Beach clip #1 - Moment of Surrender or NLOTH? *Discuss Clip 1 Here*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
I figured that if "Sexy Boots" gets its own thread, why not MOS?

A Couple of Things:

1) I am 95% sure that Clip 1 is "Moment of Surrender". I don't think it has been brought up yet that the word "Surrender" leads off each section of the verse. Listen at 1:03 and 1:21. ("Surrender...what you thought was wrong" is what I'm hearing on the first one.)

This song also fits the description that Eno gave of it saying it is the best thing he has ever done with U2. Whether or not you agree with him is entirely subjective but this is definitely a track that I could imagine him saying that about.

That said, whether or not this is the song in question, it is absolutely epic. I haven't felt this way about a U2 song in quite a while. It seems to have the universality of a "One" or "With Or Without You". I can see people from any walk of life and all varieties of situations, chanting along to this amazing tune.

2) Also, try to imagine this song in a live setting. I will predict this as closer for the upcoming tour. Close your eyes while listening to this and imagine you are at the end of a show next year and this song is the closer. The entire crowd is chanting together, tears are streaming down faces, then Edge breaks into that beautiful solo...

Anyway, what do you think? Is this song "Moment of Surrender"? Would this not be the best closer for a show? Let's hear your thoughts and thoughts in general on this beautiful song, whatever it may be called.

I figured that if "Sexy Boots" gets its own thread, why not MOS?

A Couple of Things:

1) I am 95% sure that Clip 1 is "Moment of Surrender". I don't think it has been brought up yet that the word "Surrender" leads off each section of the verse. Listen at 1:03 and 1:21. ("Surrender...what you thought was wrong" is what I'm hearing on the first one.)

This song also fits the description that Eno gave of it saying it is the best thing he has ever done with U2. Whether or not you agree with him is entirely subjective but this is definitely a track that I could imagine him saying that about.

That said, whether or not this is the song in question, it is absolutely epic. I haven't felt this way about a U2 song in quite a while. It seems to have the universality of a "One" or "With Or Without You". I can see people from any walk of life and all varieties of situations, chanting along to this amazing tune.

2) Also, try to imagine this song in a live setting. I will predict this as closer for the upcoming tour. Close your eyes while listening to this and imagine you are at the end of a show next year and this song is the closer. The entire crowd is chanting together, tears are streaming down faces, then Edge breaks into that beautiful solo...

Anyway, what do you think? Is this song "Moment of Surrender"? Would this not be the best closer for a show? Let's hear your thoughts and thoughts in general on this beautiful song, whatever it may be called.

Apart from the tears at the concert bit i agree with you. The song does sound quite epic and would make a great closer on tour.

I can't tell if he's saying surrender there, but it does fit with this comment: "We heard Moment of Surrender (I am guessing it is that one because the word surrender comes back a few times). We heard it twice. Like I said it starts a little bit like Stuck but less cheasy/poppy. But the end of this song is truly magnificent with long, beautiful guitar parts." in the other thread (Insider Information).

Whether this is Moment of Surrender or not, I think it does sound like a closing song....on the album and possibly on tour. It would be a great way to end both.

I haven't heard Surrender yet, the lyrics are really pretty hard to make out, but I like your post and I think the song could very well be MOS. Edge's guitar outro is amazing, it's among the best guitar work he's ever done.

I can't tell if he's saying surrender there, but it does fit with this comment: "We heard Moment of Surrender (I am guessing it is that one because the word surrender comes back a few times). We heard it twice. Like I said it starts a little bit like Stuck but less cheasy/poppy. But the end of this song is truly magnificent with long, beautiful guitar parts." in the other thread (Insider Information).

I had forgotten about that quote. This at least "confirms" that he is saying "Surrender". Like I said, 95% sure.

it's a beautiful song and has the potential to be one of the greats.

the only thing that can sink it at this point is cheesy/hallmark card inspired phrasings. it's definitely sounds like an uplifting chorus, but hoping they avoid the "stuck in a moment..." vibe.

the only thing that can sink it at this point is cheesy/hallmark card inspired phrasings. it's definitely sounds like an uplifting chorus, but hoping they avoid the "stuck in a moment..." vibe.

agreed....chorus is too cheesy, apart from that, it's great!!!!!

I agree. If Bono does not bring some lyrics that match the vibe/urgency/beauty of the tune then it could fall flat (see OOTS, COBL, SYCMIOYO...). At this point I have no idea what they are saying in that chorus.

I just listened to it again, but I simply cannot make out the lyrics. To me, there's no Surrender in there, but who knows. I wish the clips would be a bit clearer, the waves are so loud it's annoying.

The way Bono is Singing some lines reminds me of if you wear that velvet dress, anyone else getting that?

I think you are right; I too can hear Surrender. Also a poster on U2achtung who also has heard some songs from Eze posted the following:

"We heard Moment of Surrender (I am guessing it is that one because the word surrender comes back a few times). We heard it twice. Like I said it starts a little bit like Stuck but less cheasy/poppy. But the end of this song is truly magnificent with long, beautiful guitar parts."

The last sentence in particular certainly matches what we have heard.

I think you are right; I too can hear Surrender. Also a poster on U2achtung who also has heard some songs from Eze posted the following:

"We heard Moment of Surrender (I am guessing it is that one because the word surrender comes back a few times). We heard it twice. Like I said it starts a little bit like Stuck but less cheasy/poppy. But the end of this song is truly magnificent with long, beautiful guitar parts."

The last sentence in particular certainly matches what we have heard.

The same person said that none of the 4 clips seems to be Moment of Surrender.

I just realized U2 already had a song called "Surrender" :wink:

It was pretty decent for an 80's pop song too. Quite epic.

I just realized U2 already had a song called "Surrender" :wink:

It was pretty decent for an 80's pop song too. Quite epic.

Maybe they would have called this song "Surrender" (since that's all we hear in the clip) but instead named it "Moment of..." because they already have a "Surrender" in their back catalog? That would explain why you don't hear "moment of..." in the clip.

I guess that's one problem with being a band for over 30 years. You start running out of song titles.

Wow, so much for that theory - and it seemed to fit so well. But good news if it means another song out there still that is even better than these 4.

If this really is not MOS then I have a feeling we are in for a real powerhouse of an album.

After hearing the word "Surrender", what was the person's reasoning for deciding it NOT to be "Moment of Surrender"? I can't seem to access that post, so forgive me if this is explained there.

Didn't the Slow Loris say (a couple weeks ago) that the theme for this album was Surrender?

After hearing the word "Surrender", what was the person's reasoning for deciding it NOT to be "Moment of Surrender"? I can't seem to access that post, so forgive me if this is explained there.

Didn't the Slow Loris say (a couple weeks ago) that the theme for this album was Surrender?

yes I believe the Slow Loris did mention that

Yeah I just found the quote from July 20th: "As the idea of grace is a big theme of All That You Can't Leave Behind, the idea of surrender is a big theme on this album..."

I think this further complicates things (if you're willing to put any stock in the Slow Loris' answers as either a) an insider or b) someone who has heard the album by standing outside the studio or Bono and Edge's beach house). If "Surrender" is the album's theme, this is the only possible way that track one is NOT "Moment of Surrender". I find it unlikely that U2 would use the term "Surrender" so prominently in 2 album songs, despite the fact that they did this very thing with Rejoice/Scarlet on October---unless, of course, the concept of Surrender was some big overarching theme of the album. Thoughts?

I have been trying very hard to work out the lyrics to this song, because it's my favourite of the 4 clips.

I wonder what you think of my interpretation.

I think that in the first verse I can hear him say the following:

"J33, the magic number" - this is at 12 seconds in.

Then, at 22 seconds, he sings "Dial it"

I might be totally wrong, but I remembered how Bono or Edge said that numbers were very important in this album.

"J33" is a number that has been used before - on the cover of ATYCLB, in the top left. The band altered the image of the airport terminal to put 'J33_3' in. I am not religious but I understand this refers to a verse in the bible, possibly Jeremiah or Job, which is known as 'God's phone number' - hence why I think he might be singing "Dial it" at 0.22.

Maybe one of you can help me out with this bible verse - I believe it goes something like:

"Call to me and I will answer you and show you great and hidden things that you have not known".

I remember reading an interview with Bono back in the ATYCLB days where he said he found it scrawled on a wall in a public toilet, or something like that, and the idea stuck with him.

Then in the first chorus, I hear the following:

"Shout it out... Rise up...
Gravity
Heal me
Teach me
That I may be..."

I don't want to over-analyse and I may be well off, but I just wondered what you guys think, and if you can hear the same?

I have been trying very hard to work out the lyrics to this song, because it's my favourite of the 4 clips.

I wonder what you think of my interpretation.

I think that in the first verse I can hear him say the following:

"J33, the magic number" - this is at 12 seconds in.

Then, at 22 seconds, he sings "Dial it"

I might be totally wrong, but I remembered how Bono or Edge said that numbers were very important in this album.

"J33" is a number that has been used before - on the cover of ATYCLB, in the top left. The band altered the image of the airport terminal to put 'J33_3' in. I am not religious but I understand this refers to a verse in the bible, possibly Jeremiah or Job, which is known as 'God's phone number' - hence why I think he might be singing "Dial it" at 0.22.

Maybe one of you can help me out with this bible verse - I believe it goes something like:

"Call to me and I will answer you and show you great and hidden things that you have not known".

I remember reading an interview with Bono back in the ATYCLB days where he said he found it scrawled on a wall in a public toilet, or something like that, and the idea stuck with him.

Then in the first chorus, I hear the following:

"Shout it out... Rise up...
Gravity
Heal me
Teach me
That I may be..."

I don't want to over-analyse and I may be well off, but I just wondered what you guys think, and if you can hear the same?

Well...at 4 seconds, I hear Bono sing "Take me away, yeah, uncover me" then the next thing I can make out is what you said...."J33, magic number" then "dial it" at 22 seconds :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom