Breathe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's considered 'close-minded' to not like a song based on a 45 sec clip, then it's also close-minded to love a song based on a 45 sec clip.

No, it's close-minded to already make up your mind about a song based on 45 seconds. If you go in saying "pretty sure I'm not going to like it", then the fact is you probably aren't, but it's because you never gave it a chance.

If you "love" the 45 second clip but then when you hear the whole song and it doesn't exactly do it for you, so be it... But you didn't go in with an already established mindset. Now on the other hand if you've built this song up to be the best song ever based on a 45 sec clip then you are preparing yourself for a similar crash.

Given that this is a 5 minute song, 45 seconds probably doesn't do it justice, it can go to a lot of different places. If you played me only the first 45 seconds of 'All I Want Is You', I probably wouldn't be that impressed. But as it turns out, I love that song.

I think we should review all albums from now on based on 30-45 second clips of songs. Think of the massive time savings we could all benefit from!

Exactly! Especially with the fact that some songs are 6 or 7 minutes, because we can really get an idea of the quality of the song and how amazing it with at most a fifth a song.

i don't know about you guys, but I can totally review a song by only hearing at most a fifth of it. :doh:

(I realize you were being facetious, as am I, which is why I think this thread is ridiculous)

I find it odd that if someone says they're not sure about the song, they get crucified by others who say things like 'how do you know if you only heard 45 seconds?' And they are right. The problem I have is that usually those same people go on to talk about the same song in very intimate detail, and say how 'amazing' the song is. So what's the difference? Did they hear a different 'magical' 45 seconds? No, sorry. I Think it's way to early to make a judgment either way.

I find it odd that if someone says they're not sure about the song, they get crucified by others who say things like 'how do you know if you only heard 45 seconds?' And they are right. The problem I have is that usually those same people go on to talk about the same song in very intimate detail, and say how 'amazing' the song is. So what's the difference? Did they hear a different 'magical' 45 seconds? No, sorry. I Think it's way to early to make a judgment either way.

Who's is getting crucified for not being sure about a song? :scratch:

and don't forget most personas involved in the music scene they like the white lines and so they are not able to see the real line on the horizon... :lol:

Even if I like Breathe on the album I may like a live version better or I'll not like it in the future. It takes time to see what lasts. Achtung Baby is still fresh and I love listening to it even if I didn't like every song when I first listened to it. Come to think of it when I was a kid I didn't like WOWY at first but RHMT. Things change in your life and you end up liking different kinds of art overtime.

Heck even adding 15 seconds to SUC helped the impression even more.

I'm going to be absorbing this album for a while before I make up my mind on what status I think it should have.

Exactly! Especially with the fact that some songs are 6 or 7 minutes, because we can really get an idea of the quality of the song and how amazing it with at most a fifth a song.

i don't know about you guys, but I can totally review a song by only hearing at most a fifth of it. :doh:

(I realize you were being facetious, as am I, which is why I think this thread is ridiculous)

I just can't believe some of the posts that have popped up since the clips were aired.

Hats off to those of you who have analysed them and the beach clips to death though, I applaud you for something, I'm just not sure what.

I think we should review all albums from now on based on 30-45 second clips of songs. Think of the massive time savings we could all benefit from!

I'm pretty sure this is what Pitchfork does. "All right, what's this? The new U2 album? Put it in. No, actually, don't bother. I heard 45 second clips on the Intertubes, and I've already wrote my review. It's pretty good, but the songs are too short. 6.8/10."

beach clip sounded better.....should have stuck with more guitar and less piano. also the these days part wasnt needed. song was fine the way it was.

No, it's close-minded to already make up your mind about a song based on 45 seconds.

this.

how can anyone make up their mind about a 5 minute song that could go through so many changes throughout it on just 45 seconds????

What would you think if I played you the first 45 seconds of the title track: Zooropa? You would think it was some weird slow ambient track. But if you heard the whole thing you'd realize that it wasn't an ambient track per say; almost anything but that.

Lets wait till the album is out and make judgements then. This is a perfect reason why I am abstaining from listening to clips. Its hard NOT to establish some sort of prejudice or preconceived notion of what the song is going to be.

I love the attitude. I haven't heard the beach clips, so I have high hopes for this one based on some of the comments here from those who have heard the chorus. The Irish Independent said Breathe and Stand Up Comedy are the only two songs on the album that are duds. Those are two of my favorites based on the 45-second clips.

this.

how can anyone make up their mind about a 5 minute song that could go through so many changes throughout it on just 45 seconds????

What would you think if I played you the first 45 seconds of the title track: Zooropa? You would think it was some weird slow ambient track. But if you heard the whole thing you'd realize that it wasn't an ambient track per say; almost anything but that.

Lets wait till the album is out and make judgements then. This is a perfect reason why I am abstaining from listening to clips. Its hard NOT to establish some sort of prejudice or preconceived notion of what the song is going to be.

YYYEEEESSSSSSSSSS! thank-you!

beach clip sounded better.....should have stuck with more guitar and less piano. also the these days part wasnt needed. song was fine the way it was.

there's no way of knowing if the piano wasn't already in the song when we heard the beach clip.

Solution to this thread:

When NLOTH is released, take your laptop and a stereo out to the beach.

Play Breathe and record from your laptop at a distance of about 100 yards with the stereo at medium volume.

Rip your own NLOTH with crappy quality Breathe; you'll probably miss the piano and the cello and significant guitar parts, but you'll have your wave sound effects and "raw" production edge.

I'm actually most excited to hear Breathe based on the lyrics of the 45 second clips! Bono has a cocky swagger about his vocals:

There’s THREE…Things I need you to know,

THREE,
Coming from a long line of traveling sales people on my mother's side,
I wasn’t gunna buy just anyone’s cockatoo,
So why would I invite a complete stranger into my home?
Would you?

These days are better than that,
These days are better than that

I'm predicting the song to get more and more powerful and I can't wait to hear what the other two things are!

Back
Top Bottom