9:8-12 Those whose eyes are opened, and whose hearts are cleansed by grace, being known to be the same person, but widely different in character, live as monuments to the Redeemer's glory, and recommend his grace to all who desire the same precious salvation. It is good to observe the way and method of God's works, and they will appear the more wonderful. Apply this spiritually. In the work of grace wrought upon the soul we see the change, but we see not the hand that makes it: the way of the Spirit is like that of the wind, which thou hearest the sound of, but canst not tell whence it comes, nor whither it goes.

Wow Jeannie, this is I think the most likely (and best imo) interpretation of these lyrics so far. I was getting these general ideas from hearing the lyrics myself, but not the specific references. This makes a lot of sense!

Like I said in another thread, I'm getting the impression that this is the most unabashedly spiritual album since October. I'm loving that. :up:

Breathe has gone from being my favorite song on the album to being my favorite U2 song of the decade. You heard me.

Wow Jeannie, this is I think the most likely (and best imo) interpretation of these lyrics so far. I was getting these general ideas from hearing the lyrics myself, but not the specific references. This makes a lot of sense!

Like I said in another thread, I'm getting the impression that this is the most unabashedly spiritual album since October. I'm loving that. :up:
Thank you!:hug:
I was just rambling, but it does kinda make sense doesn't it?
I love it when Bono gets all spiritual on us without hitting us over the head. It's so great.
Just like they have said in the past, it's there ( the spiritual part) for those who want it, and it shouldn't be for those who don't.

Love it!!:heart:
Only love can leave such a mark...

Great song, love the Dylan feel it has to it...I've always loved those rambling lyrics...half the fun is memorizing songs like these...

"16th of June, Chinese stocks are going up
And I'm coming down with some new Asian virus
Ju Ju man, Ju Ju man
Doc says you're fine, or dying
...Please"

I have no idea WTF Bono is talkin about but I like it :up: (Very "Visions of Johanna")

Great song, love the Dylan feel it has to it...I've always loved those rambling lyrics...half the fun is memorizing songs like these...

I really like the rambling lyrics too. This is my current favorite on the album right now. I think the song is going to cause me to either blow out my speakers or get a speeding ticket at some point in the near future. :sick:

Am loving reading all the interpretations of the lyrics so far. :up:

I think I should go listen to the beach clip of this now, haven't heard it yet. :hmm:

Innovative U2. :drool:

Love the drums, Larry is on fire, and i'm guessing thats Eno playing the piano/keyboards, very prominent.

One of Bono's best recent songs in songwriting. :up:

The Arabic Cello fits amazingly into the track, the Edge solo, while short is simply mouthwatering and although it is kinda 'guitar hero' like (well imo) it fits the song perfectly.

Does anyone think Breathe will be remembered as a classic song? :love:

This song and Magnificent were the songs I was worried about changing too much from beach clip form....while I still love the songs because the basic song structure has not changed.....Breathe has been slowed down a half step from it's beach clip days...as a result it has lost some of the punch it had...the cello is a nice touch though:up:

It's not as rocky as the beach clip, but still a fabulous rocker with that 'in your face' sort of attitude. :up:

I am just bumping this up because this song deserves the love - honestly, the more I listen, the more I love it. I'd have to say its my favorite on the album now, definitely wasn't when I listened to the album the first few times. This song is so complex, its incredible. Love it!! Every time I get in the car, its is THE song I want to listen to first as I am driving around, acting a fool, belting out the new U2 as I drive.

And now seeing how they performed it live, I know where my love is coming from - it is just an amazing song, plain and simple.:drool:

You know the 'not going to buy just anybody's cockatoo' line.
It sounds a bit silly and out of place, but I think it makes sense like this:

I think it means the the salesman at the door asking "do you want to live a bit longer", is selling it. (there actually has been research done with pets and their owners, that proves people with pets actually live longer)

It might have come from an experience by Bono or one of the band, where they opened the door and found a man selling a cockatoo, by claiming it would extend your lifespan. Cause it is a rather unique situation to invent.

Breathe is seriously one of my favorite U2 songs ever. There's so much more to it than there seems to be at first.

Incredible lyrics
Incredible vocals
Incredible instrumentals (looooove that break at 3:20 with the strings :drool: )

The sing along to this one live is going to go off. :combust:

You know the 'not going to buy just anybody's cockatoo' line.
It sounds a bit silly and out of place, but I think it makes sense like this:

I think it means the the salesman at the door asking "do you want to live a bit longer", is selling it. (there actually has been research done with pets and their owners, that proves people with pets actually live longer)

It might have come from an experience by Bono or one of the band, where they opened the door and found a man selling a cockatoo, by claiming it would extend your lifespan. Cause it is a rather unique situation to invent.

Honestly I think you're reaching here,I could be wrong....I know what a Cockatoo is but in this reference I just think Bono means...."coming from a long line of traveling salesmen,I wasn't just going to buy anyone's BULLSHIT"

Cockatoo being slang here for bullshit

ok.. that VIDEO JUST BLEW MY FRICKIN MIND.. ! :drool::hyper::applaud::love:

i finally just watched it for the first time.. holy shite! that is gonna be one hell of a rocker live! I CAN'T WAIT!

The "theres 3 things I need you to know, three" seems to be a shoutout to R.E.M.'s These Days which has a very similar lyric and delivery by Michael Stipe...

Love the live version I just saw of this on u2exit

Finally

I got the entire album today.... don't ask how. Finally they let the Edge go lose.
On Breathe.... an out of this world guitar solo. As far as the rest of the album.
For a Band who has been around for 30 years this new sound ... sounds fresh but with the traditional sound of Edge's VOX. Most bands who have been around this long can;t come up with nothing new... the sound is new.
For the true U2 fans it will bring a smile to your face as it did for me.
The songs have dense layers to them. Bono .... his voice is back. This time they delivered the goods. I now I thank them..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom