Billy Corgan, producing U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinn77

The Fly
Would be super, he is a fan, I remember he covered Stay acoustically a while back. He is a top notch producer in my eyes, his work on production for Smashing Pumpkins testifies to that.
He can do heavy, he can do acoustic, he is in my eyes credible too. Am I insane?

I was a massive Pumpkins fan who was shattered when Adore came out. And then Corgan repeated the nightmare with his solo album.

If that's the tripe he'd offer U2 then no thanks.

(Mellon Collie is a masterpiece but that was more than a decade ago)

Corgan was a fan and highyl influenced by them before striking it big as a musicain, I doubt that's conducive to a strong producing effort.

The old crew all the way, unless they came to their senses and highered Nigel Godrich.

I can't imagine that he would let them play their own instruments.

He hasn't really done much good work for about a solid decade.

I would like the edge to produce u2's next album, jimmy page was good producing.

Huh... I never knew Billy Corgan was a fan of U2. Is there an article somewhere where he mentions this?

edit: it would be interesting if someone were to compile a list of various musical acts that list U2 as one of their influences/ favorites.

Catman said:
Huh... I never knew Billy Corgan was a fan of U2. Is there an article somewhere where he mentions this?

edit: it would be interesting if someone were to compile a list of various musical acts that list U2 as one of their influences/ favorites.

If you go back into the archives, when Rolling Stone did their article about the making of POP, they had Billy Corgan in it. He talks about his love for the band and the first time he heard NYD. Its pretty good.

gherman said:
I think it would bring a heavier and darker side out of U2.

i wouldn't be arguing with that (though I don't know how successful it'd be public-wise).

corgan's last solo effort had some moments, though I wasn't a fan of abandoning the whole "guitar/bass/real drums" lineup. Walking Shade could've been a fab Pumpkins single if recorded that way (like Stand Inside Your Love meets Ava Adore or something).

trevgreg said:

corgan's last solo effort had some moments, though I wasn't a fan of abandoning the whole "guitar/bass/real drums" lineup. Walking Shade could've been a fab Pumpkins single if recorded that way (like Stand Inside Your Love meets Ava Adore or something).

There are probably some really good songs hidden amongst the noise & distortion on TheFutureEmbrace. Walking Shade, Mina Loh and DIA have/had huge potential.

I actually like the 'duet' with Robert Smith (To Love Somebody) - their voices blend very well.

His Zwan album had some good moments too.

This doesn't make any sense because:

Billy and Jimmy have already teamed up to reform the Smashing Pumpkins (haven't read word from D'Arcy or James yet and they probably won't come back).

According to the official site, the Pumpkins are already in the studio recording and they recently announced they'd be headlining a couple festivals in Europe for this summer.

Now, as a producer, Billy might make a good choice, but I think his skills might be better applied to a band less able to write (as in, Billy writes, creates all the demos, and plays the instruments...and maybe sings too) who need a sound defined for them.

chocky said:
I was a massive Pumpkins fan who was shattered when Adore came out. And then Corgan repeated the nightmare with his solo album.

If that's the tripe he'd offer U2 then no thanks.

(Mellon Collie is a masterpiece but that was more than a decade ago)

Weird. Adore is their best album in my opinion. His solo album licked though.

Another connection U2 has to Corgan is a producer:

Flood co-produced Mellon Collie

I love that album. Very good double.

I really wish this thread would go away. The problem is that people keep contributing to it and . . . d'oh!

Back
Top Bottom