Bono and Edge perform two (old songs) in O2 Dublin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember during SIAMYCGOO during the Elevation Tour when Edge sang the crowd went nuts.

I remember during SIAMYCGOO during the Elevation Tour when Edge sang the crowd went nuts.

That's because Bono sounded like he was having minor throat explosions throughout that tour, and Edge didn't. ;)

But, yeah, wow... with VDL and WLCTT being played recently, that makes me have some hope for a good R&H presence on the next tour. :drool:

Although I'm assuming these songs were a tribute to the Lovetown Point Depot nights.

That's because Bono sounded like he was having minor throat explosions throughout that tour, and Edge didn't. ;)

But, yeah, wow... with VDL and WLCTT being played recently, that makes me have some hope for a good R&H presence on the next tour. :drool:

Although I'm assuming these songs were a tribute to the Lovetown Point Depot nights.

YES YES YES! BRING ON HAWKMOON AND GOD PART II!!!!!!! :hyper:

wait, i dont know if i wanna hear bono try to croak those vocals out.

YES I DO!

dang... all kinds of love shown to rattle and hum as of late... love comes to town, van diemen's land being performed live again for the first time in many years.

U2 recorded both Desire and Van Diemens Land in the Point Depot just before it was converted into a concert venue - as immortalized on Rattle & Hum. Thus they were the first band ever to play the point. This little gig makes them the first band to play the newly renovated Point or "o2" as it's now known. I think it's fitting that they reprised the two songs they recorded in the venue - I wouldn't read anything more than that into it.

k this is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally weird....we have no news, pics, audio, video, nothing! nobody is talking about it...this is HUGE! wtf :scratch:

I will give the song a full listen and a legitimate chance. I can count the U2 songs I don't like on one hand and that's in there somewhere, but perhaps I'm not giving it its due.

But as yet unheard interview might, so I guess that's why it's here

That's exactly why I posted it here :wave:, the 'I believe in Father Christmas' song isn't from the new album either so technically speaking that shouldn't be in WTAHNN. Hopefully we get to hear this stuff soon

k this is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally weird....we have no news, pics, audio, video, nothing! nobody is talking about it...this is HUGE! wtf :scratch:

Rob, if you go to the 2FM (www.2fm .ie) web page and listen to the playback of yesterdays show (Gery Ryan show) you should here him talking about it from about half an hour into the show, I haven't checked it out on the playback (They probably edit the playback) I just heard it life yesterday while driving to work.

U2 recorded both Desire and Van Diemens Land in the Point Depot just before it was converted into a concert venue - as immortalized on Rattle & Hum. Thus they were the first band ever to play the point. This little gig makes them the first band to play the newly renovated Point or "o2" as it's now known. I think it's fitting that they reprised the two songs they recorded in the venue - I wouldn't read anything more than that into it.

That makes sense. I wonder when it will be aired.

I actually hope Bono sang VDL, I've always wondered what it'd sound like with him singing it

I think it was the original plan, but somehow that didn't work out so Edge had to sing it instead.

The View's webpage says tonight's performance is Jack L, so maybe next week

I don't know, it says:
Next Week on The View
On Tuesday 2 December, John Kelly will be joined by actress Kate O'Toole, archivist and critic Catriona Crowe, and Irish Times online editor Hugh Linehan to review two films, 'The Changeling' and 'Rivals', Toni Morrison's new novel 'A Mercy' and the play 'Everybody Loves Sylvia' by Randolf SD.

Then it mentions Jack L further down on the same page.
To me this seems to be last weeks episode or I'm just confused:huh:.

Yes it looks like the lineup for last week's episode alright - I remember flicking through channels last Tuesday night and seeing something about "Changeling" on RTE1. Plus on the RTE Television homepage it mentions that this week they will be reviewing a book called The Lemon Tree - not mentioned in the lineup on The View's page. Looks like they just haven't updated the page since last week's broadcast.

Very good chance that the U2 appearance will be tonight's performance I think...

This was only filmed on Sunday, I'd say it will be a good few weeks before it's edited and then put on the TV, their's no way it's going to be on tonight.

Well the o2 opens for business next Tuesday. I'd expect any feature about it would be airing now before it actually opens rather than in a few weeks time.... Next tuesday it'll be all over the news and all about the childline concert and the rather weak line-up that it has...

Seems like u2.com were the first ones to deliver actual news for a change:

Completing the Circle
5w3i3801max.jpg

Edge and Bono dropped in on Dublin's brand new O2 arena at the weekend, performing a couple of numbers from Rattle and Hum ... just as they did in the same place more than twenty years ago.

They were there to take part in a special RTE programme about the late Ronnie Drew which will be screened over the holiday period and the performance had a certain synchronicity about it.
It was twenty one years ago that Harry Crosbie set up camp in the then derelict old railway goods yard on Dublin's deserted docks to begin work on what became The Point Depot - one of the city's great music venues of recent times.

The first phone call Crosbie got, surrounded by trains and freight, was from U2's office. The band booked the venue for the filming of Rattle and Hum. They shot 'Desire' on their first day in the venue.

'The first morning,' recalls Crosbie. 'When Bono arrived to shoot, he picked up a red guitar and played a chord and that was the first music ever played at The Point.'

Harry asked Bono to come back and do it again for luck for the O2, a brand new venue which has been built on the site of The Point. It was a pretty intimate performance by all accounts - the venue doesn't open for a few more days. 'The circle is complete and Ireland's greatest venue had its first music played by its greatest band.'

More on the RTE tribute to Ronnie Drew as we get it.

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=2274

Yes it looks like the lineup for last week's episode alright - I remember flicking through channels last Tuesday night and seeing something about "Changeling" on RTE1. Plus on the RTE Television homepage it mentions that this week they will be reviewing a book called The Lemon Tree - not mentioned in the lineup on The View's page. Looks like they just haven't updated the page since last week's broadcast.

Very good chance that the U2 appearance will be tonight's performance I think...

Lets hope that that someone record todays programe, we may have on online in two hours then :)

Lets hope that that someone record todays programe, we may have on online in two hours then :)

It will air during Christmas it seems, if you read my previous post again :)

"They were there to take part in a special RTE programme about the late Ronnie Drew which will be screened over the holiday period and the performance had a certain synchronicity about it."

Edge and Bono drop in on Dublin's brand new O2 arena

Hopefully we'll get some more pics soon :hmm:

U2.com | Official News

Completing the Circle

Edge and Bono dropped in on Dublin's brand new O2 arena at the weekend, performing a couple of numbers from Rattle and Hum ... just as they did in the same place more than twenty years ago.

They were there to take part in a special RTE programme about the late Ronnie Drew which will be screened over the holiday period and the performance had a certain synchronicity about it.
It was twenty one years ago that Harry Crosbie set up camp in the then derelict old railway goods yard on Dublin's deserted docks to begin work on what became The Point Depot - one of the city's great music venues of recent times.

The first phone call Crosbie got, surrounded by trains and freight, was from U2's office. The band booked the venue for the filming of Rattle and Hum. They shot 'Desire' on their first day in the venue.

'The first morning,' recalls Crosbie. 'When Bono arrived to shoot, he picked up a red guitar and played a chord and that was the first music ever played at The Point.'

Harry asked Bono to come back and do it again for luck for the O2, a brand new venue which has been built on the site of The Point. It was a pretty intimate performance by all accounts - the venue doesn't open for a few more days. 'The circle is complete and Ireland's greatest venue had its first music played by its greatest band.'

More on the RTE tribute to Ronnie Drew as we get it.

o2arena.jpg

Thanks for the heads up onekea! :)

I've read about this in the album forum. I've heard they played Van Diemen's Land and Desire. I hope we'll get a chance to see the programme when it airs. :up:

Back
Top Bottom