Bono's vocals + JT Bonus Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gherman said:

His singing is much better I totally agree. I still love his voice, I always knew his voice was not as strong, but after listening to the new Joshua Tree I came to a realization of just how strong his voice was. His voice was so strong then.

Oh, I see.
I guess I misunderstood your opinion then.
It's just that some people refuse to realize that he's getting better even if it's never going to be like in the 80's or the early 90's again.
We just have to accept what he can do nowadays and enjoy it.

It's funny, because I really love Bono's voice now (5th leg Vertigo onwards), but I also love his 80's and early 90's voice.

I think that when Bono is in top form, he sounds fantastic - whether that be last year on the 5th leg of the Vertigo Tour, or from the much earlier days of the UF - JT - Lovetown era.

Really, I think it ultimately just comes down to a matter of preference... For example, my sister overheard me listening to the 87' Paris audio Rip (which I love), cringed, and asked if this was when Bono was having trouble with his voice? She thought he sounded terrible... and prefers his voice now. I don't agree with her, but it doesn't make her stupid that she prefers his voice on my Melbourne 06 bootleg. She just prefers it.

Me? I enjoy listening to his voice from both then and now. There is something in his voice that I just find captivating - it can be utterly haunting and conveys so much feeling. His voice may have lost some of its strength over the years, but I really feel that he can still sing live beautifully.

Peterrrrr said:
Well here it is:
Desire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecUeE1mhSao
Wave Of Sorrow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo-w7B4tNB4
Wooooooooow! He realy did a amazing job on Desire! :drool: There have been alot of discussion about that Bono dosnt scream anymore when he sings, but this one, wow! "oooooooh sisters I can let you gooooo" .It blowed away every ZooTV version of Desire, so this one was closer to the original then the ZooTV one, this show how good Bono's voice is now!

Man, how strong was Bono's voice there?! :ohmy: I knewhe had it in him, but damn. I think he actually channeled Michael Hutchence there. It's been years since we heard Bono attack those notes in Desire. I hope he holds those notes for the next album and tour.:drool:

Rob33 said:

and he's not hurting himself in the process this time around :yes:

We have Stay from that show too in that thread. As someone else said it, best- Bono-vocals-since Zoo TV.

I didn't like Bono's vocals overall on Wave Of Sorrow. He starts off okay and there are times where he sounds good, but there are also times when he can't hold the note, sounds too raspy or croaky.

I still think he has a great voice live, but when you listen to some of the vocals from the JT sessions and then his new vocals on Wave Of Sorrow, it saddens me to hear how far his voice has deteriorated, compared to the JT voice.

I know we can go through all the same stuff i.e. its 20 years later, throat surgery, wine, smoking, wear and tear, bad techniques etc, but its just not the same.

Bono's voice was one of the main reasons I got into U2's music, now it seems the music can be great, but Bono's voice isn't always up to it and lets the music down.

Thanksandy said:
t its just not the same.

Bono's voice was one of the main reasons I got into U2's music, now it seems the music can be great, but Bono's voice isn't always up to it and lets the music down.

I think you are totaly wrong here, name one moment from 2004-2007 where Bono's voice hasnt been great? Sure he had some shows that wasnt the best.

Bono had more problems with his voice in the 80's then he had 04-07(he hadnt any the last years). Check how many shows on Uf tour ,JT tour, LT tour and Zooropa tour where Bonos voice where weak at alot of shows.

Even if his voice would have crack these days, the music wouldn matter. It is his sound of his voice, it is a instrument.

Thanksandy said:
I didn't like Bono's vocals overall on Wave Of Sorrow. He starts off okay and there are times where he sounds good, but there are also times when he can't hold the note, sounds too raspy or croaky.

I still think he has a great voice live, but when you listen to some of the vocals from the JT sessions and then his new vocals on Wave Of Sorrow, it saddens me to hear how far his voice has deteriorated, compared to the JT voice.

I think Bono did the same with WOS as with One and IALW, it brings more feeling to the song.

Thanksandy said:

I don't call it deteriorated when:

- On Vertigo tour Bono hit the high C serval times on "Wide Awake" i Bad, but didnt on the tours 89-92.

- Bono hit the high C in "Don't You Look Back" in WGRYWH on Vertigo, he didnt in 92-93.

- Bono holded high notes in 5-11 seconds on Vertigo tour, he didnt in 89-92.

- Bono holded the chours in Pride on Vertigo tour, he didnt in 89-92.

- The last performence of Desire(London 2007) he sang " sister I can't let you go" as in the original studio version something he didnt in 92-93.

I agree bono voice if anything sounds great now. I think he sounded good on wave of sorow too listen to that last waaaaaaave dont tell me bono would have attempted a high note like that on the joshua tree because he wouldnt have. I also think his voice has a lot of character on WOS he is singing notes differently than he has its like he has a new voice and I for one find it more interesting sounding then his 2000 ATYCLB voice which sounded good but lacked Bono character. I think he sounds even better than he did on HTDAAB. Hope he continues down this road

Peterrrrr said:

I think you are totaly wrong here, name one moment from 2004-2007 where Bono's voice hasnt been great? Sure he had some shows that wasnt the best.

Bono had more problems with his voice in the 80's then he had 04-07(he hadnt any the last years). Check how many shows on Uf tour ,JT tour, LT tour and Zooropa tour where Bonos voice where weak at alot of shows.

Even if his voice would have crack these days, the music wouldn matter. It is his sound of his voice, it is a instrument.

I think Bono did the same with WOS as with One and IALW, it brings more feeling to the song.

I don't call it deteriorated when:

- On Vertigo tour Bono hit the high C serval times on "Wide Awake" i Bad, but didnt on the tours 89-92.

- Bono hit the high C in "Don't You Look Back" in WGRYWH on Vertigo, he didnt in 92-93.

- Bono holded high notes in 5-11 seconds on Vertigo tour, he didnt in 89-92.

- Bono holded the chours in Pride on Vertigo tour, he didnt in 89-92.

- The last performence of Desire(London 2007) he sang " sister I can't let you go" as in the original studio version something he didnt in 92-93.

*held*

I'm talking more about the recordings of his voice rather than singing live. I don't think the Wave of Sorrow vocals are anywhere as good as Luminous Times or Spanish Eyes for example, let alone the songs from JT.

Singing it live might be another thing and Beautiful Day is a good example of a song that he sings so much better live. I am just disappointed with some of the vocals he has layed down on CD, it doesn't seem to capture the best vocals he can deliver.

I really want it to be good, but it just sounds like he is struggling on Wave Of Sorrow, straining in fact. I can't believe anyone doesn't notice this. I did say there were times it was strong, like some of the Waaavvesss at the end, but there were times where he couldn't hold the note, it sounded croaky and weak.

Songs like Mercy, City Of Blinding Lights and Electrical Storm are examples of strong vocal performances on the albums, I think there is a greater inconsistency in the quality of his vocals in the recordings of songs in the last 4-5 years.

yea i dont hear it on wave of sorow I think his voclas are very good throughout the whole song. If anything I think he is restrained on the track he is holding back . The only thing I realize is he seems to be trying to sing lower than he has lately so maybe he is struggling to pull that of but he does pull it off i think.

shaun vox said:
bonos voice is just too raspy now.

listen to One (original version) and then the new remake with mary j blige. bonos vocal tone has diminished.

Have you heard the last months london performences and the 5th leg Vertigo performences? No rapsy at all.

When Bono recorded One with blige his voice wasnt the best that day...

Thanksandy said:

I really want it to be good, but it just sounds like he is struggling on Wave Of Sorrow, straining in fact. I can't believe anyone doesn't notice this. I did say there were times it was strong, like some of the Waaavvesss at the end, but there were times where he couldn't hold the note, it sounded croaky and weak.

If I remember right, Bono did record this song just in one day. But I think he wanted to sound a bit tard, just like he did for the studio version of One(AB) and IALW.

this is ridiculous...anyone complaining about Bono's voice right now either a) is forcing his/herself to think so :rolleyes: or b) hasn't heard London Union Chapel 2007 performance....people...SEARCH FOR IT ON YOUTUBE!!!

peterrr is right on here :yes:

personally, I'm enjoying his lovetown and zooTV voices as much as his current voice...his JT voice, while it was great no question, it lacked the smoothness and warmth that he demonstrates nowadays...

as for WOS... I've listened to the album version quite a bit and I'm yet to here any moments of struggling...I think his voice sounds awesome, ESPECIALLY on the 2007 live version :drool:

I'll say it again, the debate is not over his live vocals but the quality of his vocal on the original recording.

This might not matter to some people so much, it could be that U2 record songs quicker nowadays or that Bono isn't concerned about getting his vocals totally right i.e. cutting out any croakiness etc.

Even though his voice LIVE is stronger now than during PopMart for example, I would say he sounds a lot better on Pop than he did on some stuff on HTDAAB and something like Wave Of Sorrow, in regards to the recording, NOT the Union Chapel performance.

Picking out single performances proves nothing

Rob33 said:
this is ridiculous...anyone complaining about Bono's voice right now either a) is forcing his/herself to think so :rolleyes: or b) hasn't heard London Union Chapel 2007 performance....people...SEARCH FOR IT ON YOUTUBE!!!

That was one night. An admittedly good night, but it also wasn't a night that was preceded by countless shows wearing on his vocal chords, and this night was only 4 songs long. He wouldn't be able to carry that kind of performance through a tour.

Bono's voice has been constantly improving in recent years. His vocals on ATYCLB weren't good, his vocals on Bomb were much stronger and better. Live he sounds the best he has sounded in years. I think people should appreciate this and have a little trust instead of complaining about something that hasn't even happened yet, i. e. the new album. I guess he's much more self-conscious about his new and improved voice now and it looks like he wants to show it, so I'm hopeful for the new songs. I would love to hear songs that have "more space around the voice".

Thanksandy said:

This might not matter to some people so much, it could be that U2 record songs quicker nowadays or that Bono isn't concerned about getting his vocals totally right i.e. cutting out any croakiness etc.

My personal theory is that he re-writes his lyrics so many times that I'm sure half or more of the vocal takes that end up on the album were recorded within a few months or even weeks of the completion of the album. That is, when he's been constantly singing for up to a year, maybe more.

The raspyness has been there since 1991/1992, and it doesn't equal weaker singing. If he's sounding more raspy, especially on the last two albums (and live, last two tours), that's is just the price paid for his early singing+smoking. Of course touring has its toll too, look at live Wanderer and new version of One with MJ Blige - those were done mid tour and it shows. Add to that it's one thing singing 100+ shows when you're 30 or 27 and another if you're pushing 50, his voice was able to recover faster.

That said, when he is rested, he can still do very good stuff, ie Union Chapel songs or last leg of Vertigo. Maybe a solution would be playing stadiums (less dates to play, less strain on vocals) or having more time in between tour legs and/or more space between gigs.

U2girl I like your suggestion about playing stadiums, with less dates and more time between legs. This could be the way to go to safeguard Bono's vocals for the future.

I'm cool with the vocal chords. I'm concerned about the lyrics. Raspiness is excusable, but lyrical clumsiness/obtuseness is not.

Back
Top Bottom