atu2.com rumour: TWO albums, one digital, one regular CD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd much rather just see them release CD(s)... but as long as the album(s) can be downloaded losslessly, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatever.

Yeah I like how Lanois released his album in wav format. Much better sound quality. I also like what Elbow did with Seldom Seen Kid by not mixing it loud.

If there is nice ambience from recording in Morocco I want to hear it.

I hate the idea of anything being released digital only.

Well, thats the reality of the ever changing musical environment. Why release something on CD that might not be as well recieved by the general public when you can save a ton of money on preprinting the stuff and put it out as an online release for the more die hard fans?

I think its a brilliant biz decision that ultimately works in the favor of the band AND the fans. When you release stuff online you save a ton of money on the packaging and printing and all of that stuff. What people aren't getting here is that it helps the fans in the end because they are able to hear songs as a result that a band/record company might now have wanted to take the chance to release as a CD due to the monetary commitment. Case in point the B-sides from HTDAAB that they released on i-tunes. That stuff might have never seen the light of day on CD's unless they were broken up and tied to a single or something. Even then, bands aren't even releasing that many CD singles anymore because of the cost, so who knows if we would have ever heard the material.

I hope U2 go ahead and release TWO albums because it would certainly mean that we'd get some really great extra morsals of music along with the big stuff.

I'd much rather have one truly complete album. For example imagine if Your Blue Room, Slug & Miss Sarajevo were on Pop instead of the usual (weak) suspects.

Instead of having two uneven (IMO) albums we would have had one masterpiece. :drool:

I'd much rather have one truly complete album. For example imagine if Your Blue Room, Slug & Miss Sarajevo were on Pop instead of the usual (weak) suspects.

Instead of having two uneven (IMO) albums we would have had one masterpiece. :drool:

Nop I want more music! Sure you may get some fillers but who gives a damm? chances are that by releasing two albums you will get more great U2 songs then with releasing one album. So who cares if you get a few extra fillers??? I prefer more good U2 music then less!

LOL are people seriously in a tizzy about this?

Here we go, four years without an album, everybody clamoring for an album ASAP etc., and there's a possibility they release TWO albums and people are really groaning? really??

LOL are people seriously in a tizzy about this?

Here we go, four years without an album, everybody clamoring for an album ASAP etc., and there's a possibility they release TWO albums and people are really groaning? really??

I agree Popacrobat!! I never understood the argument that releasing two albums is bad... how can it possibly be bad??? Think about it you are getting an extra album as if it were a bonus. How much betetr could it get?? Umm I am sure at your work you wouldn't complain if your boss paid you twice on payday... or would you say nah thats too much money and it doesnt flow with my usual pay schedule??? LOL bring on two albums damm it bring on two albums!

Enough tantilizing rumors, that in the end come to nothing but a longer wait. But as much as it would stink to not be able to physically own a new release, I could see a digital only release as a way to get around the lack of commercial success from a new Passengers type project if that's true (although the record company would probably make them release at as U2 this time) we'll see. All I want is an official single...the rest can come in time, but with nothing official its always so depressing.

I agree Popacrobat!! I never understood the argument that releasing two albums is bad... how can it possibly be bad??? Think about it you are getting an extra album as if it were a bonus. How much betetr could it get?? Umm I am sure at your work you wouldn't complain if your boss paid you twice on payday... or would you say nah thats too much money and it doesnt flow with my usual pay schedule??? LOL bring on two albums damm it bring on two albums!

I don't know why you are surprised by this. This is the same forum where people endlessly debate about what songs should/should not have been on particular albums. Who cares, you have all of them anyway. And probably in the digital format of your choice so you can rearrange them in any configuration you want.

How is this any different? I say it's obvious that 2 albums worth of music is twice as good as 1. But sadly I'm not surprised that some on this forum will look for reasons to dispute that.

Well there are plenty of reasons to dispute that inductive reasoning, such as 2 albums worth of music by someone like Britney Spears is not as good as having one "Achtung Baby"... but I do agree with you guys that people are too quick to dismiss everything here as negative.

Don't worry too much. I'm sure they will concentrate the strongest material onto one disc to get the "masterpiece" they are after and the other will be a bonus of material that either didn't fit or was not quite up to par. That way we will get the masterpiece AND the extra material.

Well there are plenty of reasons to dispute that inductive reasoning, such as 2 albums worth of music by someone like Britney Spears is not as good as having one "Achtung Baby"... but I do agree with you guys that people are too quick to dismiss everything here as negative.

Well I thought it was implied that I meant two U2 albums are better than 1, but I guess not, so assume that's what I meant.

Well, thats the reality of the ever changing musical environment. Why release something on CD that might not be as well recieved by the general public when you can save a ton of money on preprinting the stuff and put it out as an online release for the more die hard fans?

I think its a brilliant biz decision that ultimately works in the favor of the band AND the fans. When you release stuff online you save a ton of money on the packaging and printing and all of that stuff. What people aren't getting here is that it helps the fans in the end because they are able to hear songs as a result that a band/record company might now have wanted to take the chance to release as a CD due to the monetary commitment. Case in point the B-sides from HTDAAB that they released on i-tunes. That stuff might have never seen the light of day on CD's unless they were broken up and tied to a single or something. Even then, bands aren't even releasing that many CD singles anymore because of the cost, so who knows if we would have ever heard the material.

They could always release it online similar to how artists like Bloc Party and Amanda Palmer have done it. That is put an online pre-order up on their website where you can order a CD and get the download then and there. It also would lower the monetary commitment to releasing a CD as the band wouldn't have to print a CD until they started selling them.

I don't really care what the band do as long as we get music, but if they release a proper album digitally I'd just love to see it get a physical release.

I doubt that we'll have 2 different albums released, or a double album.

My guess is that we'll get the traditional CD format, and also a digital download version, that will come with visual downloads for each song. In the attached Paul McGuiness interview, there is mention of something like this.

One album of new U2 songs will be enough for me......if we get more than 1 album, I fear the wait for the next one after that will be even longer!

U2: how they have stayed on top of the world - Telegraph

so rumor has it that we might get 2 albums from U2 very soon. or, we might get one album from U2 very soon.

i know i can find something to complain about if i try real hard.

All I know is that right now we have a lack of ANY album, and that is most certainly uninteresting!

I think if U2 does anything like the release of Radiohead's In Rainbows, I think it will be the "limited edition" album version that had a second otherwise unavailable album available (at an outrageous price...but throw in a keychain and bar towel maybe).

^I'm thinking that thats McGuine$$'s idea of keeping "technology" in mind. They'll release it for a reasonable price online so we pay once, then release it again later hard with more tracks, so we pay twice, then they'll re-release it next christmas as a limited special edition remaster with a dvd of the concert and make us pay thrice. :happy:

Can we make a new Interference rule?
Unless you don't have a job and have never worked for your money can you please not refer to Paul using the $$?
I find it incredibly insulting and juvenile behavior on behalf of the U2 fans.
I'm not trying to start a petty flame war, I just think he deserves some respect.
It reminds me of when my friends call U2 sell outs bc they aren't some little indie band.

Unless you don't have a job and have never worked for your money can you please not refer to Paul using the $$?
I'm not trying to start a petty flame war, I just think he deserves some respect.
It reminds me of when my friends call U2 sell outs bc they aren't some little indie band.

:applaud: :up:

I definitely see what you're saying, I just think though the whole $$ thing is in frustration to some statements he has made in the past regarding for example dowloading, or say the fact that to get two new songs the whole of U218 had to be bought even though most fans would have probably already had most songs if not all that were on the cd. I don't mean to make anybody angry seeing as how I don't post very often. I'm just saying there have been many ocasions where I feel Paul McGuinness has inconvenienced fans in the pursuit of more money even though thats what his job should entail (not the inconvenience part, but the pursuit of money part).

2 albums at the same time is just a bad idea.. competing against themselves...

just make it like AB and Zooropa... one now, the other one later, and keep the tour going

if ACDC can make it iwth a REAL CD... why not U2 ?

I only do the $ as mocking, btw

I definitely see what you're saying, I just think though the whole $$ thing is in frustration to some statements he has made in the past regarding for example dowloading, or say the fact that to get two new songs the whole of U218 had to be bought even though most fans would have probably already had most songs if not all that were on the cd. I don't mean to make anybody angry seeing as how I don't post very often. I'm just saying there have been many ocasions where I feel Paul McGuinness has inconvenienced fans in the pursuit of more money even though thats what his job should entail (not the inconvenience part, but the pursuit of money part).

He's only looking out for the interests of his clients, re: downloading. And plenty of artists add new songs on Best of compilations. (both Saints... and WITS were singles though)

Iskra, two words: militant fans. Well said Larry :up:

I totally agree with that Iskra is saying.

I've never liked this attitude of "they're not supposed to get money for their work". Thank God they are clever enough to be good not only in music, but also in business.

Paul made U2 who they are today, they have been loyal to each other for so many years. He's a good manager who has his clients' best interest at heart, we should be a little more respectful towards him.

Back
Top Bottom