Article describes new song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
andyuk said:
after reading that article i reckon that WITS is none of the beach clips we have heard!

hmmm....see i think if anything, it confirms that it is beach clip 400, or at least contains parts of beach clip 400.

remember that rolling stone said it was epic U2 on the lines of COBL and 400 does not sound epic U2 to me!

Exciting to hear the writer say the song doesn't sound like anything off of HTDDAB. I love HTDDAB, but am excited and ready for a new sound. And being EPIC is always a plus!!!

When will you leak? :mad:

Yeah, 6/8 is a bit like waltz time.

1-2-3;1-2-3

Instead of most rock songs in 4

Maybe Bono kicks it off with

"uno, dos, trece!"

lmixristhebest said:
Because somebody asked - examples of 6/8 would be Acrobat, Love Rescue Me, Unchained Melody, and Trip through your Wires.

Thanks for this. So it's either something slow like Love rescue me or Unchained melody, or something quicker like Acrobat or Trip through your wires.

Kind of like sped up waltz? Acrobat always reminded me of waltz.

I agree, after reading this - and before, even - I say Windows in the sky is a new song, not a beach clip.

:ohmy: :ohmy:
Remember this?:

Originally posted by onyourkneesboy
But then we also heard a song that sounded rather experimental! It was was hard to figure out wich way the song was going. It was not an uptempo song, but it had some resemblance to the "reverse-played" version of So Cruel of the Axtung Beibi-outtakes or something of UF! Then again I could only heard in flares because the sea was very loud at that time. Otherwise I would have posted it here. I taped it with my camcorder but afterwards there's hardly anything there but the sea, unfortunately...

:ohmy: :ohmy:

That if anything sounds haunting, and it's not any of the beachclips!
So Cruel had piano in it, but not the outtake though.

RademR said:
sounds interesting...like the description he gave.

"It's a psychedelic pop song with 6/8 timing, you never hear that"

Definitely sounds like 400 to me, which is good since it sounds potentially brilliant.

Utoo said:
The other nice thing in this article is to see that Bono recognizes 1). that he's put on weight and needs to work on that, and 2). that he's become a bit "too cool."

It looks like he knows that the Bono of new is not quite as fiery as the Bono of old & that he wants a return. Let's hope it comes out in the lyrics, too.

Wow... that was perhaps one of the rudest things I've read here in a long time - and that even goes beyond all the mini-flames that the moderators nicely extinguish.

Basically, you insulted Bono's weight (apparently his injuries should be ignored - it's more important that Bono looks good to you), that he's "not cool" and that his lyrics aren't up to par.

Gee... if this is what you do to a band you like, I wonder what you do for other people you like. "Hey Merry Christmas, honey! I didn't get you that new coat you wanted as I didn't think it would look good on your bloated body. Instead, here's a Stair-Master. Use it."

:sexywink:

doctorwho said:

Wow... that was perhaps one of the rudest things I've read here in a long time - and that even goes beyond all the mini-flames that the moderators nicely extinguish.

Basically, you insulted Bono's weight (apparently his injuries should be ignored - it's more important that Bono looks good to you), that he's "not cool" and that his lyrics aren't up to par.

Gee... if this is what you do to a band you like, I wonder what you do for other people you like. "Hey Merry Christmas, honey! I didn't get you that new coat you wanted as I didn't think it would look good on your bloated body. Instead, here's a Stair-Master. Use it."

You must think Bono is a frail and sensitive sort...

It is definitely clip 400. He clearly says:

"A bullet to the ground / a window to the skies / the people walking by"

Very Beatle-esque

ya another pop u2 song that will hit the top 40 radio stations, the ATYCLB and HTDAAB haters wont like this tune, have a feeling...but i will, i think its going to be a good tune :drool:

RademR said:
ya another pop u2 song that will hit the top 40 radio stations, the ATYCLB and HTDAAB haters wont like this tune, have a feeling...but i will, i think its going to be a good tune :drool:

Aw don't worry, they hate everything new just because it's not old. The ATYCLB and HTDAAB haters wouldn't like any new U2 music no matter what it sounded like, just because they have a bias. They basically think too hard about the music, rather than just listen and enjoy. Pity, because they've missed out on some great songs. I hope this song makes me feel the same as ATYCLB and HTDAAB did. Such a great feeling when I first heard those 2 albums.

i look forward to it being released not just to hear it but so we can stop the debate over which beach clip it is :drool:

but it sounds like 400 :wink:

i hope they dont wrap the song around in strings

imo too much (many?) strings in a song can make it sound so: corny, fake, and just blah.
but i think if done RIGHT it can add a lot of emotion and feeling to a song.

doctorwho said:

I can't tell if the sexywink means you're joking or not....I'm hoping yes!

As a doctor, I think he needs to work on his weight for health reasons. :D He also needs to quit smoking. (and his weight isn't just from the injury--in the last two tours, he's been skinny at the start and heavier at the end). As a fan, I think he needs to work on his weight because he doesn't move anywhere near the way he used to (and still could, despite age, if he were in shape); plus image-wise, the BD video is much cooler--and as superficial as it is, probably more beneficial to the band's image, too. And he needs to quit smoking because scratchy is nice, but not that nice.

As for me agreeing with him when he says he's become a bit "too cool," I think that's pretty obvious. At times, Bono pretty much seems to have become a cross between a 46-year-old version of the Fly and the career-end Elvis that he's mocked in characters and songs. At other times, he's still the same kick-ass Bono. It'd be nice to get a higher percentage of the latter & lose the former.

As for the lyrics, I love ATYCLB and HTDAAB--a ton. But I wouldn't mind having some more bite in the lyrics once again. I don't need the burnt-out vibe from, say, Pop...but I wouldn't mind some of the bittersweet that made JT & AB so great, or the fire of War.

Essentially, I don't think it'd hurt for U2 to be less media-saturated & perhaps have a bit of a mini-reincarnation, perhaps starting with the B. And from a few of his lines in that article, it looks like he has an inkling of the same feeling.

Last edited:
Varitek said:
I am 100% sure that 400 is in 6/8. I can also here the "psychadelic pop" in there.

Someone agree with me :wink:

Though u don't exactely hear lot of drums to help u figure out what the timing is , but it's certainly sounds like it

The_acrobat said:

Aw don't worry, they hate everything new just because it's not old. The ATYCLB and HTDAAB haters wouldn't like any new U2 music no matter what it sounded like, just because they have a bias. They basically think too hard about the music, rather than just listen and enjoy. Pity, because they've missed out on some great songs. I hope this song makes me feel the same as ATYCLB and HTDAAB did. Such a great feeling when I first heard those 2 albums.

Couldn't agree more , This is basically what I've been writin and sayin since I got here , begin of year

And about 400 , curious , I love Leave Behind and Bomb , but have no problem in loving it already .........

Just as said in other topic

J_NP said:

Talk about it

Whole new like melody for u2 , and that thing really touched me and made me feel good

Just goin

"Oh can't u see" Brings back lots of memories from that great great great , vacation time

Last edited:
From all the beach clips, i found i liked 400 the most... something about the falsetto always gets me (lemon is one of my favorite songs), and i thought it had a pretty good melody... for some reason im thinking that couldve been "Love is All We Have Left" (Bono could've changed the lyrics) the Broadway Frank Sinatra tune Bono said he wrote...although i don't think Frank ever used a falsetto and ive only listened to about 8 Frank Sinatra songs. And I've never listened to broadway... lol

To anyone who does know Frank Sinatra songs...you think 400 could've been Love is All We Have Left?...Or am I just thinking too much about it?

Back
Top Bottom