Bono talks 3 albums again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The way i see it, i'm guessing it's all been tactical ever since NLOTH flopped. They were doing really well in terms of success and popularity with ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I presume they had high hopes that NLOTH would do equally well, and they could afford to make a zooropa-esque side project (songs of ascent) that wouldn't have been as major or successful, but still wouldn't have hurt u2's 'winning streak'.

However, NLOTH's failure, perhaps coupled with u2 or bono-fatigue with the public seems to have made the band go down a few notches in terms of commercial/public success. So, i'd guess they're aiming for the next project to bounce them back to the top.

If that is the case, releasing a low-key Songs of Ascent would be a bad idea, because it's left field nature (i'm presuming it won't have any pop/chart-topper songs), and a lack of massive promotional push (if people here are imagining it as a 'quiet release') that u2 normally have, would significantly decrease it's audience, so it would probably do even worse commercially than NLOTH, and perhaps u2 (concerned with relevance) would worry that such a thing would further cement them as 'has-beens', and put even greater pressure on them to deliver another Joshua tree/Achtung baby level album.

Just speculation of course, but if it is the case, and they want to get 'back to the top' ASAP, then their next move will definitely be a big commercial-friendly album, NOT a low key Songs of Ascent release. And that's why i don't think SoA will ever be released as anything more than out takes.
It's also why i think they've been so reluctant to release any b-sides or follow up EPs (saving possible to recycle on the next big album), and partly (along with spiderman and the tour) why they didn't release that 2011 album: because it didn't have a 'One', 'beautiful day' or 'vertigo' yet to bounce them back from NLOTH's failure.

Wouldn't it be awesome (although highly unlikely given U2's record) if say tomorrow they made an announcement that in a week they will release SOA in Itunes or in digital format? I mean Radio Head announced their last album only 1 or 2 weeks prior to release. No hype, no talk no nothing. THAT would be amazing. Come on U2 throw us a bone or two!

amazing1.jpg

The way i see it, i'm guessing it's all been tactical ever since NLOTH flopped. They were doing really well in terms of success and popularity with ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I presume they had high hopes that NLOTH would do equally well, and they could afford to make a zooropa-esque side project (songs of ascent) that wouldn't have been as major or successful, but still wouldn't have hurt u2's 'winning streak'.

However, NLOTH's failure, perhaps coupled with u2 or bono-fatigue with the public seems to have made the band go down a few notches in terms of commercial/public success. So, i'd guess they're aiming for the next project to bounce them back to the top.

If that is the case, releasing a low-key Songs of Ascent would be a bad idea, because it's left field nature (i'm presuming it won't have any pop/chart-topper songs), and a lack of massive promotional push (if people here are imagining it as a 'quiet release') that u2 normally have, would significantly decrease it's audience, so it would probably do even worse commercially than NLOTH, and perhaps u2 (concerned with relevance) would worry that such a thing would further cement them as 'has-beens', and put even greater pressure on them to deliver another Joshua tree/Achtung baby level album.

Just speculation of course, but if it is the case, and they want to get 'back to the top' ASAP, then their next move will definitely be a big commercial-friendly album, NOT a low key Songs of Ascent release. And that's why i don't think SoA will ever be released as anything more than out takes.
It's also why i think they've been so reluctant to release any b-sides or follow up EPs (saving possible to recycle on the next big album), and partly (along with spiderman and the tour) why they didn't release that 2011 album: because it didn't have a 'One', 'beautiful day' or 'vertigo' yet to bounce them back from NLOTH's failure.

2 hum bug releases in a row and the band (after LP 13) pushing towards 60 forcing themselves into early career death move ? No smart band would do that, so SOA isn't being released (for now). And there won't be a "quiet release" becase this is U2.

Stick with Danger Mouse. Bono and Adam have been vocal about liking the sessions, and all 4 members talked about change of sound. NLOTH doesn't convince me Eno and Lanois can still help them with reinvention.

Wouldn't it be awesome (although highly unlikely given U2's record) if say tomorrow they made an announcement that in a week they will release SOA in Itunes or in digital format? I mean Radio Head announced their last album only 1 or 2 weeks prior to release. No hype, no talk no nothing. THAT would be amazing. Come on U2 throw us a bone or two!

This is what we were hoping for last May (and I think almost happened). It would be a nice surprise, though.

it's a freaking stadium show. it should be populist. :shrug:

you think "do you feel loved" is going to keep anyone from going to buy more beer?

oh, i like DYFL. quite a bit.

it's just that most people thought Pop was crap. that's not why they're in section 402 in Giants Stadium.

BVS said:
How is that any different from the time between Zooropa and Pop? Were they "relevant" then?

The gap between Zooropa and Pop was just under 4 years, and a side project album was released between them. The gap Numbers was talking about is closer to 7 years with only one full release.

And the period prior to the Zooropa/Pop gap was a great deal more fruitful, with a blockbuster album just two years before, and a massive hit tour. U2 has done that, but hasn't released enough music to make the two eras comparable. Zooropa/Passengers/Pop pissed a lot of people off, but at least there was music to judge and ground to be broken.

The band would have to infuse dubstep/electronic elements to deem it a new kind of genre for them -- though I'm fearful, POP was a failure in America.

Boots seemed to be not entirely well received in America... if they came out with a song that was similar to 'Pumped Up Kicks' -- who knows?

The band would have to infuse dubstep/electronic elements to deem it a new kind of genre for them -- though I'm fearful, POP was a failure in America.

Doing this would be make them sound like AARP cardholders trying desperately to be young and cool and hip. "Electronic rock", alternative dance, synthrock whatever you want to call it - that ship has now sailed. I don't think they should attempt a POP 2. Even when they were 35/36 people were saying they were too old to start jumping bandwagons. To do so now would mean complete ridicule.

They need to make an album that they're proud of and that the fans would love. Who cares about how well it does?

LemonMelon said:
The gap between Zooropa and Pop was just under 4 years, and a side project album was released between them. The gap Numbers was talking about is closer to 7 years with only one full release.

I was in college when Passengers came out, believe me hardly anyone noticed. In addition to that your math isn't working. Just under 4 years vs 4 years and about 3 months.

U2 need to release a double album - one disc rockin and the other experimental - problem solved.

BVS said:
In addition to that your math isn't working. Just under 4 years vs 4 years and about 3 months.

2005 - nothing
2006 - nothing
2007 - nothing
2008 - nothing
2009 - NLOTH
2010 - nothing
2011 - nothing
2012 - probably nothing

There has been 1 album released in 7 years. You attempted to compare this drought to 1993-1997, which had three releases from the band. I can't help but agree that U2 have dug themselves into a hole by following a release schedule that allows them too much creative freedom to remain vital. U2's most creative material was recorded in haste, and it takes new material to remain in the minds of the public, so I don't understand the apologists anymore. U2 needs to release music at a faster pace, for their own good.

Here's Springsteen's releases in the same period:

2005 - Devils & Dust
2006 - We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
and: Hammersmith Odeon London '75 (archival live album)
2007 - Magic
and: Live in Dublin
2008 - nothing
2009 - Working On A Dream
and: Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band Greatest Hits (compilation)
2010: The Promise (old material, but all previously unreleased + accompanying documentary film)
2011: nothing
2012: New Studio Album!

Even discounting the archival stuff and compilations, that's 6 albums of new material in the period U2 will probably release 1 (short) album. And this is an artist 10 years older than U2, who has lost no relevance.

Back
Top Bottom