Bono to appear on Howard Stern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol.

Bono has described himself as a salesman. Many times. Bill Gates called him the salesman of the partnership. Brian Eno called him "the greatest salesman of all time." Paul O'Neill said he was an amazing salesman. Michka Assayas said in most of her conversations with Bono it felt like he was trying to sell her something.

It's beyond just the routine promotion for whatever movie or album an artist happens to have out at the moment. In his interviews, Bono is always selling something...U2, a new album, debt relief, a cure for AIDs, Project Red, the One Campaign, an idea, America, and mostly himself. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but there's always persuasion going on with Bono. I'm just hoping Stern can cut through all that.

Its funny because it seems like everyone is making it seem like Bono is this phony fake @$$ blow hard who you can't relate to in interviews...look, I realize he like to schmooze and can turn on the charm but I've heard more than enough interviews where is was quite candid and open to the interviewer about a number of things. I don't think there is any way in hell they come off looking bad on Stern's show. I've been listening to Stern for almost 25 years...he has a brilliant way with celebrities of making them really comfortable while getting what he wants and also giving them what they need as far as coming out looking real and honest. It'll be a brilliant interview that is exactly what the band need IMO. It will be fantastic.

Its funny because it seems like everyone is making it seem like Bono is this phony fake @$$ blow hard who you can't relate to in interviews...look, I realize he like to schmooze and can turn on the charm but I've heard more than enough interviews where is was quite candid and open to the interviewer about a number of things. I don't think there is any way in hell they come off looking bad on Stern's show. I've been listening to Stern for almost 25 years...he has a brilliant way with celebrities of making them really comfortable while getting what he wants and also giving them what they need as far as coming out looking real and honest. It'll be a brilliant interview that is exactly what the band need IMO. It will be fantastic.

Exactly.

Let's see . . he'll ask him about his near death incidents, he'll ask him about paying taxes, he'll offer his opinion about the whole RED thing and a couple of other things and that will be that.

Well if Stern can't get Bono to open up and talk in a way he doesn't with other interviewers, I'm not sure what there is to get excited about the interview for.

Bono "opens up" only to the extent he wants to. He rarely if ever leaves his comfort zone, and his image, even the self-deprecating bits (especially the self-deprecating bits) is very calculated. Which is fine, that's how most celebrities are, and rightly so. They deserve their private life. But Stern's talent (at least, it used to be his talent) has always been to get people relaxed and show a side of themselves you don't typically see. This is what I'm hoping for.

Exactly.

Let's see . . he'll ask him about his near death incidents, he'll ask him about paying taxes, he'll offer his opinion about the whole RED thing and a couple of other things and that will be that.

I think Bono answered the question in the new Hot Press.

“Last Winter I was on the receiving end of a shock to the system myself, a shock that left me clinging to my own life like a raft. Now lots of us have a brush with mortality at some stage, wether it’s our own or someone dear to us. It’s an arresting experience. I was arrested.”

Last edited:
I think Bono answered the question in the new Hot Press.

“Last Winter I was on the receiving end of a shock to the system myself, a shock that left me clinging to my own life like a raft. Now lots of us have a brush with mortality at some stage, wether it’s our own or someone dear to us. It’s an arresting experience. I was arrested.”

Seriously, sounds like he had a heart attack.

I base that on nothing but intuition and reading between the lines.

Other than the album, this interview is the thing I am most looking forward to.

Given the way he's apparently been boozing this year per a certain Mr N. Gallagher, I'm sceptical about a lot of the speculation here, as you'd think doctors would tell him to lay off the piss.

And since he says "last winter" we can also put to bed the Nice terrorism attack theory, as that happened in the Northern summer of 2016.

Makes you wonder why he doesn't just come out and say what his health crisis was. Why keep it a secret? Seems out of character for him.
I said this in another thread, but the fact they are not talking openly about it, plus the music and lyrics on Love is all we have left and Lights of Home, make me hypothesize Bono had a near-death experince (seeing Lights and all that). Makes sense he does not want to talk about such personal experience.

They both love using megaphones when they perform too.

BBT_rb.gif

8kOqh9.gif

I'm curious to hear if he'll pester Bono about the tax thing lol

Howard is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. I have little doubt that he uses every legal loophole there is, just like U2, to reduce his tax burden.

If U2 didn't pay their taxes...yes he should hammer them but they do pay taxes.

Howard is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. I have little doubt that he uses every legal loophole there is, just like U2, to reduce his tax burden.

The difference is Howard is not ashamed of it, he would be proud to say he uses every loophole there is.

I honestly don't know enough about Bono's finances to make a judgment--it just seems like an issue he'd rather not spend a whole lot of time discussing, which is why I think Stern will make sure to bring it up lol

I honestly don't know enough about Bono's finances to make a judgment--it just seems like an issue he'd rather not spend a whole lot of time discussing, which is why I think Stern will make sure to bring it up lol

Stern can bring it up, but I hope he doesn't come off like a moron as does the typical Bono basher.

Frankly, I'm more than a little sick of the bogus reasoning employed when bashing Bono over taxes.

Billions of people around the world pay taxes, not a single one of them tries to pay more in taxes than they have to in the hopes that the government will use their money the way that they would prefer it be used.

Do I avoid tax deductions so I can then beg the government to spend my donated money to them as I like? Or do I keep as much of my money as I can and then donate it the way I decide?

Obviously the latter.

Governments collect taxes and Bono has asked a portion of that money be diverted to combat a global epidemic that affects everyone -- economically and otherwise.

That has nothing to do with the amount of money Bono pays.

Stern undoubtedly knows this. If he brings it up, hopefully it's to get out that message.

"support Bill Clinton, Obama and Hillary Clinton"
Both their politics suck ass
"Against Bush's politics"
Funny, Bono has never turned an invitation from W to clear brush in Crawford.

Is this confirmed at all?

2 things I love are Howard Stern and U2. LIterally I'm listening to new album while a youtube clip of Howard Stern plays. My love runs deep.

"support Bill Clinton, Obama and Hillary Clinton"
Both their politics suck ass
c'mon, man... y u gotta b startin" somethin'?

I hate how politics have become such an acidic subject of discourse, where everybody seems to have a knee-jerk reaction to any and all opinions that run counter to one's own idealogy. It's like, as soon as the mere mention of something political is touched upon, everyone starts lining up on their side of the aisle ready for a fight. Ighjjugfcddknhtg

*explodes*

Details????? I have high hopes for this interview to be one of the more interesting vs the normal ones. I also hope they perform a song

Edit: I see they did perform on the show! Best Thing and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Last edited:
Details????? I have high hopes for this interview to be one of the more interesting vs the normal ones. I also hope they perform a song

Edit: I see they did perform on the show! Best Thing and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

It was their most interesting interview in a long time. Really nice.

Back
Top Bottom