As per Lanois, U2 recording next week, going electro!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skott100 said:
(regarding the positive feedback about the avatar)

Yeah well, things were a bit slow at work yesterday and spare time can be a dangerous thing.

As I've said before, I admire his passion and he certainly keeps things interesting on the boards. That said, I completely disagree with him about 97% of the time, so I just had some fun with it.

Woo, a personal attack as an avatar, that's real classy. :|

Brau, is that really necessary?

On topic: Interesting comment from Lanois... Pretty vague, though. I assume he's talking about drums.

Axver said:

WOW, you consider that a personal attack?
Are you serious?

Common, where's your sense of humor?
He's even saying he's just having some fun with it.

Any way, you can blame me for it then.
As I saw the pic on his profile, it made me laugh and I said he should use it as his avatar.

O well, I guess that goes to show, we're definitely not all the same. (great lyric, don'tcha think)
Different people, different humor, different opinions, different likes and dislikes (certain album and song preferences for example).

Axver said:
Laugh it up.

I'd say : lighten up.

But to bring it back on topic :

Inner El Guapo said:

I took from it, he was talking about electronic live percussion.

As in, electronic drum kits vs. drum machines

Also sequencers vs. live playing.

The loop in 'Bad' for exmaple is a programmed sequence, rather than 'playing' and 'writing' to something like this in the studio, it's a live keyboard/guitar. Still electronic, somewhat more organic.

This could vastly improve certain chord progressions because playing to a set loop/riff/melody limits where your ear thinks it 'can go'. If Eno is jamming out some various synthology, then they could feel that the sky is limitless to an extent.

as for other elements, they could have eliminated samples and loops altogether and have chose to play everything live.

Also, although handplayed, rather than using the synthesized symphonic strings, perhaps they have chose to use actual string sections, if at all. Maybe rather than use a synthesized organ, they've wheeled out an old Hammond or something. Handplayed yes, but possibly more organic.

When Bono or whoever it was said 'polyrhythmic' I figured what he meant was a live drum kit (regular drums) playing along with various percussions , in non standard (4/4) time sigs and I hoped it was not drum machines. My guess is that it's not, it's something with a live feel, which IMO can only improve the sound.

I thought this was a great,interesting post.

Last edited:
Damn, if he's off Monday to "begin recording" the new album with U2, I hope he didn't mean the album will be out in the fall of 2010.

Man, this could mean any number of things, all of which will just cause rows around here.

If he's just talking about drums, there is plenty of electronic/acoustic combos from the last couple records already. It's gotta be something else.

Axver said:
You know I love you, right Axver? I love you for your setlist nerding, snark bringing, brother muffining ways.

But Skott's avatar still cracked my shit up and I kinda want to steal it and use it as an MSN display picture.

But I still love you.

Baby, can we still be friends?

Oh come on, guys.

I certainly don't take it in the spirit of a joke. skott's been harassing my opinions ever since I first encountered him on Interference, and now he seems so incapable of respecting that I don't share his tastes that he has to slag me off in his avatar. I can take a joke, but plastering all over every post he makes that I'm wrong on everything? I don't appreciate that. Why the fuck do I even bother doing thousands of hours of setlist work for the U2 fan community? I mean, it must all be wrong, huh, since everything I know is wrong.

so U2's recording again? cool....

hopefully this is the last of their recordings so they can get the album finished.

Axver said:
Oh come on, guys.

I certainly don't take it in the spirit of a joke. skott's been harassing my opinions ever since I first encountered him on Interference, and now he seems so incapable of respecting that I don't share his tastes that he has to slag me off in his avatar. I can take a joke, but plastering all over every post he makes that I'm wrong on everything? I don't appreciate that. Why the fuck do I even bother doing thousands of hours of setlist work for the U2 fan community? I mean, it must all be wrong, huh, since everything I know is wrong.

I'm taking this off board as I don't want to distract from what's being discussed here.

Check your PM in a few, Ax.

Edit : Hahaha, oops, that ain't gonna work, now is it? You're not premium.

Last edited:
Seriously, I was asked to remove a very famous and inspirational photo of Johnny Cash from my avatar because it was offensive to ONE person.

Mine had a middle finger to no one in paticular, but this is a direct attack on someone.

Come on...

Last edited:
Allright then, this really is ironic that I have to say it using this sentence, but I do think you're wrong on this, Axver.

Axver said:
I certainly don't take it in the spirit of a joke.

It's too bad really.
As I'm pretty sure that's how it's meant to be.
That's how I see it any way.
And judging from a few of the other responses in this thread how some view it as well.

Axver said:
skott's been harassing my opinions ever since I first encountered him on Interference,

If Skott were really harassing your opinions, it seems to me he would at least have some more posts than he has now.

Axver said:
but plastering all over every post he makes that I'm wrong on everything?

Yeah, every 137 of them and all 3 that he made ever since the avatar has been up.

Seriously, I'd take a bet on it that you have posted your utter and foremost dislike of a certain song or album in more posts than that!

Axver said:
Why the fuck do I even bother doing thousands of hours of setlist work for the U2 fan community? I mean, it must all be wrong, huh, since everything I know is wrong.

You're no dummie.
You know this isn't aimed at the setlist stuff.
Or everything.
That's just how the quote goes.
If you change that to something unrecognizable, nobody will get the joke.

It's just that the stronger you voice your opinion on something, the higher the chances you'll get more/strong counter-opinions back.
And the further you stick your head out from the corn field, the easier of a target you are.
For the good, the bad, the ugly and the funny stuff.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Seriously, I was asked to remove a very famous and inspirational photo of Johnny Cash from my avatar because it was offensive to ONE person.

For real?
Jeez, I guess it's a good thing I'm not a moderator here.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Mine had a middle finger to no one in paticular, but this is a direct attack on someone.

For all I care, Axver, Skott or you can all put "Everything Miringeltje knows is wrong" or something else slagging me off in your avatar(s) and plaster it all over the boards, I'd still think it's funny.

Last edited:
I'm an attention whore, so it would be cool with me if someone had an avatar like that with my name on it. The vast majority of publicity = good publicity. Plus, it could backfire on them and make them look like a total douche without me even saying a word to them. :wink:

Ah yeah, it's good to be reminded that what I think is funny, someone else might not find funny.

For example : I don't get that :winky: at all, LM!

LemonMelon said:

:hmm: that would be quite an interesting album name.

O shoot, wrong thread.

Last edited:
Miringeltje said:

For example : I don't get that :winky: at all, LM!

:hmm: Just didn't want my post to come off too mean-spirited is all. I do have some interest in the feelings of others, after all. :wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Come on...

really?

$18.00

Last edited:
Miringeltje said:
It's too bad really.
As I'm pretty sure that's how it's meant to be.
That's how I see it any way.
And judging from a few of the other responses in this thread how some view it as well.

Now, I've got no problem with jokes at my expense. I've probably made more jokes at my expense than the rest of this forum combined; self-depreciating humour is what Kiwis are known for. But I think this crosses a line, especially as it's associated out of context with every one of his posts. It isn't funny to me; in light of my history of discussions with skott, I see it as pretty much a flame. He can't flame me on the One thread because it's closed, so he keeps it going on every thread he posts in with an avatar. I can't believe he had no better use of his time than to make this avatar. How petty and childish. It seems to me that he just can't respect a difference of opinion.

If Skott were really harassing your opinions, it seems to me he would at least have some more posts than he has now.

I don't mean to say he makes a point of it; rather, that every time I have dealt with him on this forum, he has slammed my opinions. I really have to wonder just how many of my posts he has even read for him to come to his ludicrous 97% conclusion. His proclamations of "he keeps this place interesting, but" just remind me of "I don't mean to offend anyone, but", and we all know whatever follows that is offensive.

Seriously, I'd take a bet on it that you have posted your utter and foremost dislike of a certain song or album in more posts than that!

That's irrelevant. Stating you hate a song is quite different to personally attacking somebody.

You're no dummie.
You know this isn't aimed at the setlist stuff.
Or everything.
That's just how the quote goes.
If you change that to something unrecognizable, nobody will get the joke.

It's just that the stronger you voice your opinion on something, the higher the chances you'll get more/strong counter-opinions back.
And the further you stick your head out from the corn field, the easier of a target you are.
For the good, the bad, the ugly and the funny stuff.

I'm just sick of n00bs rocking up and making kneejerk assumptions based on a handful of opinions when they don't even know me. Some people have even gone and spammed my blog in the past. If the U2 fan community is this petty and this incapable of accepting different opinions, then I really do wonder why on earth I bother.

LemonMelon said:
I'm an attention whore, so it would be cool with me if someone had an avatar like that with my name on it. The vast majority of publicity = good publicity. Plus, it could backfire on them and make them look like a total douche without me even saying a word to them. :wink:
Like this?

lm.gif

I'd use it myself, but I don't want to part with Madonna's rack. Anyone else is welcome to it though :D

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Like this?

lm.gif

I'd use it myself, but I don't want to part with Madonna's rack. Anyone else is welcome to it though :D

:hyper: Britt is constantly changing her av; maybe she can take it.

If Lanois meant electro drums, he could have just said so.
This seems to go with Bono's quote on U2's music usually clearing the dancefloor but not this time.

U2girl said:
If Lanois meant electro drums, he could have just said so.
This seems to go with Bono's quote on U2's music usually clearing the dancefloor but not this time.

but shit this isn't good if it means less melody :sad:

Back
Top Bottom