Bono to appear on Howard Stern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrewau2

Babyface
DPU-HOjWsAA5Zwa.jpg

DPU-IexWAAAND6A.jpg

"Bono and The Edge are expected to appear on Howard Stern’s talk radio program, and that it would be taped while the band are in New York City. The Howard Stern talk show airs on Sirius XM Radio. We have not yet confirmed the day that this will tape / air. This would be Bono and The Edge’s first appearance on Howard Stern, but for now should be considered a rumour until officially announced."

sources:
https://t.co/GDqIiRNM2P
https://twitter.com/farscape_one/status/933721686452637697

This is like Obama agreeing to do an interview with Hannity.

Weird move.

This is like Obama agreeing to do an interview with Hannity.

Weird move.

Not really...you'd be surprised...even though Howard has poked fun at Bono at times (and deservedly so for some of his exploits) he does have an admiration for him and the group. Not to mention that Fred (his other sidekick other than Robin) is a HUGE U2 fan. I think its going to be amazing. NOBODY does interviews like Howard and I can imagine he might be the one person that can get out of Bono what his life scare was...he has that ability. I will be glued to my SiriusXM when this happens. So excited!!!! Been waiting on this to happen for years...such a smart move on U2's part. It'll open them up to Howard's vast audience that will totally embrace U2's music once they hear the interview and the performance.

Stern usually doesn't have a lot patience when people come on there trying to sell something, and has an uncanny ability to cut through that. Bono, on the other hand, is always trying to sell something. Plus Bono has the self-deprecation thing down cold, something else Stern will see through and poke at. So this should actually be really interesting and fun, and probably the first Bono interview I specifically look forward to in quite some time.

That said, Bono doesn't need to do this. I'm sure Stern's vast audience (which isn't quite as vast as it used to be) is already familiar with U2 and their music. And most of U2's big time interviews have a much bigger audience than Stern's on Sat Radio.

Last edited:
I'd love to hear Bono on WTF. Maron would get him to talk past the soundbites & talking points.

I’d love for Joe Rogan to interview Bono on the Joe Rogan Experience so they can talk about DMT and exercise routines.

Put him on HardTalk! Or GloZell.

Actually, one of the best interviews I've seen with Bono is the one Charlie Rose did. Don't think that's going to happen again.

Last edited:
It really, really, hope this happens. If Bono tries to say things like "this song is a letter to our audience" or "there is no nation like imagination"...or starts quoting his own lyrics, Stern is going to just burst out laughing. Bono has so much charm that he can get away with that rote rubbish with most interviewers, but not Stern.

I really hope he gets these guys out of their shell. Maybe he should open by pulling out that Bono with the bikini babes pic.

Last edited:
Not really...you'd be surprised...even though Howard has poked fun at Bono at times

If Stern saying things like "that guy [Bono] is nothing to me" is considered "poking fun."

Before he went to SIrius, I listened to Stern every day and he bashed U2 more than a few times.

I never heard any of Sterns sidekicks ever say anything favorable about the band.

Stern said once, of U2's music, that MAYBE he kinda sorta liked Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Should be a amicable interview though. Both are very smart guys.

If Stern saying things like "that guy [Bono] is nothing to me" is considered "poking fun."

Before he went to SIrius, I listened to Stern every day and he bashed U2 more than a few times.

I never heard any of Sterns sidekicks ever say anything favorable about the band.

Stern said once, of U2's music, that MAYBE he kinda sorta liked Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Should be a amicable interview though. Both are very smart guys.

Then you don't listen enough...Fred is a huge fan and has proclaimed his admiration on more than enough occasions...I don't know what else to tell ya other than what I already said. I think its a bold and smart move by the band. Just about everyone that goes on that show get a huge boost on their popularity. I know that we probably don't care about that...but that band surely still does by all of their recent press. I'm very excited for this interview if it does indeed happen.

Stern usually doesn't have a lot patience when people come on there trying to sell something, and has an uncanny ability to cut through that. Bono, on the other hand, is always trying to sell something. Plus Bono has the self-deprecation thing down cold, something else Stern will see through and poke at. So this should actually be really interesting and fun, and probably the first Bono interview I specifically look forward to in quite some time.

That said, Bono doesn't need to do this. I'm sure Stern's vast audience (which isn't quite as vast as it used to be) is already familiar with U2 and their music. And most of U2's big time interviews have a much bigger audience than Stern's on Sat Radio.

What makes you think they are trying to "sell something"? Bono doesn't "sell" anything...he's a master of promoting a cause or an album. Stern has had tons of people on his show doing both and they've come off amazingly well. Stop overthinking it..its Bono and Edge at the end of their experienced careers talking about their life, experiences, and their new album, what else can you ask for?

My friend who has been a huge Stern fan for ages was absolutely shocked at first when I told him I heard Bono and Edge were going to be interviewed. He said “I’m pretty sure Howard doesn’t like U2 so this should be interesting even though it’s not the same Stern show that it used to be.” He feels Howard is trying to move more into more of a wider scope of an interviewer like a Barbra Walters type thing. He did say however that he won’t keep to a normal check list of interview questions and if he feels like he’s getting BS from Bono or Edge he will get pissed and we as listeners will certainly notice.

Last edited:
Then you don't listen enough...Fred is a huge fan and has proclaimed his admiration on more than enough occasions...

Ok, so I missed Fred gushing over the band.

I wonder, did you miss all the times Stern bashed the band?

Will Bono and Edge perform? Perhaps an acoustic version of a new song? Seems like a good opportunity.

Also, if there is one interviewer who can get Bono to talk about his life threatening scare....it's Howard.

Ok, so I missed Fred gushing over the band.

I wonder, did you miss all the times Stern bashed the band?

He has "bashed" them like he has bashed everyone...but then he had them in his room for an interview and they smashed. The best example of that is Lady Gaga..he "bashed" her on multiple occasions for her "little monsters" comments, but then had her on TWICE and both interviews killed. If you truly understand the Stern universe then you will understand that this will come out really well for U2. Its a homerun.

Not really...you'd be surprised...even though Howard has poked fun at Bono at times (and deservedly so for some of his exploits) he does have an admiration for him and the group. Not to mention that Fred (his other sidekick other than Robin) is a HUGE U2 fan. I think its going to be amazing. NOBODY does interviews like Howard and I can imagine he might be the one person that can get out of Bono what his life scare was...he has that ability. I will be glued to my SiriusXM when this happens. So excited!!!! Been waiting on this to happen for years...such a smart move on U2's part. It'll open them up to Howard's vast audience that will totally embrace U2's music once they hear the interview and the performance.

:up::up:

What makes you think they are trying to "sell something"? Bono doesn't "sell" anything.

lol.

Bono has described himself as a salesman. Many times. Bill Gates called him the salesman of the partnership. Brian Eno called him "the greatest salesman of all time." Paul O'Neill said he was an amazing salesman. Michka Assayas said in most of her conversations with Bono it felt like he was trying to sell her something.

It's beyond just the routine promotion for whatever movie or album an artist happens to have out at the moment. In his interviews, Bono is always selling something...U2, a new album, debt relief, a cure for AIDs, Project Red, the One Campaign, an idea, America, and mostly himself. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but there's always persuasion going on with Bono. I'm just hoping Stern can cut through all that.

Last edited:
He has "bashed" them like he has bashed everyone...but then he had them in his room for an interview and they smashed. The best example of that is Lady Gaga..he "bashed" her on multiple occasions for her "little monsters" comments, but then had her on TWICE and both interviews killed. If you truly understand the Stern universe then you will understand that this will come out really well for U2. Its a homerun.

Ah . . the Stern universe . . . .

I wonder how many pieces of sliced meat Stern can get to stick to Bono's bare ass aiming from across the room . . . . .

lol.

Bono has described himself as a salesman. Many times. Bill Gates called him the salesman of the partnership. Brian Eno called him "the greatest salesman of all time." Paul O'Neill said he was an amazing salesman. Michka Assayas said in most of her conversations with Bono it felt like he was trying to sell her something.

It's beyond just the routine promotion for whatever movie or album an artist happens to have out at the moment. In his interviews, Bono is always selling something...U2, a new album, debt relief, a cure for AIDs, Project Red, the One Campaign, an idea, America, and mostly himself. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but there's always persuasion going on with Bono. I'm just hoping Stern can cut through all that.

i'm hopeful he'll get past the sales and bring out the man

Dude are you actually Guy Oseary or what???? must have run out of Cool Aid.

Back
Top Bottom