Boots or NLOTH2 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which song do you prefer?

• Total voters
I like both , but voted Boots , NLOTH2 is more of a demo.
But I guess NLOTH ( album version ) will kick Boots out of it`s Boots:wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

I prefer Boots.

But, wait, how much different do you expect NLOTH (album version) to be?
Cause I just heard NLOTH2 tonight for the first time, and I'm pretty disappointed... :sad:
Any clues, or just guessing?

I went with Boots, barely. I love 'em both really, but Boots is sonically charged with so much more colour to it. I think the Walmart clip of NL looks very promising though. It just might be better than Boots. We'll see.

also those weird squiggly electronic noises in NLOTH 2 are so annoying ... :doh:

I think they're pretty cool actually - sort of a retro 1970s-Moog synth sound. I like the retro elements in both songs we've heard. I went with NLOTH2 - everyone's on fire, and it's more complex sonically. It seems to break more rules musically.

Songs are like nephews and nieces; of course you have a favorite but you shouldn't say it out loud.

I don't have any nephews or nieces, so I of course don't know what I'm talking about.

I`ve just bought the CD and I have to say Nloth2 is a much better production, to my ears and liking anyway. Boots on the CD sounds far too over produced, even worse than the download version.

Interesting to note that U2 actually produced Nloth2, with additional production by Will.i.am Cenzo and Eno. Boots was produced by Lanois and Eno.

I wish they would increase the size of the print on the CD notes though or I`m going to have to borrow Larry`s glasses............:evil:

Ok back to Pleba now...............:reject:

It might not have Eno soundsapes, but I think it'd be pretty cool to have them just release an album full of material they produce themselves. Without too much over-thinking and over-cooking, although it might lack more of the experimentation.

oh i would love to see them produce something themselves!
interesting they produced NLOTH2!

I don't know if it stemmed from anything they actually said, but someone on here or in an article said something about them going back and looking at leftover stuff from the early 90's to now. It would be neat if they took a lot of that stuff, put some finishing and unifying touches on it themselves and released that (after the supposed NLOTH follow-up) Even if it didn't mean a full out new era. But that's certainly a pipe-dream.

I think they're pretty cool actually - sort of a retro 1970s-Moog synth sound. I like the retro elements in both songs we've heard. I went with NLOTH2 - everyone's on fire, and it's more complex sonically. It seems to break more rules musically.

Agreed, and it's a bit of the moroccan influences.

I really like NLOTH2. Its a grower certainly. :)

3 things I really like about it:

1) Bono doesnt sound like Bono. Not that I dont like Bonos voice, Im just impressed how hes managed to sound a bit different.
2) That weird "wheeeew" guitar tremolo thing.
3) Its not the best song they've written by a considerable degree, but it has the "thing". The U2 "thing". I dont know what the thing is, so dont ask but it has it.

I approve of this event and/or product. :up: :)

Interesting. I think NLOTH2 is almost intentionally un-complex sonically and has absolutely no Moroccan sounds to it, whereas in Boots you can definitely hear it in some of Edge's vocals. The Moog is about as un-Moroccan an instrument as you could conceive of.

I really like NLOTH2. Its a grower certainly. :)

3 things I really like about it:

1) Bono doesnt sound like Bono. Not that I dont like Bonos voice, Im just impressed how hes managed to sound a bit different.
2) That weird "wheeeew" guitar tremolo thing.
3) Its not the best song they've written by a considerable degree, but it has the "thing". The U2 "thing". I dont know what the thing is, so dont ask but it has it.

I approve of this event and/or product. :up: :)

:up: You just said exactly how I feel!

And besides that, the drums are great! Same with the bass. U2's rhythm section has always been a bit boring in musical terms, lots of the same 4/4th stuff and in Adam's case 8th notes, only rarely a great riff or something daring, exciting.

Both of these songs prove that Adam has definately taken basslessons, and it's paying off! :up: Boots is a good riff(Even though it's, like Vertigo, exactly following the guitar pattern) and Nloth has a GREAT bassline. It's innovative, got lots of changes and it excites me. For what's still to come!

And I'm also positive about Larry for a change, I really like what he's done with Boots live, the bongos as addition to the kit, and he's using toms in NLOTH for a change! :up:

I guess I prefer NLOTH because it's so damn different from standard U2!

i wonder if NLOTH2 if getting more votes because we've had less time to absorb it.

i still think Boots blows NLOTH2 away, but that i'll like the album version of NLOTH better than Boots.

Back
Top Bottom