Boots vs Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which song do you like better?

• Vertigo

Votes: 70 29.3%
  • Get On Your Boots

Votes: 169 70.7%

• Total voters

BoyOnTheHorizon

Refugee
Before people get pissed with this topic i'll say right away that i think is a fair comparision since they are the last two first single of the last two albums and in the reviews Vertigo was cited as a kind of parameter. And this is not supposed to be a bash thread but for people to make a more detailed analyisis between this two songs.

All my friends who heard Boots today said that Vertigo is much better but Boots seems promising as a showcase of the new album.
As i said before Boots it's a clear step forward in terms of sound conception, and Bono brought a new aproach on his vocals which helps to break from the previous album. Vertigo in contrast is simple and heavier. And more catchy and invigorating, it's chorus makes the temperature rise.
What in my opinion Boots lacks the most is that in any moment the song take off. It doesn't go to that another place as BD or Vertigo.

C'mon people let's have a healthy discussion here, as i said before, we are all fans and we are all entitle to deslike their new song too.

After listening to GOYB, Vertigo looks too thin and one-dimensional... not that I don't like it, it's just looks as if the boys really did their work this time, in terms of arrangements, production, I guess without all those weird effects, probably GOYB would sound a lot like Vertigo

i've not listened to them back to back, but remembering what i can about vertigo, it's going to feel quite hollow compared to sexy boots.

sexy boots has the better chorus too, it's a shame they only go through it twice.

AllVertigo in contrast is simple and heavier. And more catchy and invigorating, it's chorus makes the temperature raise. What in my opinion Boots lacks the most is that in any moment the song take off. It doesn't go to that another place as BD or Vertigo.

you said here, what i have been thinking all day, listening to both back to back several times today. i like boots, and its different which is cool, but i think vertigo is better.

the sound of boots, to me just sounds a little bit thin (for lack of a better word). i like the bass (reminds me of radiohead-myxomatosis, but lacks the power that song has), the layers, and the lyrics- but the song, to me, just isn't as strong overall. Vertigo just sounds much fuller, and bigger song.

i actually like boots better than vertigo. i like the fact that boots will take time to get used to and enjoy. the first time i heard vertigo, i thought "that's it?" i didn't feel it had room to grow on me like the fly or discotheque did.

Boots IMO is better than any song on HTDAAB (and I love HTDAAB.)

In a way this is probably what releasing Native Son instead of Vertigo would have felt like had they released Native Son. A rocking lead single with some political undertones and some crazy sonic dynamics.

Boots is better, but for me, anything is better than Vertigo.

Shame that the better song borrows so much from the lamer one.

Right now, I prefer Boots to everything U2 have made since Pop, except for maybe COBL, Kite, and maybe Beautiful Day. But that can change easily, if I get bored of Boots like everyone did of Vertigo (I think that's unlikely, just because of how everyone on this board was absolutely gaga over Vertigo at first, but Boots is turning out to be a slow burner), or if the rest of the album absolutely murders Boots. Or both.

i will say i liked vertigo quicker than i liked boots... took me a solid 6 or 7 listens before i started to get my head wrapped around boots.

which i suppose agrees with the argument that vertigo was the better (or at least catchier) song, while boots gives more promise as to how the rest of the album will sound.

i think people who think boots sounds like vertigo have the hearing ability of pete townshend's right ear.

:lmao: I agree.

C'mon, Boots is so much different than Vertigo, the only way they are similar is that they are both lead singles and have a distorted riff.

Boots is much more creative, more layered, INNOVATIVE! :up:

What tired me out on Vertigo was that it was the first single, the first song I heard off Bomb, and also it was used in the iTunes commercial. I just got tired of hearing it so much and the overexposure killed it for me.

Holy shit, though. I just listened to Boots for the first time in an hour or so and fell madly fucking in love with it... again.

Holy shit, though. I just listened to Boots for the first time in an hour or so and fell madly fucking in love with it... again.

It must be so good that it makes you swear. :wink:

Every half an hour I come back to it and it sounds better everytime. So many layers. :drool:

if anything i figured people would be talking more about how this is the third straight album to have a single with the word "beautiful" in the, well, i guess chorus... but i'm not really sure what the chorus in boots is :scratch:

Hey, Sexy boots...
Get on your boots, yeah! :hyper: :love:

In a way this is probably what releasing Native Son instead of Vertigo would have felt like had they released Native Son. A rocking lead single with some political undertones and some crazy sonic dynamics.

:up: Exactly.... I think Vertigo is a more rocking song than Native Son overall, but their's more substance to Native Son... the same substance and lyrical weight that Boots has as well. That said, Boots seems like it suffers a bit from a lack of energy, the kind that Vertigo has when it spreads its wings.

pretty much everything on GOYB is superior to vertigo. lyrics, guitarwork, drums and bass. as a "rocker" boots totally blows away vertigo and pretty much every other "rocker' since AB.

i really liked it until i was informed earlier that i'm just forcing myself to like it.:sad:

Back
Top Bottom