Bono's opera voice on the New album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
Do u guys think Bono should or will use his opera voice at all on the new album. I was just watching the oscar preformance of Hands that built america (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nl72aA4U2SY&NR=1) and I was mesmorized how he worked the part into that song and it sounded like it fit. It doent sound out of place.

Are there any other pop/rock singers that use opera like that or are talented enough or maybe brave/bold enough to attempt to sing on such a large scale like that. Clearly he is no opera singer but he does it in his own style and is extremely different from others and interesting and his voice always sounds huge and full like it souds like a voice from the top of a mountain or somthing. I like how in this hands preformance and the preformance of Night and Day from music cares he combines opera with almost an indian chant thing.

As far as I can tell he started doing this style of singing and using his voice like this around maybe 2002 or 2003 and I am just thinking he realy needs to get this down and recorded on an album. Maybe it will fit on the new album as he has been quoted talking about Morocan singers and experimenting and singing in different scales. I hope he realy experiments with his voice on the new album.

Jdelbove said:
Do u guys think Bono should or will use his opera voice at all on the new album.

I don't think he should. If he uses it again it will just be a crappy rehash of former glory. A sad attempt to cash grab.

Well if u2 is trying to surprise us, its the only place left to go isnt it?

i personally think it's where he's headed and i think it would fit nicely with the material from fez.

I just want his voice to be nice and strong. I just hope it's not made unnatural in the mix (i.e. really loud when he's singing quiet, drowning out the music, etc.)

that part is prerecorded in that performance, i remember watching it on tv and squirming cause you can just tell it's pre recorded..

as for the opera I am hoping bono gets back to more of a youthful singing voice not worrying so much about the big huge notes like that

I LOVE Bono's voice as it is right now, it's his mature singing voice and very strong. I hope it stays like that for the new album. However, I'm not so sure if his opera style singing would have such an impact on a recording. I love to hear it live, just listened to a few recordings from the last Vertigo leg. On some performances, he voice simply blows me away. I'm very curious about how he will sound on the next album.

LuvandPeace1980 said:
that part is prerecorded in that performance, i remember watching it on tv and squirming cause you can just tell it's pre recorded..

Yes but he's still singing live along to the pre-recorded bits. Pretty much everything but the vocals and Edge's guitar is pre-recorded.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nl72aA4U2SY

Last edited:
Jdelbove said:
Do u guys think Bono should or will use his opera voice at all on the new album. I was just watching the oscar preformance of Hands that built america (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nl72aA4U2SY&NR=1) and I was mesmorized how he worked the part into that song and it sounded like it fit. It doent sound out of place.

Are there any other pop/rock singers that use opera like that or are talented enough or maybe brave/bold enough to attempt to sing on such a large scale like that. Clearly he is no opera singer but he does it in his own style and is extremely different from others and interesting and his voice always sounds huge and full like it souds like a voice from the top of a mountain or somthing. I like how in this hands preformance and the preformance of Night and Day from music cares he combines opera with almost an indian chant thing.

As far as I can tell he started doing this style of singing and using his voice like this around maybe 2002 or 2003 and I am just thinking he realy needs to get this down and recorded on an album. Maybe it will fit on the new album as he has been quoted talking about Morocan singers and experimenting and singing in different scales. I hope he realy experiments with his voice on the new album.

I thnk there will be one opera song in near future, may not been on the album. WHY? Im pretty sure that Bono write a tribute song to Pavarotti.

Also about the the THTBA performence on the Oscar Awards, Bono sang live almost the whole song, the only thing that was pre-recorded was the opera part. But he sang live over it.
The reason I think that he did have that part pre recorded was that he was very shaky in his voice that day.

Back
Top Bottom