Band at the Hanover Quay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sessions in HQ are over, not the album recording. I think they probably have lots of ideas and are now just focusing on the direction to take. There is still plenty of time to wrap this up by November.

Some of you are clearly over-reacting (no surprise, though); just because they aren't in a recording studio 24/7 for 365 days, doesn't mean they are not working on their music. Some fans seem to think they know everything U2 does all the time. Wrong. Stop spreading negativity about something that hasn't even happened yet. Breaks in the recording process are totally natural, and, as every artist knows, can be quite productive, including Bono's travelling and other activities. U2 have enough experience in this field to do what they consider to be right. Leave it to them and distract yourselves with music by other people while waiting for the new album.

Rob33 said:

interesting :hmm: I didn't think of it like that but that would make sense, considering the massive amount of material they supposedly have...

but when he says "Now we will pick our favorite beginnings and say, 'OK, that's a lovely springboard. Now what are we trying to say?" I interpret the "what are we trying to say?" part as "ok now what after the intro, where do we go from here?" which would suggest they aren't polishing, and actually still have a lot of work to do....

I guess it's a moot point, who knows :shrug:

Sounds to me like he might be saying - we've got the bones of an album - now what we need to do is to figure out which ones go on there, in what order, and what are we trying to say with the album.

popacrobat said:

i agree, but i do think all signs point to an october release at this point barring some major set back.

i forget the time frame of the quote of the springboards and beginnings, but it's feasible that they worked their tails off at hanover quay and have added and subtracted to those. in no way do I think they are done recording, but more taking a step back, seeing what they have, then adding/subtracting some more into june/july and having it wrapped up then, delivering a single in late august/september with the album in late october.

I think this is probably a fairly good estimate of what's happening - see what they've got, consolidate it, put it into shape, and then get the record out later in the year.

Two other things strike me:
1. There's no hurry here nor should there be on their part - they obviously want to get it right, so taking their time will be part of that.

2. There is a distinct possibility that the various messages that we've been getting from the different members of the band are an attempt to deflect some of the publicity and/or pressure. In other words, to not build up to a release date, or give any semblance of being ready to go when they are clearly not, and to avoid giving themselves deadlines that it might be difficult to meet. Think of how Radiohead went about In Rainbows - everybody knew they had the songs there, we'd heard them live for a few years (in the case of 'Nude' nearly ten years), they worked on them until they were completely happy with them, and only released them when they felt that things were exactly ready, surprising the world. Now, I know that Radiohead's situation made this time-scale different (no need for expensive/extensive marketing, etc), but it is feasible I think to imagine that U2 want to keep this a bit queiter. It sounds like they're really enjoying the process, so why not take their time and get it right.

In any case, there's plenty of other stuff to keep us interested between now and a new U2 album, and we should just be delighted that they seem so enthusiastic and that they're so positive about the work.

All good things come to (s)he who waits.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Bad news, very bad news imo:
1. The band starts collecting ideas in '07, then they need to get away, need new inspiration somewhere else: So U2 travel to Fez, jam there, record there. Then you have the curtain again (hopefully with some work behind it), a kind of half year break from official recordings.
2. After the long, long break we have them finally in Dublin, in the studio, but after three weeks the curtain falls down once again. Strange enough, that this happens, after the creative mastermind Brian Eno has entered the studio. Is that logical? Were there stop signs by the producer? Or did he approve everything?
3. Sam O'Sullivan seems imo to be unsure in his comment to the Italian interviewer: The band wants to stop now, to re-listen the material, to check whether it works and a) to record the last details somewhere else or b) to add further recording sessions. That doesn't sound too convinced for me & far from "Hey, the album is finally finished, w'll put the final touches soon ..."
4. Bono has now other things to do in the U.S., for example the 'American Idol' speech – wrong priorities? – so April you can forget. Maybe he has written elaborate lyrics yet, maybe he hasn't (which would be bad, bad, bad). Now another long break in the recording process might butcher the album, I fear ...
5. "What are we trying to say?" – hm, I really did hope, U2 might deliver an album as one, a rock of music and words. But this quote leaves me more than with a slight doubt – don't know, if U2 really hold an October '08 release, friends. We might face a difficult birth – because this recording style with different phases and long breaks and maybe a not so sure direction in music & lyrics will interfere with the original idea to create a masterpiece like THE JOSHUA TREE or ACHTUNG BABY.
Bono, back to the class (your band) and not anywhere else!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Overreact much?:lol:

considering nobody here is part of U2 (except me, because I am Bono), nobody really has any fucking clue what is going on, so I laugh in the face of people who try to pretend like they do. laugh long, and laugh loud.

Eazy-V said:
considering nobody here is part of U2 (except me, because I am Bono), nobody really has any fucking clue what is going on, so I laugh in the face of people who try to pretend like they do. laugh long, and laugh loud.

yeah let's just close interference, U2.com deals in facts...

Eazy-V said:

Bono, please tell us what IS going on?! :huh:

But seriously: I agree.

Long breaks between recording sessions are a good thing in my opinion. This way they can evaluate the former session each time and see what can be improved. I think the band now already has an idea of which songs are gonna make the album and which songs are not. In the next months they can have a fresh look at this 'album' and find out if they still have the same opinion about the songs. In the summer they can make their final decision about the album.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
1. The band starts collecting ideas in '07, then they need to get away, need new inspiration somewhere else: So U2 travel to Fez, jam there, record there. Then you have the curtain again (hopefully with some work behind it), a kind of half year break from official recordings.
2. After the long, long break we have them finally in Dublin, in the studio, but after three weeks the curtain falls down once again. Strange enough, that this happens, after the creative mastermind Brian Eno has entered the studio. Is that logical? Were there stop signs by the producer? Or did he approve everything?
3. Sam O'Sullivan seems imo to be unsure in his comment to the Italian interviewer: The band wants to stop now, to re-listen the material, to check whether it works and a) to record the last details somewhere else or b) to add further recording sessions. That doesn't sound too convinced for me & far from "Hey, the album is finally finished, w'll put the final touches soon ..."
4. Bono has now other things to do in the U.S., for example the 'American Idol' speech – wrong priorities? – so April you can forget. Maybe he has written elaborate lyrics yet, maybe he hasn't (which would be bad, bad, bad). Now another long break in the recording process might butcher the album, I fear ...
5. "What are we trying to say?" – hm, I really did hope, U2 might deliver an album as one, a rock of music and words. But this quote leaves me more than with a slight doubt – don't know, if U2 really hold an October '08 release, friends. We might face a difficult birth – because this recording style with different phases and long breaks and maybe a not so sure direction in music & lyrics will interfere with the original idea to create a masterpiece like THE JOSHUA TREE or ACHTUNG BABY.

Have you heard even one second of new, finished material? This is rhetorical.

Chill out, my friend. Things will be good very soon.

:sad: ( :mad: :huh: :evil: :censored: :tongue: :lol::eeklaugh: :yes:

ahh the emotions of the birthing of a new U2 album. I told myself I was not going to go through this again. But what fun would that be?

ZOOTVTOURist said:
4. Bono has now other things to do in the U.S., for example the 'American Idol' speech – wrong priorities? – so April you can forget. Maybe he has written elaborate lyrics yet, maybe he hasn't (which would be bad, bad, bad). Now another long break in the recording process might butcher the album, I fear ...
5. "What are we trying to say?" – hm, I really did hope, U2 might deliver an album as one, a rock of music and words. But this quote leaves me more than with a slight doubt – don't know, if U2 really hold an October '08 release, friends. We might face a difficult birth – because this recording style with different phases and long breaks and maybe a not so sure direction in music & lyrics will interfere with the original idea to create a masterpiece like THE JOSHUA TREE or ACHTUNG BABY.

I think they met twice with Eno and Lanois before Fez. Then they met again in November/December. Then again in Feb. I don't think that is a problem. I'm sure Edge does a lot of work getting things into shape between these sessions.

Also, in a Sundance interview Edge said something to the effect that they had to figure out which songs were going to make the album. That makes it sound like they were pretty far a long. I know that seems to contradict Lanois, but if you have Sam also saying they are near done, then it seems likely that Lanois just might not have chosen his words carefully. For a comparison, Metallica has 6 more weeks of work to do on their new album according to Lars, and it's going to be released in Sept. Such a big gap in time between finishing the work and the actual release would seem to be consistent with U2 being pretty far along if they are going to release in October (just 1 month after Metallica)

last unicorn said:

Wow ... :drool:

Any new clips?!

javiu2 said:

no... :(

Next week!! :drool:

Hmm...was that "next week" meant to be a statement, pure speculation, wishful thinking or a question?

:eyebrow: I'm a bit confused, because it's been a week now and no update that mentions anything about new clips has surfaced.
I understand if you are busy with your real life commitments and can't take the time to log on to message boards every now and then. Of course, that's OK with me since I guess we will all know pretty quickly when some new clips or news starts to circulate online anyway. ;)

I guess it's was just a matter of wishful thinking on your part then until I hear otherwise.

Last edited:
Rob33 said:
yeah things have been really quiet over here lately, what are U2 up to anyway?

Bono had to send his daughter to school. He got lost on the way, and hasn't been back since.

This is probably going to be the calm of the hype machine to come up in the ensuing months.

u2: solar!
u2: winter!
u2: right guard xtreme!
u2: u2
u2: man!

let the games begin.

Rob33 said:
yeah things have been really quiet over here lately, what are U2 up to anyway?

Other than Bono calling on the radio station, Adam was spotted in NYC recently, and Eno in Rome.

U2girl said:

Other than Bono calling on the radio station, Adam was spotted in NYC recently, and Eno in Rome.

Yes, this was last week.
But believe me the band isn't in the HQ studios anymore. A friend of mine went there and no movement around.

burningedge101 said:

I think they met twice with Eno and Lanois before Fez. Then they met again in November/December. Then again in Feb. I don't think that is a problem. I'm sure Edge does a lot of work getting things into shape between these sessions.

Also, in a Sundance interview Edge said something to the effect that they had to figure out which songs were going to make the album. That makes it sound like they were pretty far a long. I know that seems to contradict Lanois, but if you have Sam also saying they are near done, then it seems likely that Lanois just might not have chosen his words carefully. For a comparison, Metallica has 6 more weeks of work to do on their new album according to Lars, and it's going to be released in Sept. Such a big gap in time between finishing the work and the actual release would seem to be consistent with U2 being pretty far along if they are going to release in October (just 1 month after Metallica)

As a huge Metallica fan, I should point out that the reason for the huge gap between the "6 more weeks" Metallica has to put in and their Sept. release date is that they have a European summer tour fit right in the middle. If they didn't have that tour, the album would probably be out in June or so.

It appears they have, after a 3 week break but it says it is still oficially 'unconfirmed'.

Why do they have to "confirm" something whenever they go to the studio? It's their job. That's like me making an official confirmation every day I go to work. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom