Are the guys closer to finishing than we think ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
From PLEBA forum: In the video posted in the Dublin U23D Premiere thread, Edge said - when asked about how the album is going - 'we haven't decided which songs are going to make the album'.

Same thread, Sam (the drum tech) said they're finishing the album, and he mentioned a tour next year.

From what i can gather from the irishteen clips is no, it doesnt sound too complete but i'd say oct/nov is a possibility.

There's a clip from the U23d premiere in dublin on U2Valencia site, with the mentioned Edge quote. He also said they're determined to make a groundbreaking rock and roll album.

They also said HTDAAB would be a back to basic rock and roll album and that wasnt totally true either :(

vaz02 said:
From what i can gather from the irishteen clips is no, it doesnt sound too complete but i'd say oct/nov is a possibility.

But that just sounded like Edge getting some tones together, probably for some overdubs. I wouldn't let that be the barometer for the finished product.

shaun vox said:
there is nothing rocknroll about htdaab or atyclb.
if you think vertigo is rock then you need help.

If you think dressing up like Bono and recording yourself sing Sometimes is rock then you need help.

vaz02 said:
They also said HTDAAB would be a back to basic rock and roll album and that wasnt totally true either :(

That was before Lillywhite was called in though.

You can say that Vertigo is not a good song, but to deny it's a rock song is to deny Beehtoven was classical.

In days of beehtoven im sure his music wasnt called classical either.

A friend of mine who works at universal has told me that some of the songs are complete and some are not. The band is trying to decide which ones to concentrate on so they can move forward with the new album. There will be a new album, right now projected for October. Bands have to give the record companies updates to their new albums so record companies can begin projecting financial gains, loses for the upcoming year. A lot of business, monetary mumbo jumbo, but a necessity. The problem the band is having is that THERE ARE more than 30 potential songs they came up with in the last two years they have to begin dissecting and going forward with. Some are finished but like we all know they're never finished until they make the album. My source is pretty reliable. I've used his info before on this forum and he's always been right. So expect more snippet links from their sessions if we keep getting people there at hanover quay! Wahoo!

artdirector said:
A friend of mine who works at universal has told me that some of the songs are complete and some are not. The band is trying to decide which ones to concentrate on so they can move forward with the new album. There will be a new album, right now projected for October. Bands have to give the record companies updates to their new albums so record companies can begin projecting financial gains, loses for the upcoming year. A lot of business, monetary mumbo jumbo, but a necessity. The problem the band is having is that THERE ARE more than 30 potential songs they came up with in the last two years they have to begin dissecting and going forward with. Some are finished but like we all know they're never finished until they make the album. My source is pretty reliable. I've used his info before on this forum and he's always been right. So expect more snippet links from their sessions if we keep getting people there at hanover quay! Wahoo!

very cool and important info! Thanks!! :D

look forward to more leaks...:wink: :yippie:

artdirector said:

:drool:

I really hope that some day (soon) we get to hear the stuff that didn't make the album. And I hope they put the good stuff on unlike HTDAAB.

Wow, thank you for this info!

30 songs? :shocked:

Can you say: Double album?

Good to hear that the release is still planned for October.

Good to hear some of those 30 songs are finished and just about ready for the album. But the difference between a good album and a great one will be whether or not the songs hold together as an album (like those on JT or AB did), rather than just a collection of songs (like those on ATYCLB).

When Adam said they were lacking a few songs of a certain quality a while ago I thought that the danger could be that they just stuck in filler songs in order to get the album out in time (i.e., by October/November). Thus resulting in an almost-great album but with a few fillers (like Wild Honey, Crumbs for example) that water down the initial hopes for something amazing.

misterboo said:
Thus resulting in an almost-great album but with a few fillers (like Wild Honey, Crumbs for example) that water down the initial hopes for something amazing.

Some people really like Wild Honey and Crumbs, though.

Some people are wrong.

Wild Honey is throwaway, a good b-side that never should have been on an album. Like Slow Dancing.

Crumbs is better in concept than in execution, but it does rock. Plus Bono does sell it hard, belts out that last chorus, and adds that "hey!" at the end for punctuation. The melody on the verses is a little awkward, but perfection isn't what I expect at this stage.

lazarus said:
Some people are wrong.

Wild Honey is throwaway, a good b-side that never should have been on an album. Like Slow Dancing.

Crumbs is better in concept than in execution, but it does rock. Plus Bono does sell it hard, belts out that last chorus, and adds that "hey!" at the end for punctuation. The melody on the verses is a little awkward, but perfection isn't what I expect at this stage.

I think you're wrong

I think Crumbs could have been a good to very good U2 song. There are just a few too many goofball lyrics and a few too many layers of production which take away from the song.

For the record, I like Wild Honey for its simplicity. No, it's not a U2 album-worthy track in comparison to pre-Zooropa releases, but when you look at what kind of tracks made Zooropa it's not a stretch to count Honey as a passable album-worthy effort.

~

The number of songs U2 had before going into the studio is no indication of how many will go on an album. Bands can go into the studio with 30 or 40 songs and come out with 8. It's about quality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom