Bono With Eyeliner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He kind of looks like Brandon Flowers' Dad with eyeliner.

Just my opinion but a couple of things peaked my interest

Adam in the Q video said something about getting into character.

I believe the character may be Muslim and the eyeliner is symbolic of the Kohl eyeliner that men wear for Ramadan.

As much as B man has spoken out against violence I can totally see a political message to terrorists in the Arab world.

This may be way far fetched but I thought I would put a different spin on the eyeliner??:up::down:

I believe the character may be Muslim and the eyeliner is symbolic of the Kohl eyeliner that men wear for Ramadan.

As much as B man has spoken out against violence I can totally see a political message to terrorists in the Arab world.

This may be way far fetched but I thought I would put a different spin on the eyeliner??:up::down:

I hope that it's more thought out and creative than something directly political. :|

Politics and U2 go together like PB&J, but eh...I hope that when Adam said "getting into character" he meant like a Fly or MacPhisto-esque type shtick.

My reaction to the eyeliner is pretty much this: :shrug:

I mean, it could be worse. He could be taking it in the Michael Stipe direction:

rem.jpg

I hope that it's more thought out and creative than something directly political. :|

Politics and U2 go together like PB&J, but eh...I hope that when Adam said "getting into character" he meant like a Fly or MacPhisto-esque type shtick.

maybe so but I could see the line "walk out into the streets" as a message meant to those who are opressed to fight back and not be held down by the fear of the bullies.

The eyeliner is symbolic. Do not hide behind your religion as a means to cause suffering to others.

The Fly/Preacher character was pretty was pretty obvious during Desire.

How about he ditches the shades and eyeliner, and just walks around looking like a normal human being?

:lol:

:hmm:
Well......he looks like THAT, when he's meeting with Heads of State & at Conferences at least some of the time!

We want show biz! Excitement! Intriguement!....

....... ahem........ along with of course great songs/music/ lyrics, & singing!!!
:drool: :heart: :hyper: :yes::yes: :rockon:

I think it looks bloody awful. The problem is that it's so cliche for emo bands to use eyeliner; it's right next to black nailpolish. As a result, Bono may be doing something new to his image, but it looks like he's trying to conform to the most cheesy, commercial image, rather than plowing new territory like Robert Smith of The Cure back in the early '80s.

Also, what's wrong with looking like himself; he has nice eyes. Show them, Bono; no sunglasses. The coolest thing is to look like you!

The Fly look was fracking cool, though because it was kind of a joke, and it didn't look like anyone else -- to me at least -- or was not typical of the time.
You see, that pic is cool...Bono was what, 32, 33? Nothing to lose.

Now he just looks, ah...kind of ridiculous
Also, that was part of the drag photoshoot for the "One" video, I think. It wasn't an image as much as temporary role playing. He wasn't trying to look emo, but proving his confidence to look like a woman. It was neat.

It is because he is not "young", thin, androgynous, or emo, is the reason it looks different and unusual on him. :up:
Anyway... really doubt it's a whole new permanent look, so not a huge deal.

rather than plowing new territory like Robert Smith of The Cure back in the early '80s.
Well, the only thing Robert did new was the smeared lipstick... His look had been done, he just brought into a somewhat mainstream crowd...

Also, that was part of the drag photoshoot for the "One" video, I think. It wasn't an image as much as temporary role playing. He wasn't trying to look emo, but proving his confidence to look like a woman. It was neat.

False. Those photos had nothing to do with the One video. Yes, it was a temporary look, just like this may be...

I think of green day:hmm: but i rather have more hair on him then eyeliner

I actually don't mind it to be quite honest. It looks a bit odd on him, but its not as odd as Macphisto or anything. I never got used to that.

I like the Bowler hat too (spelling?) Reminds me of his Popmart getup during Miami. didn't he have a funky hat on too? Its just really great to see them back again. Its been too long. :up:

groin_stretch.jpg

Last edited:
The eyeliner as a whole getup like MacPhisto works, but by itself ... I'm not so sure.

I like that he's trying something different, or is willing to anyway, but would prefer something else.

While I remain undecided on the eyeliner, if this means he's ditching the sunglasses, I think it's a good thing.

If the music is good he can wear a fro for all I care.

:yes:

macphisto would have been fucking ridiculous if not for the fact that the album and tour were awesome.

i think he looks like an idiot personally... but if i stopped liking u2 every time bono looked like an idiot i would have stopped liking the band a long, long time ago.

honestly... he had the worst friggin mullets in the history of man kind in the 80s, a bright silver plastic suit and stetson hat, a bright red leather suit, kabookie makeup to make himself look like some strange satan like character, shirts with fake muscles on them, a boxer's robe, a suit with giant bubbles, green sport coats with roses stitched into them, the worst band conductor's jacket i've ever seen complete with matching hat, and of course this shirt...

bonobradpitt__.jpg

Maybe he's mixing it up. Sometimes he'll wear shades, sometimes eyeliner (like the photoshoot), and sometimes both (like that Christmas song video).

Compared to stuff he's done in the past (80's and 90's Bono I'm looking at you) it's pretty tame. If done right it can look badass (see Q photo on their site). I like how it's not overdone (emo bands, Michael Stipe etc).

I guess Bono deserves credit for not being shy about pushing fashion/style/haircut/makeup boundaries over the years, so I'm not going to get bent out of shape over this latest little stunt. Personally, I think he looks absurd, but that's just me. :wink:

As long as the album's good, all will be forgiven! And it sure sounds like it will be :drool:

I think it's odd how more people will probably complain about Bono's guyliner than Madonna in tight-fitting, very revealing clothing, whilst running amok, sexing it up in a danceclub... at age 50. Different strokes, I s'pose.

She's fit. Bono's not. (though I chuckle at her latest videos for that very reason you mention)

Back
Top Bottom