Are the guys closer to finishing than we think ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
keep dreaming for a double album.

a logical scenario is a few actual legitimate b-sides to the singles instead of covers or live recordings or the chris brown , kanye west and trent reznor remix of slug.

perhaps a longer album as well, maybe 13 songs? at VERY best. that is being an extreme optimist.

misterboo said:
Thus resulting in an almost-great album but with a few fillers (like Wild Honey, Crumbs for example) that water down the initial hopes for something amazing.

Wild honey may be weaker than the songs that precede it but it works on a pop album such as ATYCLB, plus it's a good companion to IALW. The real weakest link is Elevation.

With A man and woman around, Crumbs is filler ? :hmm:

The HTDAAB-sessions produced 25 songs, if i remember correctly, so 30 songs really isn't that much. Hopefully they just choose the best and most 'innovative' songs, and not make it a double album. And like almost every U2 album, the new album will contain 10-12 songs.

Last edited:
ZOOTVTOURist said:
No, they are much more AWAY from finishing than we think ...:huh:

I don't think so. Already in 2006 there were 4 songs almost finished, one of them becoming Window in the Skies. So i think they must at least have about 15 almost finished songs.

When someone meets the band, they need to bring up the fact that as fans, we would rather hear 2 or 3 original b-sides on the singles rather than the endless remixes we had on Vertigo. Not that they were all bad, but, come on, I had a hey day picking up all the ATYCLB singles (as well as some of the Achtung ones) just for the original B-sides. Remixes are okay, but, they barely sell it for me.

Oh man, whoever meets the band should make a looooong list of stuff that fans demand. Maybe they'll break up and never finish the album as a result. I feel sorry for the guys. :huh:

last unicorn said:
Oh man, whoever meets the band should make a looooong list of stuff that fans demand. Maybe they'll break up and never finish the album as a result. I feel sorry for the guys. :huh:

I generally feel sorry for multimillionairs, too. Life is rough when you know you could buy a tropical island to live the rest of your life on with a staff of 400 women waiting to meet your.every.demand.

the tourist said:

I generally feel sorry for multimillionairs, too. Life is rough when you know you could buy a tropical island to live the rest of your life on with a staff of 400 women waiting to meet your.every.demand.

That's almost too pathetic to respond too..
But I did anyway.. :huh:

Not much of a financial point in producing b-sides. As much as I loved the JT heyday of great extra material, I don't think it's something they are going to return to. The market has changed too much. I mean, what is a "single" anymore anyway? And if they have something of quality, they are not going to squander it on the romantic ideal of replicating the great 45's or EP's of the past.

The band will continue to hoard material for the next project. It's just a reality.

Get ready for remixes and live stuff. Again.

I'd be okay with remixes if they were at least interesting. Like if the Vertigo single had the Banjo-Vertigo version instead of three similar sounding remixes, I'd be good with that.

eventide said:
Hi a friend of mine was lucky enough to be at hanover quay yesterday and he met Dallas Shoo who told him that The Edge was taking custody of a brand new ac-30 that very day, strange for a guitarist that uses mainly vintage amps.
I wonder what new toys he has used for the recording of the new album anyone know????

He also met Bono and has confirmed that the album is almost complete and that u2 will begin an 18 months world tour next year!!!!

found that in EBTTRT

EdgeIsTooSexy said:

found that in EBTTRT

:hmm:

Interesting...I think the boys will use the following months to clean up the tracks they have finished and either work on existing riffs/snippets or create all new songs to close out the album...maybe the 30 songs will = a galore of original B-sides...:yippie:...but probably not...:sigh:

No. It's still the Bongolese era at Hanover Quay.
Fall 2008.
They'll record until Summer. June-July-August.

Think about all this effort in the studio and what it produced over the last 9 years. Maybe 40 finished songs? Almost 4 years in the studio, altogether. You'd have to take a couple of those 40 to add towards this new figure of '30' to start making the reach.

Now here, we have, HTDAAB leftovers, a session at AbbeyRoad, sessions in Eze, session in Morrocco, and I'm supposed to believe they have 30 songs near finished? Nah. It's much easier to think they've got 30 pretty damn good starts, a few maybe in the can but lots of work to do. Are they closer to finishing than we think?
I'll defer to Paul McGuiness and (was it Bono?) who said Fall 2008 (perhaps specifically October).

If they have a mentality for a Fall release as most of us believe, err....as they said, then why on Earth would they rush to hammer out these 30 ideas just so they could hold onto it for almost 6 months? Makes no sense.

I think they are going to record comfortably until the Summer. In fact, I'd bet they have a self-imposed deadline to finish for their target release and are in no hurry to rush it anytime before then. That deadline would likely be no later than July or August. Comfortably, 6 months of hard nosed recording.

Well, it's not like they spent the last four years in a recording studio. They were on tour most of the time and just got back to serious recording last year, maybe with some in-between stuff in Eze in summer 2006. I do, however, believe that they are getting ready for a fall (october/november) release in 2008. I guess the procedure will include going back to Eze for the summer months to finish of the recordings, decide on which tracks will make the cut, doing some photoshoots for the album and not to forget: lose a demo tape. :wink:

Originally posted by eventide

"Hi a friend of mine was lucky enough to be at hanover quay yesterday and he met Dallas Shoo who told him that The Edge was taking custody of a brand new ac-30 that very day, strange for a guitarist that uses mainly vintage amps.
I wonder what new toys he has used for the recording of the new album anyone know????

He also met Bono and has confirmed that the album is almost complete and that u2 will begin an 18 months world tour next year!!!! "

While I have no reason to cast aspersions on what's said, or doubt the honesty of the poster, wouldn't it be nice if such statements actually came straight from the horse's mouth - as it were - rather than 'a friend of mine said this' etc? While everything that Bono says should obviously be taken with a pinch of salt, it's hard to imagine him being so free and easy. Maybe he was having a good day?

lazarus said:
Some people are wrong.

Wild Honey is throwaway, a good b-side that never should have been on an album. Like Slow Dancing.

Crumbs is better in concept than in execution, but it does rock. Plus Bono does sell it hard, belts out that last chorus, and adds that "hey!" at the end for punctuation. The melody on the verses is a little awkward, but perfection isn't what I expect at this stage.

I thnk you're wrong. I like Wild Honey. Much more than Stuck...

Back
Top Bottom