bit on the next U2 album in Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
in pleba there're are some scans from the new Q. if you squint your eyes, you can make out bit of it.

from the mouth of Edge, inspiration for the next record: Bee Gees, and the Eagles.

:silent:

let me be the first to write off the next record. :tongue:

ATYCLB was "classic" U2. HTDAAB was a return to your garage rock roots. What's the sound this time?

Edge: It's going to be a very melodic record. It's interesting to me that some of the artists who were really glossed over in the early period of the bands existence I'm starting to "get" more and more now. People like the BeeGees. You listen to their work now and think "My God, how brilliant were they as songwriters?" But totally undermined by a lot of bad hair and living in LA, or whatever.

Do you think you've got another disco album in you?

[Larry Mullen Jr. silently grimaces]

Edge: No, but just melodically...and some ofthe things the Eagles wrote-amazing songs. It's a new found appreciation for pure melody. That seems to be what we're all interested in at the moment.

Now instead of Pride going

Oh, Oh Oh, Oh! Oh, Oh Oh ,Oh!

We get

Hah, Hah, Hah, Hah

This is Pride
This is Pride

And Edge will probably have to sing the falsetto as Bono can't any more, and to get the high notes in concet Bono will probably have to go and sqeeze Edge's nuts just to take it to that higher octave, which I'm sure will excite a lot of Plebans.

I really hope we don't get a record full of WITS type material.

Sken said:
Now instead of Pride going

Oh, Oh Oh, Oh! Oh, Oh Oh ,Oh!

We get

Hah, Hah, Hah, Hah

This is Pride
This is Pride

And Edge will probably have to sing the falsetto as Bono can't any more, and to get the high notes in concet Bono will probably have to go and sqeeze Edge's nuts just to take it to that higher octave, which I'm sure will excite a lot of Plebans.

I really hope we don't get a record full of WITS type material.

:no: :shame:

Harmonies and strings and pianos.

15 vocal tracks.

Hollow body guitars and horn sections.

countermelodies, handclaps and a harpsichord.

I want this type of record.

I love it when a band says all they want is melody. Reminds me of the best albums ever made.

I hope people realise that the time U2 most showed a BeeGees influence was during Popmart. Can we say "Stayin' Alive snippet during Discotheque"?

Although i wanted them to go darker and harder than what they did on Bomb i have changed my mind....(i flip flop ALOT!) If they go with just focusing on melody and put all that stuff mrbrau1 mentioned and make it into something like pet sounds (beach boys) or the soft bulletin (flaming lips... fucking love that cd!) i already know it will kick ass....hopefully theyll go in that direction

and Bomb was garage rock!? :eyebrow: riiiiiiiiite...only 2 songs fit that description

Last edited:
the eagles + the beegees = everything you could ever hope for from u2 :drool:

Chizip said:
the eagles + the beegees = everything you could ever hope for from u2 :drool:
Really? Sometimes I can't tell whether you are taking the piss or not. I must be totally missing something, seems more of you are excited by this news.

I'm sure some will now be expecting Edge to make a Hotel California-esque solo at the mention of the band, completely ignoring any other Eagles material.

MrBrau1 said:
Harmonies and strings and pianos.

15 vocal tracks.

Hollow body guitars and horn sections.

countermelodies, handclaps and a harpsichord.

I want this type of record.

I love it when a band says all they want is melody. Reminds me of the best albums ever made.
Except U2 is missing one key element - drugs!

Sken said:

Really? Sometimes I can't tell whether you are taking the piss or not. I must be totally missing something, seems more of you are excited by this news.

when in doubt, assume im taking the piss :wink:

Pretty much evry time the drop a name as an influence it means nothing so I'm not going to worry about that.

powerhour24 said:
Pretty much evry time the drop a name as an influence it means nothing so I'm not going to worry about that.

exactly.

everyone flipped out when U2 said they were being influenced by Kanye West or whatever, "OMG U2 IZ GUNA MAK DA HIPPITY HOPZ REKERD!!11" Yeah, Window in the Skies is clearly a hip hop song :wink:

Pop was supposedly influenced by techno (did they actually say it was?) and it's not techno, HTDAAB was supposed to be punk rock from Venus and few songs fit the bill there, AB was influenced by dance but was their most rock record (of course it did give us danceable music)...

the main thing we're going to get out of this is focus on melody, as Edge said. doesn't mean it will really sound like The Eagles or BeeGees at all

AtomicBono said:
the main thing we're going to get out of this is focus on melody, as Edge said. doesn't mean it will really sound like The Eagles or BeeGees at all

THANK YOU. I'm glad someone said it. It's not as if the quotes imply U2 want to make songs that resemble those by the Bee Gees or the Eagles, but that they are taking the same emphasis on melody.

They could complement that melodic focus with just about any sound they want, really. An emphasis on songcraft and melody does not have to translate into 12 clones of Stuck In A Moment.

Axver said:

THANK YOU. I'm glad someone said it. It's not as if the quotes imply U2 want to make songs that resemble those by the Bee Gees or the Eagles, but that they are taking the same emphasis on melody.

They could complement that melodic focus with just about any sound they want, really. An emphasis on songcraft and melody does not have to translate into 12 clones of Stuck In A Moment.

Indeed. Well put.

MrBrau1 said:
ATYCLB was "classic" U2. HTDAAB was a return to your garage rock roots. What's the sound this time?

Edge: It's going to be a very melodic record. It's interesting to me that some of the artists who were really glossed over in the early period of the bands existence I'm starting to "get" more and more now. People like the BeeGees. You listen to their work now and think "My God, how brilliant were they as songwriters?" But totally undermined by a lot of bad hair and living in LA, or whatever.

Do you think you've got another disco album in you?

[Larry Mullen Jr. silently grimaces]

Edge: No, but just melodically...and some ofthe things the Eagles wrote-amazing songs. It's a new found appreciation for pure melody. That seems to be what we're all interested in at the moment.

So it seems WITS is somewhat an indication of that sound? Very melodic, poppy, Bee Gees-y falsetto chorus?

People will hate it. :corn:

Ultimate pop album. :hyper:

Last edited:
I have one question: can't an album be melodic and at the same time be dark, obscure and experimental or heavy?

I think people on this board tend to separate too much things and claim that it seems impossible to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom