Article describes new song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Slow Loris said:

'Clocks' anyone? 'Sweetest Thing' anyone?

Not to beat a dead horse.

:wink:

Sweetest thing was the 1st best of and that would of sold great regardless.

Clocks was released on a studio album.

u2 need something special so sell the latest album.

vaz02 said:

Sweetest thing was the 1st best of and that would of sold great regardless.

Clocks was released on a studio album.

u2 need something special so sell the latest album.
Not to nitpick, but how is that the first Best Of would have sold regardless, while this one -- which has hits from their entire career -- would not sell? I know if I were a casual fan of any band, I would rather buy an album featuring almost all their biggest hits than buying an album that featured only half of them. If anything, I would argue the first best of needed a strong single more than this one does.

Re: 'Clocks' released on a studio album: Yes, but why should that matter?

Piano and falsetto are huge in pop right now. I don't think U2 would have a problem selling that at all. However, I wouldn't mind seeing them stay away from that route, as it's a path already heavily trodden.

Utoo said:
Piano and falsetto are huge in pop right now. I don't think U2 would have a problem selling that at all. However, I wouldn't mind seeing them stay away from that route, as it's a path already heavily trodden.

It's still a new direction for the band.

And they'll probably do it 400 times better than anyone else does it, with the exceptions of course.

if most of their new material resembles the beach clips, fast cars, mercy, and love and peace, i'll be mucho happy.

Yeah, as Edge has said it's even more important to not repeat yourself than to not repeat others.

However, this does make every person who said they had heard it complete liars, for the piano part would have been an important mention for someone who had heard the song.

Sounds like Track 400. Even in raw form sounds pretty good...waiting to see the finished product.

Wow, I think I'm the only one that actually prefers the "Thank You" song to Beach Clip #400 :ohmy: I could see the song having a video something like "Here's to the Night" by Eve 6 :shrug: Oh well, I just hope it's a good tune whatever it is... I like strings :D

Last edited:
Screwtape2 said:

I agree. Their recent work sounds like anything else on radio. U2 is at thier best when radio has a hard time playing them.

not exactly.

War, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, How to Dismantle...

Rasden said:

is a song of Lanois... orrible .. imho :)

I know Lanois performed it on his own originally (I think roy might be right about Bono Co-writing), but the U2 version is far superior in my opinion. The beach clip just needs a litle more work and it has the makings of a great little song.

The Slow Loris said:

Well, just look at 'Clocks' (and more recently 'Speed of Sound') by Coldplay.....a piano song and a HUGE hit! ;)

I think what made 'Beautiful Day' make me think of the Boy/October era was the earnestness combined with the repetitive power chords (which U2 had hardly, if ever, used in the 1990s). And I think I know what you mean now by the "rough and tumble". It's what I thought you meant....you want U2 to kind of let lose....a less polished "pop" sound, and a more spirited, almost strident yet lose, "rock" sound. I think this is what the Killers sort of aimed for on their latest release and what U2 achieved in some part on Zooropa ('Dirty Day', especially live). If this is what you're after, I think you might get your wish with Rick Rubin in the fold.

Ah, now I understand. No forced innocence....just a more loose approach. Again, I agree with that. :)

Haha we both spelled loose wrong once and right once...

I only have one live copy of Dirty Day with me, from Sydney (I'm abroad at the moment, my external with everything is at home) but I just listened to it. I'd say yes, that is some of what I'm aiming for, maybe with a little more Larry (perhaps Saints is a positive indication for me). The guitar sounds really great, especially towards the end. I'm sure I'll love whatever they do, but I've been thinking that maybe my wish is for a less polished album. Not in the way that Pop was less polished, but less smooth, less manicured? If that makes sense. Rough around the edges?

I dunno... i'll probably love whatever they do, I just want to hear it...NOW!!!!!! lol.

Varitek said:

Haha we both spelled loose wrong once and right once...

I only have one live copy of Dirty Day with me, from Sydney (I'm abroad at the moment, my external with everything is at home) but I just listened to it. I'd say yes, that is some of what I'm aiming for, maybe with a little more Larry (perhaps Saints is a positive indication for me). The guitar sounds really great, especially towards the end. I'm sure I'll love whatever they do, but I've been thinking that maybe my wish is for a less polished album. Not in the way that Pop was less polished, but less smooth, less manicured? If that makes sense. Rough around the edges?

I dunno... i'll probably love whatever they do, I just want to hear it...NOW!!!!!! lol.

I know, maybe I'm the one who can't let "loose" with my spelling! Or, look at it another way, if you spell it both ways, you can't "lose"..... :reject:

Terrible, terrible!!

Anyway, I'm with you, and I totally understand what you mean now. I agree, not in the unpolished way of Pop. That's a pretty slick album, actually, despite the "unerproduced" complaints by the band and fans. It could have been even more slick if they had more time. But it doesn't exactly feel "loose" (lose :wink: ), does it? The chord arrangements, the compositions, sound very thought out....and is the first time when I felt U2 started to sound "professional". I too miss the days when they could just go into the studio and bang out some loose (almost did it again!) arrangements. The beach clips actually sound very loose to me, which is why I hope they use them on the next album.

so the loose/lose puns: Maybe they think that if they produce a loose album in this age it will be, popularly, a lose situation.

As for the beach clips, that's exactly it - I would give anything to be tipped off as to when they are gonna be hanging out at a beach house and rehearsing brand-spanking-new material. I don't know much about their new producer but it seems that ever since the Pop era, or maybe earlier (some time post-Joshua Tree) they have been overproduced, or too polished, or whatever. That's why the beach clips sound loose - they had worked on them, but only a little. They're more organic.

This drives me crazy - I'm a Harry Potter fan so I'll make an analogy: JK Rowling said book 6 was her best because she really got into a groove and figured out how to cut out all the unneccessary details - basically it was tighter (not loose :wink:) and more polished. Shorter than 4 and 5. But I liked all the superfluous details and tangents - they made the books more real to me. U2 needs to stop cutting the rough edges out (and so does Rowling). Overproduction = bad.

oh addendum - I think this is why I've really been enjoying listening to b-sides and unreleased songs lately. You mentioned Are You Gonna Wait Forever :drool: in the other thread - what an effortless song, though like I said I'm hungry for some Edge/Larry action. They didn't get as far as going on an album and they are thus more free.

"I think that's going to be our biggest song in a long time. It's a psychedelic pop song with 6/8 timing, you never hear that. It's very, very rare," he says.

Mmm.... :drool: :drool: :drool: :combust:

Varitek said:
so the loose/lose puns: Maybe they think that if they produce a loose album in this age it will be, popularly, a lose situation.

As for the beach clips, that's exactly it - I would give anything to be tipped off as to when they are gonna be hanging out at a beach house and rehearsing brand-spanking-new material. I don't know much about their new producer but it seems that ever since the Pop era, or maybe earlier (some time post-Joshua Tree) they have been overproduced, or too polished, or whatever. That's why the beach clips sound loose - they had worked on them, but only a little. They're more organic.

This drives me crazy - I'm a Harry Potter fan so I'll make an analogy: JK Rowling said book 6 was her best because she really got into a groove and figured out how to cut out all the unneccessary details - basically it was tighter (not loose :wink:) and more polished. Shorter than 4 and 5. But I liked all the superfluous details and tangents - they made the books more real to me. U2 needs to stop cutting the rough edges out (and so does Rowling). Overproduction = bad.
I agree...writers, musicians, film makers.....we all become obsessed with this idea of editing. Everything has to be edited out, "get rid of the fat"...the leaner the better. Well, life isn't like that, and if art imitates life, but sheds the edges, gets rid of the dirt, doesn't it become rather sterile, if not completely vacuous?

I remember Bono in the Unforgettable Fire documentary talking about writing lyrics just as they come out, and how they are at there best when the ink is not yet dry (or something along those lines....forgive me, it's been a while :wink: )....but I think there's a lot of truth in that. Editing can come in handy, but it's such tricky business....the soul has to be kept in tact.

Back
Top Bottom