As per Lanois, U2 recording next week, going electro!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Electro.gif

cool, thank you for posting it :)

well I'm just relieved that he got the "very much hand-played" part in there :wink:

but some electro should make it interesting

gabrielvox said:
^

Jesus I just sprayed my coffee everywhere

(ur avatar, skott)

hahahahaha

although, skott, at times, I know exactly what you mean :wink:

When I first read it, I thought you meant because you were so excited about the news....

what does this mean as far as Larry's drumming? Anything? I hope the "electro" component of the new album is subtle though, effective but subtle...

Last edited:
coemgen said:
How long do they typically record for? What's been the track record?

They should be able to wrap things up by the summer as always, unless they decide the album sucks and want to do it again ala HTDAAB. :wink:

(regarding the positive feedback about the avatar)

Yeah well, things were a bit slow at work yesterday and spare time can be a dangerous thing.

As I've said before, I admire his passion and he certainly keeps things interesting on the boards. That said, I completely disagree with him about 97% of the time, so I just had some fun with it.

Coffee spray! Awesome.

gabrielvox said:
ur avatar, skott

:lol:

Sure made me laugh!

skott100 said:
That's right boys. Time to get weird on us again! Great news!

Just wait till you find out what this means for Larry's wardrobe! :macdevil: :wink:

Any way, just wanted to add to my previous response that I think it bodes well for more dancing to u2 music!

Woohoo!!!
Exactly what I like.

Last edited:
Catman said:
So is this record trance or hip-hip influenced?

:scratch:

As far as I can tell, its official genre is hand-played Moroccan Trance Metal, lit on fire until it begins to melt.

God, this is confusing.

gabrielvox said:
Who's under the weather skott? How you guys doin, anyways?

We have a Fake Bono down! Our singer has a terrible flu and has been in bed for the last several days. So we had to cancel tonight's show unfortunately. Other than that, we're doing great and gearing up for the St Patrick's Day weekend and some other very cool stuff that we plan to do commemorating the 1st three albums being reissued (but more on that later...).

But getting back to the discussion at hand, I think the contradiction between electro and hand played is compelling and bizzare, but DL is kindof a strange dude. I do like the fact that he specifically mentioned "breaking new ground". I appreciate what they accomplished with the last two albums, especially HTDAAB, but I'm glad to hear that they're pushing into some unfamilar areas. Brian Eno did a really interesting record with James in the early 90's called "Wah Wah" that featured very techno/dance/electro ideas executed by a live band. Maybe they're working with a similar template? Who knows. Sounds like it's going in a very rhythmic direction so far...

I wonder... would "Mercy" fit on an album like that? Hmmmmm....

Could he be any more vague ?

As long as it's not Pop part II...

Last edited:
the tourist said:
Hand-played? How many instruments are there that aren't hand-played?

I took from it, he was talking about electronic live percussion.

As in, electronic drum kits vs. drum machines

Also sequencers vs. live playing.

The loop in 'Bad' for exmaple is a programmed sequence, rather than 'playing' and 'writing' to something like this in the studio, it's a live keyboard/guitar. Still electronic, somewhat more organic.

This could vastly improve certain chord progressions because playing to a set loop/riff/melody limits where your ear thinks it 'can go'. If Eno is jamming out some various synthology, then they could feel that the sky is limitless to an extent.

as for other elements, they could have eliminated samples and loops altogether and have chose to play everything live.

Also, although handplayed, rather than using the synthesized symphonic strings, perhaps they have chose to use actual string sections, if at all. Maybe rather than use a synthesized organ, they've wheeled out an old Hammond or something. Handplayed yes, but possibly more organic.

When Bono or whoever it was said 'polyrhythmic' I figured what he meant was a live drum kit (regular drums) playing along with various percussions , in non standard (4/4) time sigs and I hoped it was not drum machines. My guess is that it's not, it's something with a live feel, which IMO can only improve the sound.

Back
Top Bottom