Best Of 2000-2010 Tracklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Walk On would be one of the first songs picked regardless of what some of us think. I know Beautiful Day and Stuck were on the last one but technically they could be on this, and without them the album is too weak. One with Mary J Blige is ok, I am not a massive fan of it but it was released in this period and it was pretty popular on radio. Most hard core U2 fans hate it but it did enjoy some success and actually opened U2 up to a younger and different crowd which I believe U2 wants, heck they even played it at the grammys which I personally hated. I honestly cant see a best of 2000 - 2010, but Niceman you are more than welcome to have a crack at what you think would sell more copies than what I came up with. Thats what its all about with so called best ofs isnt it?

Walk On would be one of the first songs picked regardless of what some of us think. I know Beautiful Day and Stuck were on the last one but technically they could be on this, and without them the album is too weak. One with Mary J Blige is ok, I am not a massive fan of it but it was released in this period and it was pretty popular on radio. Most hard core U2 fans hate it but it did enjoy some success and actually opened U2 up to a younger and different crowd which I believe U2 wants, heck they even played it at the grammys which I personally hated. I honestly cant see a best of 2000 - 2010, but Niceman you are more than welcome to have a crack at what you think would sell more copies than what I came up with. Thats what its all about with so called best ofs isnt it?

Again, you're describing an album I wouldn't want to spend money on.

I guess you want me to offer a better Best Of tracklisting? My answer is I don't think they should do another Best-Of until they have 2 more albums.

The idea of U2's biggest hit and defining song from the 2000s NOT being on a collection of songs from that period is hilarious. Like casual listeners are really paying attention to what was on the last best of (that they didn't buy because they don't give a shit).

Omitting the 3rd or 4th most popular one would be pretty funny too.

The fourteen track selections for a third Best Of would be these according to the Rate Your Song Series results:

City of Blinding Lights
Moment Of Surrender
No Line On The Horizon
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Kite
Fez - Being Born
Stateless
Mercy
Magnificent
Breathe
Vertigo
Walk On
Cedars Of Lebanon
When I Look At The World

MDH - 2
ATYCLB - 3
HTDAAB - 2
NLOTH - 6
Non-Album -1

That's a pretty good bunch of tracks. Throw on two new songs and you've got something worth diving into.

If the band did release a third and final installment, say, five years down the road after they wrap things up and release two more studio albums, I think it would be a pretty strong collection. The locks for a real release (Walk On, Elevation, Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, City, Magnificent, MoS) already make for half of a potentially amazing collection. Give them a few more albums and it wouldn't be out of the question for the third compilation to equal the second in the eyes of a lot of casual fans and some diehards (such as myself).

I think the final compilation will be more in the vein of what R.E.M. did recently. A career spanning two-disc set that covers everything they ever did. Like R.E.M., it would downplay their early material and middle stuff (Zooropa/Pop) in order to make room for everything, especially the later hits.

My guess:

1. I Will Follow
2. Gloria
3. New Year's Day
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday
5. Pride
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. Bad
8. Where The Streets Have No Name
9. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
10. With Or Without You
11. Running To Stand Still
12. Desire
13. Angel of Harlem
14. All I Want Is You
15. Mysterious Ways
16. One

1. Even Better Than The Real Thing
2. Until The End Of The World
3. Zooropa (Single Edit)
4. Stay (Faraway, So Close)
5. Miss Sarajevo
6. Discotheque
7. Sweetest Thing (Single Mix)
8. Beautiful Day
9. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
10. Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
11. Walk On (Single Mix)
12. Vertigo
13. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
14. City Of Blinding Lights
15. Magnificent
16. Moment Of Surrender
(New Song #1)
(New Song #2)

Remove "Magnificent" and "Running To Stand Still" and "Zooropa" accordingly as their catalog fills up with other major hits down the road.

BigMacPhisto said:
The fourteen track selections for a third Best Of would be these according to the Rate Your Song Series results:

City of Blinding Lights
Moment Of Surrender
No Line On The Horizon
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Kite
Fez - Being Born
Stateless
Mercy
Magnificent
Breathe
Vertigo
Walk On
Cedars Of Lebanon
When I Look At The World

As fantastic as this list is, you forgot to include Beautiful Day, which was ranked second in the 2000s.

There's no chance in hell that Beautiful Day would be left off any compilation of 2000-onward. It and Vertigo are the big 2 reasons any non-die-hard would buy the album.

Niceman said:
I don't think he forgot. That song was on 1990-2000, which should preclude it being on 2000-2010.

Why? 2000 is in both 1990-2000 and 2000-2010, and there's no way in hell U2 would leave their most successful song of the decade off of its best of. Nor would I want them to... the real sin was making it 1990-2000 instead of 1990-1999, but leaving BD off of 2000-2010 wouldn't rectify that.

Why? 2000 is in both 1990-2000 and 2000-2010, and there's no way in hell U2 would leave their most successful song of the decade off of its best of. Nor would I want them to... the real sin was making it 1990-2000 instead of 1990-1999, but leaving BD off of 2000-2010 wouldn't rectify that.

Well, why not include it on the 1980-1990 too while we're at it? The song either counts as one decade or the other. They made their choice.

Well, why not include it on the 1980-1990 too while we're at it? The song either counts as one decade or the other. They made their choice.

Except neither 1990-2000 nor 2000-2010 is a decade; they're both eleven year periods, and they're both inclusive of 2000. Is that dumb? Yeah, it is. The best ofs should have been 1980-1989, 1990-1999, and 2000-2009. But they're not; they're not based off of decades.

I would not include BD on 1980-1990 because it was not created any time between 1980 and 1990, and it was not created specifically for that best of.

I agree 100% with Niceman. If they stick BD on the next Best Of after already having it on the last, it would be a) amateurish and b) reek of fucking desperation. They may as well make a press release saying "Hey, folks! We have zero faith in this collection selling without Beautiful Day so here it is again! Please buy it, mansions don't build themselves ya know". As Niceman correctly pointed out - they made their choice. By all means they should release a new compilation called "U2 Gold" or whatever, and throw in whatever they like.

Second disc.

Nero
Leviticus
Maybe, We'll See That You'll Have to Wait Forever (Lots of hits)!
Day of the Dead
High Diving Board
Free
Safety Belt
Kingdom of the Fife and Drum
Schlock (acoustic)
Bob (alternate)
Decoding the Universe (alternate)
YHWH (alternate)
Window in The Cheese
Silence of the Foreign Grave
No Album on the Horizon II

I agree 100% with Niceman. If they stick BD on the next Best Of after already having it on the last, it would be a) amateurish and b) reek of fucking desperation. They may as well make a press release saying "Hey, folks! We have zero faith in this collection selling without Beautiful Day so here it is again! Please buy it, mansions don't build themselves ya know". As Niceman correctly pointed out - they made their choice. By all means they should release a new compilation called "U2 Gold" or whatever, and throw in whatever they like.

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

EXACTLY!

Except neither 1990-2000 nor 2000-2010 is a decade; they're both eleven year periods, and they're both inclusive of 2000. Is that dumb? Yeah, it is. The best ofs should have been 1980-1989, 1990-1999, and 2000-2009. But they're not; they're not based off of decades.

I would not include BD on 1980-1990 because it was not created any time between 1980 and 1990, and it was not created specifically for that best of.

If they are doing a series of Best-ofs separated by decades then making them overlap is nonsense. 1990-2000 could mean anything from Jan 1 1990-Dec 31 1999 or it could mean Jan 1 1990- Dec 31 2000. The grammatical question is whether 2000 is the limitation or if it's inclusive. They had to make a decision, and as I see it, they did. They put BD on 1990-2000. Putting the same song on two sequential Best-Ofs would reek of desperation.

I don't see how it's desperate, but I don't think that it's logical to put it on, either.

Niceman said:
If they are doing a series of Best-ofs separated by decades then making them overlap is nonsense. 1990-2000 could mean anything from Jan 1 1990-Dec 31 1999 or it could mean Jan 1 1990- Dec 31 2000. The grammatical question is whether 2000 is the limitation or if it's inclusive. They had to make a decision, and as I see it, they did. They put BD on 1990-2000. Putting the same song on two sequential Best-Ofs would reek of desperation.

Songs from 1980 were on Best Of 80-90 and songs from 2000 were on Best Of 90-2000. I mean, it's stupid that 2000 overlaps with both 1990-2000 and 2000-2010 (like I said, they should have been 90-99 and 2000-2009) but there's no way a best of 2000-2010 would be released without BD, at the very least. It was the most successful single associated with "2000s". It was incredibly dumb to release it on the 90-00 compilation, but it would not make commercial sense to leave it off of a 2000s compilation.

01. Vertigo
02. Crazy Tonight
03. Get On Your Boots
04. Elevation (Tomb Raider)
05. No Line On The Horizon
06. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
07. Love And Peace Or Else
08. City Of Blinding Lights
09. Kite
10. Magnificent
11. Moment Of Surrender
12. Walk On
13. Original Of The Species
14. Breathe
15. Window In The Skies

01. Soon
02. Winter
03. Fast Cars
04. Native Son
05. Big Girls Are Best
06. Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
07. Neon Lights
08. Fast Cars (Jacknife Lee Mix)
09. No Line On The Horizon II
10-15. Various Remixes

01. Vertigo
02. Crazy Tonight
03. Get On Your Boots
09. Kite
10. Magnificent
11. Moment Of Surrender
12. Walk On
14. Breathe
15. Window In The Skies

01. Soon
02. Winter
03. Fast Cars
04. Native Son
05. Big Girls Are Best
07. Neon Lights
10-15. Various Remixes

Not bad. I'd open with Magnificent rather than Vertigo, just because Vertigo has already opened an album. Also, you didn't leave any space for new songs. But not bad. Mercy should be on there somewhere. Walk On is the only stinker you included.

Niceman said:
Not bad. I'd open with Magnificent rather than Vertigo, just because Vertigo has already opened an album. Also, you didn't leave any space for new songs. But not bad. Mercy should be on there somewhere. Walk On is the only stinker you included.

Why do you hate Walk On so much? You're very vocal about it. It's one of my top 5 U2 songs ever.

Why do you hate Walk On so much? You're very vocal about it. It's one of my top 5 U2 songs ever.

I don't know if I can answer the question. Why is Grace a crap song? Why are the lyrics to New York bad? I mean, it's all obvious to me, but I don't know if I can answer the questions.

01. Vertigo
02. Crazy Tonight
03. Get On Your Boots
09. Kite
10. Magnificent
11. Moment Of Surrender
12. Walk On
14. Breathe
15. Window In The Skies

01. Soon
02. Winter
03. Fast Cars
04. Native Son
05. Big Girls Are Best
07. Neon Lights
10-15. Various Remixes

I think you can probably axe Love and Peace or Else and throw in North Star and Mercy as new songs and you've pretty much got what I'd expect.

Niceman said:
I don't know if I can answer the question. Why is Grace a crap song? Why are the lyrics to New York bad? I mean, it's all obvious to me, but I don't know if I can answer the questions.

Fair enough. I can't explain why I dislike some songs either.

01. Vertigo
02. Crazy Tonight
03. Get On Your Boots
09. Kite
10. Magnificent
11. Moment Of Surrender
12. Walk On
14. Breathe
15. Window In The Skies

01. Soon
02. Winter
03. Fast Cars
04. Native Son
05. Big Girls Are Best
07. Neon Lights
10-15. Various Remixes

A few tweaks:

01. Magnificent
02. Elevation (Tomb Raider or a new mix)
03. Vertigo
04. Get On Your Boots (New mix. I expect it will be more like the live version.)
05. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
06. Kite
07. City Of Blinding Lights
08. Crazy Tonight (Album version)
09. Mercy (New studio version.)
10. Moment Of Surrender
11. New Song
12. In a Little While
13. Breathe
14. No Line On The Horizon
15. Original Of The Species
16. Window In The Skies

01. Soon
02. Winter
03. Fast Cars
04. Native Son
05. Big Girls Are Best
07. Mercy (Demo version)
08. Neon Lights
09. Crazy Tonight (Live Remix)
10. Fast Cars (Jacknife Lee Mix)
11. No Line On The Horizon II
12-16. Various Remixes

But I'm not entirely happy with this. Five tracks from one album is too many. U2 do need 2 more albums before they do another Best-Of.

There is no need to waste space on any worthless fucking remix.
There is no value to them anymore, at all.

My 'disc two' list is still superior. :wink:
It was a real list with real songs guys, I just felt silly and changed the song titles.
I mean, if you don't know what song 'Nero' is...

I can't stand when artists put a new song on a "hits" album. A bit presumptuous.

There is no need to waste space on any worthless fucking remix.
There is no value to them anymore, at all.

My 'disc two' list is still superior. :wink:
It was a real list with real songs guys, I just felt silly and changed the song titles.
I mean, if you don't know what song 'Nero' is...

I have NO idea.

Second disc.

Nero
Leviticus
Maybe, We'll See That You'll Have to Wait Forever (Lots of hits)!
Day of the Dead
High Diving Board
Free
Safety Belt
Kingdom of the Fife and Drum
Schlock (acoustic)
Bob (alternate)
Decoding the Universe (alternate)
YHWH (alternate)
Window in The Cheese
Silence of the Foreign Grave
No Album on the Horizon II

Yeah, seriously. I can guess at a few, but I mostly have no idea. Were we supposed to? :huh:

The idea of U2's biggest hit and defining song from the 2000s NOT being on a collection of songs from that period is hilarious. Like casual listeners are really paying attention to what was on the last best of (that they didn't buy because they don't give a shit).

Omitting the 3rd or 4th most popular one would be pretty funny too.

True LM, but they left the song that defined their 90s output off the 1990-2000 best of, a song that was a massive number 1 in the UK, knocking Bryan Adams off number 1 after 16 weeks, the sound of 4 men cutting down the joshua tree.
How on earth could The Fly not have been on that album!

Back
Top Bottom