BREATHE Appreciation - Discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the best, but easily the most disappointing song on the album for me right now. I can't tell you how stoked I was about this song after hearing the beach clip. But they fiddled too much with the chorus. The glorious cloud-ride elements of the chorus are still there, but they've been rearranged. I could strangle 'em. It's going to take some time for it to congeal and take on a spirit of its own.

That said, I fully expect it to. Damn well better.

I can see why Eno said this was the "most U2" song he'd been a part of or something like this.

For me the best thing about Breathe is the way it builds; it really just gets better from a pretty promising start.

But the end: "I found grace inside the sound/I found grace/That's all I found"... that is what U2 is all about. And possibly what this album is about, IMO.
:up:

I love to hear that drumpart at the beginning live :D
Indeed what you describe is soooo true. Is it the complete song .. very very well done

I'm glad i didn't listen to the beach clips enough to let the changes they've made really affect my perception of the song. To me, at the moment, one of the most up-lifting songs since Beautiful day.

Play count for this song at 7409 :drool:

what a song. don't know if i agree with ENO as u2's best ever...but....hmmmm...its really great!

One of the best, but easily the most disappointing song on the album for me right now. I can't tell you how stoked I was about this song after hearing the beach clip. But they fiddled too much with the chorus. The glorious cloud-ride elements of the chorus are still there, but they've been rearranged. I could strangle 'em. It's going to take some time for it to congeal and take on a spirit of its own.

I wonder how many beach clip listeners feel let down with the album now. I'm glad I avoided it.

Similarly, NLOTH 2 has tainted the album version for me. I wish I hadn't heard the B side first.

I listened to the beach clips and i couldnt be happier with this album.

I wonder how many beach clip listeners feel let down with the album now. I'm glad I avoided it.

Similarly, NLOTH 2 has tainted the album version for me. I wish I hadn't heard the B side first.

The beach clip spoiled the first 5-6 times I listened to the song. Slowly I am hearing it on its own now, and really enjoying it, its a great great song.

I am surprised that the arrangement is so simple, actually, for a song that went through so many incarnations.

I just listened to the album again in a dark room and I really fell in love with Breathe, I had my doubts about that song first, I felt the verses and chorus didn't match. It's getting better now and I really love the end. The joyful chorus and Bono's "sing your heart out" are really uplifting, I enjoy it. There may be some details I liked more about the beach clip, but I won't go back to the clip, the album version is fine for me.

Yeah...I can't put my finger on what they changed, but the beach clip had something different, right? It'll take some getting used to...It seemed like the version on the beach clip flowed a lot better...

Yeah...I can't put my finger on what they changed, but the beach clip had something different, right? It'll take some getting used to...It seemed like the version on the beach clip flowed a lot better...

Really? I completely disagree. The song flows so much better from the verses to the chorus now. It sounded choppy before.

I think the piano might be bugging you guys. That's the only real addition I can pick out. Maybe some more heavily-layered vocals in parts.

I've only listened to the "beach clips" from the leak, but I was very relieved that the Breathe chorus was altered. The soaring-to-nowhere ala Orginal Of The Species/Crumbs From Your Table/Miracle Drug/Window In The Skies chorus we heard on the beach clip was horrendously putrid. The piano really helps in the album version. Cool track.

well the brilliant bridge part with where the bass and guitar standing out in a simple yet beautiful 10 second segment was sensational on the beach clip... now that does'nt even exist... its very sad, maybe just maybe if Breathe is a single it will show up on that edit... or they will do it live, but surely they cant do away with something that amazing.

I still like the song very much though

just listened the beach clip closely and really its mostly in our heads the beach clip and the cd version are really really similar - the only difference is the there is some falsetto in the beach clip chorus (which doesn't really work in such a loud song) instead of B's and Edges harmony (which also doesn't fit in the song in my oppion) and Bono sings a little over edges solo and in the outro - really no big changes the chorus is virtually the same

I am currently getting my ass kicked by Breathe....man, this is good sh!t

:love::love::love::applaud:

I'm with you on that.:up:

I find that it is physically impossible to get any work done while listening to this song. :uhoh:

:wink:

That's why I had to sneak around today to burn a copy at work so I could listen to it on better speakers and louder. I missed so much. I kept trying to turn it up loud yesterday, at work, but couldn't. It's almost as if I'm really hearing it for the first time tonight. Except I know some lyrics. :wink:

One of the most disapointing songs on the album, I will give it time.

Dude, give it time. It really is good. I'd recommend you get some really great headphones or earbuds; they make all the difference. Those crappy ipod earphones are shit...for those who use them now. There's so much going on in these songs that its a crime to not hear it all.

I can't wait to hear the better quality CD version.

I believe this is my favourite track so far. I really love it, and this is with Mario Karts in the background, trying to study, chatting to people around me, and on only a few listens.

Premature, maybe, but I know what I like!
:up:

I find that it is physically impossible to get any work done while listening to this song. :uhoh:

:wink:

same.

except for me it's with the whole album.

but yeah Breathe has grown on me a lot, it was my favourite beach clip but once I heard the album it wasn't one of my favourites, but now it is

the pre-chorus into the chorus is one of the most brilliant U2 moments ever

Breathe is probably the crappiest song on the album, Eno must have been on acid when he said it was the best. If you love it so much defend it.

This song has really grown on me. I LOVE it! I love the 1-2-3 waltz and the gorgeous chorus. Also, phoenominal guitar solo.

same.

except for me it's with the whole album.

but yeah Breathe has grown on me a lot, it was my favourite beach clip but once I heard the album it wasn't one of my favourites, but now it is

the pre-chorus into the chorus is one of the most brilliant U2 moments ever

i agree completely. the pre-chorus is probably their best :applaud:. its been stuck in my head since the whole thing first leaked

Back
Top Bottom