Article describes new song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Not sure if this has been posted already. There are a few very interesting points in this article.

Tour puts Bono to the test

KATHY McCABE
November 04, 2006 12:15am

THOUSANDS of U2 fans across the country have waited patiently for the world's biggest band to return to Australia. That wait is over.

The Australian leg of the band's world Vertigo tour has been eight months in the making, following postponement of dates in March.

Bono and his mates, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr, are very, very pleased to be back in Australia.

"It is a long way to come to feel this at home. I am surprised that I feel comfortable," Bono said after the whinge about how far Australia was from the rest of the world.

With his short hair and all-black ensemble, U2's frontman looks ready for the physical demands of restarting a tour which was halted to allow The Edge to deal with a relative's illness.

He confesses a back injury put him out of action for a few months and it could take a few gigs before he's "match fit".

"I am not fit, physically. I had a back injury and I put on weight but now I'm back boxing and I think, in all honesty, it will probably happen somewhere in this tour that I'll be match fit. I just hope it's not the day we leave," he says.

Bono and his bandmates keep the pressure on, determined not to become a karaoke machine who can sell out stadiums but whose new studio albums never trouble the upper reaches of the charts.

"If we don't make great albums, the four of us should be put down."

Bono's sense of humour and self-deprecation, and that of his bandmates, has helped them weather the inevitable backlashes along the way.

"Rock music has lost a little bit of the thing that makes it powerful when the air is sucked out of the room because somebody is saying something very private on a public address system and it's a little awkward and there's nervousness because what are they going to say next. And comedians have that power now," he says.

"The rock stars are all too cool. And I don't want to be that, I've gotten a bit too cool.

"I want to be like I was as a kid, I want to stay hot and passionate rather than cool. And that younger man you are referring to had the stupidity and the courage to sing his heart and his head out."

U2 has not been idle while Vertigo was on hold.

There are two new songs which will feature on the U218 Singles compilation to be released here during their tour.

The first is a mindblowing rock duel with Green Day on The Saints Are Coming, a cover of the late 1970s punk hit by Scottish band The Skids.

The bands recorded the song with hitmaker Rick Rubin at the legendary Abbey Road Studios in London to raise funds for Music Rising, a charity to benefit New Orleans musicians who lost their instruments to Hurricane Katrina.

It already has topped the UK charts on downloads alone and could be one of both bands' biggest hit singles.

The Saints Are Coming is a visceral performance powered by the two drummers and bassist playing together, Billie Joe Armstrong and The Edge trading guitar licks and Bono and Armstrong melding their voices with astonishing ease.

"It's never been done. oddly enough, which is interesting, Two bands like this, two bands having a baby . . . and we're not the chick," he chuckles heartily.

The other new song is Windows In The Skies. With soaring strings and a haunting piano melody. The tune is remarkably different to the stadium rock sound of their recent smash hit album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. It is huge but in a very different way and for a very different reason; Bono is learning to play piano.

"I think that's going to be our biggest song in a long time. It's a psychedelic pop song with 6/8 timing, you never hear that. It's very, very rare," he says.

"I've been taking piano lessons with my kids and every time I took a lesson, I wrote a song. I had eight lessons and I had eight songs.

"They (his bandmates) were all like 'He'll never have any songs this time' and in I bring eight. Whoa! Of course, they have much improved it."

In addition to his musical commitments, Bono continued his Debt AIDS Trade Africa campaign.

"I like the word 'activist' because it's an action word. I don't like the word 'dreamer', even though I exhorted myself and others to dream out loud, to turn it up to 11. In the end, you know, I don't like dreaming," he says.

"People did not just mock but spit in your face when you said to them we can cancel the debt of the world's poorest countries to the world's richest countries.

"We were dreaming out loud and they were laughing out loud. They were wrong."

Equally successful is the (RED) charitable initiative he launched recently in the U.S. which enlists renowned brands, including Giorgio Armani and Apple, to make products that devote part of their revenues to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.

Bono's brand of ethical shopping has struck paydirt, with most of the products - including phones, iPods, watches and credit cards - selling out within days.

To an extent, U218 Singles is for the newcomers, a retrospective which distils their love songs, their political songs, the songs that 70,000 people will sing at the top of their lungs at every concert they perform in Australia this month.

"The other new song is Windows In The Skies. With soaring strings and a haunting piano melody. The tune is remarkably different to the stadium rock sound of their recent smash hit album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. It is huge but in a very different way and for a very different reason; Bono is learning to play piano."

From the description, I think we can rule out beach clip 404 aka 'All my Life.' And thank God for that.

It sounds like 400 , Haunting Piano Melody ???

402 and 404 are all bout Guitars

It definitely sounds like 400

"I think that's going to be our biggest song in a long time. It's a psychedelic pop song with 6/8 timing, you never hear that. It's very, very rare,"

:hmm:

not 404... thank God.
I still wish it's 402

It's Good Indeed , 404 is too great to be in a compilation ....... Save those guitars for an album :drool: :drool:

And now My money is completely on "Oh Can't U See"

sounds interesting...like the description he gave.

"It's a psychedelic pop song with 6/8 timing, you never hear that"

did bono says he's become a bit too cool??

I'd love it to be 402 as well but I'm consoled by the fact that some really brilliant songs have come out in between albums:

- The Ground Beneath Her Feet
- The Hands that Built America
- Hold Me, Thrill Me....
- Electrical Storm

So I think we're right to be as excited as Bono seems to be about this album.

roy said:
Can someone describe what 6/8 timing is? :reject:

I may be bit crazy , but If I'm not , Can't U see works as 6/8

I'm really puttin money on it ..........

U can hear on the chorus sort of hiatus " Can't u see" ..... which would easily get in .... All The windows in the sky

- Plus the Song works as a perfect closer , the sort of mood closer u2 likes to put
-400 Sounds exactly as the 1 described

If it IS a Beach Clip, it's either 400 or 402.

Edit.... I just listened to 403. The little Piano Melody that starts off the song and comes back in the chorus, which goes something like "Thank-you-for-the-day-ay-ay.... it could go tit-for-tat with "Windows-In-The-Sky-ay-ay....

Or I could just be going insane.

Last edited:
The other nice thing in this article is to see that Bono recognizes 1). that he's put on weight and needs to work on that, and 2). that he's become a bit "too cool."

It looks like he knows that the Bono of new is not quite as fiery as the Bono of old & that he wants a return. Let's hope it comes out in the lyrics, too.

Fair enough. But I'm not of the thought like many on here that doing so means Bono has to drop 2 F-words every concert. It's kinda ridiculous, but U here people here say that frequently....

The Disciple said:
If it IS a Beach Clip, it's either 400 or 402.

Edit.... I just listened to 403. The little Piano Melody that starts off the song and comes back in the chorus, which goes something like "Thank-you-for-the-day-ay-ay.... it could go tit-for-tat with "Windows-In-The-Sky-ay-ay....

Or I could just be going insane.

403 isn't a U2 song

If it is 400 I would be a bit surprised because it sounded the least finished of the beach clips ... to me anyway. Also, Bono says it will be one of their biggest songs in a long time. I don't think 400 has that capability without a major overhaul, which they may have given it in the studio. I agree that 404 may have been too good for this album anyway. It will be a great anchor for the next album.

Strings? Piano?

I guess this song wont be an example of when Bono said Edge was playing guitar like he's never seen before.

Yeah... I'm starting 2 get concerned for The Edge. Bono keeps saying he's on fire. I think he should get that checked. It could be something that requires penicillin or something...

I'm not at a computer where I can listen to the beach clips ... unless someone has a link? ... but I don't remember there being any strings in 400. Are there any? Strings makes me think of 403.

after reading that article i reckon that WITS is none of the beach clips we have heard!

Back
Top Bottom