Band News from HQ!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's get reasonable, the only reason most of the people's standpoint on the supposed "moroccan" influences on the next album emerges from Fast Cars is because some Q columnist who probably never heard moroccan music connected his personal association regarding fast cars with a moroccan bazar, there isn't anything particularly moroccan or spanish about Fast Cars, it does employ a sound and vibe reminiscent of flamenco music but rhythmically and structuraly doesn't really borrow from that style.
actually even Fire from October might sound more moroccan to me than Fast Cars.
there are many streams and styles in moroccan music, and andaloussian music (linked to acoustic flamenco) is just one of them, you have 6/8 dances, Ghnawa (ecstatic sufi group singing), classical arabic music, african call and response influences, and a lot more.
now if we listen to U2's back catalogue, we can find many elemnts characteristic of the aforementioned styles, so I don't think that anyone can be drawn into conclusions of what shape the so called "moroccan" influence might take, it's as probable as it is to assume that someone returning from India would make food which is mainly yellow, based on the knowledge that turmeric is in wide use in India.

I think any "moroccan" influence on this album would be very subtle, this is a U2 record after all, if they decide to put it out as a "Passengers" like project with no serious commercial pretensions, they might release the original cuts with guest players, but since Edge said they're "getting serious" I'm afraid they decided to put out a U2 record, and crediting Eno and Lanois for songwriting is a big principal step anyway so I wouldn't expect to many revolutions on one record.

That's my assumption, on the other hand, assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups...

Well said. I just don't think it will be that unusual a record. I do still think they'll stick pretty close to the commercial middle. A 10% dressing up of fairly regular songs at a surface level of sound only (ie Fast Cars) I think is still the most likely scenario.

I will absolutely be more than happy to be proven completely wrong though.

Fast cars = Morocco ? It reminds me of something Spanish (flamenco?).
I think the Morocco-ish songs on the album will sound less Western than Fast cars (or Desert Rose), and I think the album will be less "U2" (especially compared to the recent output) because, not in spite of Eno and Lanois co-writing everything. I think the original plan Steve Averill was talking about was changed and that the "Passengers part II" will be a new album, and the Rubin stuff that was (presumably) to be the new album, got scrapped, or at least, delayed.

If those two could change it up from the first three albums to UF, and the 80's albums to AB, and 90's stuff to ATYCLB, imagine what they'll do if they co-write rather than just produce the songs ? Already the descriptions sound nothing like the 00's albums.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Fast cars = Morocco ? It reminds me of something Spanish (flamenco?).
I think the Morocco-ish songs on the album will sound less Western than Fast cars (or Desert Rose), and I think the album will be less "U2" (especially compared to the recent output) because, not in spite of Eno and Lanois co-writing everything. I think the original plan Steve Averill was talking about was changed and that the "Passengers part II" will be a new album, and the Rubin stuff that was (presumably) to be the new album, got scrapped, or at least, delayed.

If those two could change it up from the first three albums to UF, and the 80's albums to AB, and 90's stuff to ATYCLB, imagine what they'll do if they co-write rather than just produce the songs ? Already the descriptions sound nothing like the 00's albums.

:up:

And your post has encapsulated exactly why we should be really really excited at the new direction, and wait til we hear it before we make up our minds.

PookaMacP said:

:up:

And your post has encapsulated exactly why we should be really really excited at the new direction, and wait til we hear it before we make up our minds.

I agree with the both of you! I believe this will be aa different album all together and I am hoping it will be something that at first it will be like WTF is the music to me and then becomes one of those growers like AB and POP were for me which AB happens to be my all time favorite album now! And yes don't judge the album yet since noone has even heard a single note of it!

Fast Cars sounds totally middle eastern to me! The music, the style of singing (especially the intro and outro)... the whole song conjures up images of exotic dancers in beautiful pillared halls... a setting very similar to the places used in the Mysterious Ways video.

Iskra said:

Nope.
Sting is amazing. People that think otherwise have mostly fallen for the late night comic comments about him and his tantric sex. Go listen to some of his songs.

Fragile :drool:

As awesome as it was to see the Police last year, I'd love to see Sting perform solo.

There are rumors flying the UABRS will be released this fall, as well as the remasters being pushed back until then. MEANING that U2 are not planning to release an album this fall. Why would they release a product that would potentially compete with their new album?

This thread itself said that they might release it in either November OR March. That pretty much convinced me that it will not be released this November. And it won't be released next March either. P McG will only let them release it in the fall. Meaning fall of 2009, people!! I have no faith at all that it will be released this year, and logic tells us they won't release an album any time other than fall... or anything else. Which means 2010 tour, unfortunately.

The_acrobat said:
There are rumors flying the UABRS will be released this fall, as well as the remasters being pushed back until then. MEANING that U2 are not planning to release an album this fall. Why would they release a product that would potentially compete with their new album?

This thread itself said that they might release it in either November OR March. That pretty much convinced me that it will not be released this November. And it won't be released next March either. P McG will only let them release it in the fall. Meaning fall of 2009, people!! I have no faith at all that it will be released this year, and logic tells us they won't release an album any time other than fall... or anything else. Which means 2010 tour, unfortunately.

Why not just wait and see – and cool down a bit. Even the band seemingly hasn't decided yet. So why should you?

Maybe u2's making a two part album... and one half will be finished this fall.. and the next half for next fall... <_<

Probably not happening but ya know..... maybe......

The_acrobat said:

You really think UABRS would 'compete' with a new U2 album? Seriously? No matter when released, it's only going to be attractive to a % of full on U2 fans in the short term.

Wait, Red Rocks has been pushed back? The last thing I've heard is that the remasters and the DVD are about to be released in summer. I thought that would be a very nice start into the "U2 season". :drool: :wink:

Who knows. :shrug: That was a pretty quick about face from this news from last week or so.

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=186235&pagenumber=1

You'd think if there were "rumours flying around" some of them would have flown in here.

I have all the releases pre-ordered from Amazon so when/if the release dates change they should notify me. Right now they have all 4 of them for June 24. I'm even impressed that this time they even have the LP's listed for pre-order also. For the JT release I had to get the LP from Amazon.uk.

Visiongfx said:
Maybe u2's making a two part album... and one half will be finished this fall.. and the next half for next fall... <_<

Probably not happening but ya know..... maybe......

I really like this idea, especially if it was the intention. Sometimes I wish there was that adrenaline when the band gets into 3rd or 4th leg territory and the setlists themselves get a little stale, with a few exceptions of course. Just ask Axver :wink: But, we've had two tours in a row where the band has made mention that they'd like to go right back into the studios and make that next record after the tour. Here's my optimism showing, but maybe they are building a great catalog of music for the next 1-2 years for the reason Visiongfx mentioned. Why not I ask :up:

Maybe that last leg of the Vertigo tour where they really mixed it up gave them the confidence to enter a tour with more than the average new album setlist. I do think that more than any other factor, that U2 weighs an album's final everything with it's Live impact. It would be great to see U2 introduce a new element and emphasis on their own Live tour approach, such as the planned 2-album idea. I can't recall off the top of my head if any group has done this-planned.

The word from Zootopia via the guys waiting outside HQ is that the boys are away for about the next three weeks..

TheEdge1987 said:
The word from Zootopia via the guys waiting outside HQ is that the boys are away for about the next three weeks..

Anybody think it is a bit ironic that right after the Edge says they're staring to get serious that they take a few weeks off? It will be a bit upsetting if the album is indeed delayed until next year, but I'm still optimistic about a November release.

LOL I was at work yesterday at my office with the radio on and the lady said that U2 had scrapped all their work and restarting over! I know I know there are tons of threads about this and I totally know it is from a quote that was totally taken out of context but i can't believe that a radio station who is fairly huge here in vancouver would just grab any information without verifying and announce it as if it was fact! Anyway thats it just wanted to say that sorry for bringing up the "u2 is scrapping their album" story up again.

Cheers,
Nico

dabiggestu2fan said:
LOL I was at work yesterday at my office with the radio on and the lady said that U2 had scrapped all their work and restarting over! I know I know there are tons of threads about this and I totally know it is from a quote that was totally taken out of context but i can't believe that a radio station who is fairly huge here in vancouver would just grab any information without verifying and announce it as if it was fact! Anyway thats it just wanted to say that sorry for bringing up the "u2 is scrapping their album" story up again.

Cheers,
Nico

yeah, while i'm sorry to keep the convo going too, i've simply heard too many things about the band scrapping their work and starting over to not acknowledge it.

if it's true, that would be odd that it happened under eno and lanois though.

mikal said:

yeah, while i'm sorry to keep the convo going too, i've simply heard too many things about the band scrapping their work and starting over to not acknowledge it.

if it's true, that would be odd that it happened under eno and lanois though.

at this point, i would not be surprised. with HTDAAB, i searched through the forums here, they had already announced a tour for 2005 in early May 2004. granted, it got shuffled because of the illness and nearly postponed, but they had confirmed a tour already by this point in 2004.

additionally, they were talking of and or shooting in Lisbon for the cover and promo photos for the album. we have heard not a peep of the tour nor a peep of any artwork being done.

i'm thinking we are due for a march release.

popacrobat said:

at this point, i would not be surprised. with HTDAAB, i searched through the forums here, they had already announced a tour for 2005 in early May 2004. granted, it got shuffled because of the illness and nearly postponed, but they had confirmed a tour already by this point in 2004.

additionally, they were talking of and or shooting in Lisbon for the cover and promo photos for the album. we have heard not a peep of the tour nor a peep of any artwork being done.

i'm thinking we are due for a march release.

if that's the case, that's really unfortunate. that will be almost 5 years in between albums.

mikal said:

if that's the case, that's really unfortunate. that will be almost 5 years in between albums.

not saying that what 4 years ago HAS to equal 4 years ago in terms of their timeline. but if history is an indicator, we should have heard PLENTY of rumors by now and some confirmed news re: album, tour, single, and even some whispered track names besides No Line on the Horizon. We have nothing right now.

popacrobat said:

not saying that what 4 years ago HAS to equal 4 years ago in terms of their timeline. but if history is an indicator, we should have heard PLENTY of rumors by now and some confirmed news re: album, tour, single, and even some whispered track names besides No Line on the Horizon. We have nothing right now.

What do you mean nothing?? The new single played 10 times to some guests is nothing???

=\

Well if they don't come out with it this year, i still got a few other bands im super exicted for this fall :wink:

Visiongfx said:

What do you mean nothing?? The new single played 10 times to some guests is nothing???

=\

Well if they don't come out with it this year, i still got a few other bands im super exicted for this fall :wink:

yes, that is nothing. have any of us actually HEARD anything of the new album aside from vague quotes and that they 'hope' to have it out in the fall? better yet, one of those vague quotes from somebody who heard the single (maybe didn't hear the single, but somebody who was there) said they they won't rush and will put it out in March if need be.

I'm just saying, compared to four years ago, we have nothing in terms of information regarding the new album. at least we had even if they were fake, rumors of the albums name. solar, winter, etc. we had some track titles. we had a tour confirmation. i no longer expect an album in the fall. i'm not complaining, they can take their time if they wish, they've earned the right to do so. 4.5 years is still a LONG time between albums though.

I would love to be wrong and hope to hear a heavy flow and flurry of news in the coming weeks. so please prove me wrong, U2.

Back
Top Bottom