Anyone notice the guitar riff to NLOTH (the song)... - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #76
The Fly
 
walkon274's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 181
Local Time: 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
If you hear recycled sounds and other songs, thats your own issue. Noone else hears them (or very few do) and it seems the ones that do are the ones with a history for being whingers about modern U2. If you can't accept that you have an inherent bias in your posts you are seriously deluding yourself.

I have an inherent bias in my posts. That bias is I like U2. On a U2 fan forum, I believe that is acceptible.
You can be a U2 fan and still call a spade a spade brother. Most people I know have told me they've never met someone so engrossed in a band like I am with U2. However, I don't just accept anything they put out as religious and cannot objectively dislike. Taking melodies that have already been written on such a widescale is something I have never seen U2 do like they have with GOYB, WAS, and to a lesser extent Crazy. It's just downright laziness. It's like the whole CD cover, how could they not have known someone else used the same damn picture? All they had to do was ask the artist if he ever gave a license to someone else. I dunno man, others feel the way I do.

Again, Magnificent is better than anything Coldplay has done save for Clocks. I'll fight anyone in a bar on that point. However, I honestly think they're running out of melodies and ideas, it happens to every band sooner or later.
__________________

__________________
walkon274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #77
The Fly
 
walkon274's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 181
Local Time: 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=purpleoscar;5959168]If you want to fight back why not show people who steal from U2?

The big difference is that none of these songs took an EXACT key set of notes, chords, riffs, or melodies from U2.
__________________

__________________
walkon274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #78
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,239
Local Time: 12:33 PM
you guys should listen to the ramones. they used some simillar riffs on certain songs. and ac/dc did it bit too. lol.
__________________
allbecauseofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #79
The Fly
 
walkon274's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 181
Local Time: 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
you guys should listen to the ramones. they used some simillar riffs on certain songs. and ac/dc did it bit too. lol.
AC/DC has written the same song over and over for 30 years. That's why to most people they are a "bar band" or band you listen to when you lift weights. Good power riffs but there is no depth or beautiful creativity. LOL
__________________
walkon274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #80
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 12,632
Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkon274 View Post
You can be a U2 fan and still call a spade a spade brother. Most people I know have told me they've never met someone so engrossed in a band like I am with U2. However, I don't just accept anything they put out as religious and cannot objectively dislike. Taking melodies that have already been written on such a widescale is something I have never seen U2 do like they have with GOYB, WAS, and to a lesser extent Crazy. It's just downright laziness. It's like the whole CD cover, who could they not have known someone else used the same damn picture? All they had to do was ask the artist if he ever gave a license to someone else. I dunno man, other feel the way I do.

Again, Magnificent is better than anything Coldplay has done save for Clocks. I'll fight anyone in a bar on that point. However, I honestly think they're running out of melodies and ideas, it happens to every band sooner or later.
I can;t begin to say how premature that statement is. Run out of melodies and ideas? apart from the fact they have another album finished and being released later this year or early next year? That's just silly.

You don't like similarities between other artists, cool, I get that. But launching an all out assault on a band you claim to love by branding them unimaginative and lazy is in itself a lazy observation. You need to look past the superficial exterior of a simple similarity and notice that there is bucketloads more going on. The percussion in GOYB is something noone has ever heard before. The riff, and silken melding between edge and adam is peerless in u2's catalogue, WAS's meaning is enhanced enourmously by the fact that it uses that melody when you look at the story contained within it.

Superficially it may seem lazy, but it is our job as fans of U2 to give them the opportunity to explain these things to us, to look further into why it has happened, or how it really is different.

I think it is also a very bitter pill to swallow to see so many people claiming to be avid fans complaining about them at this stage in their career/lives. Their longevity and relevance is peerless. They have untold riches from their music. They are nearly 50. They owe you, me or anybody nothing. Anything we hear from them now is a bonus to me, and I for one am immeasureably grateful for that. I don't feel that it is my right to hear their music anymore. It is most definately a priveledge, and an honour. The impetuous nature of fans in the fast-food generation astounds me.
__________________
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,381
Local Time: 05:33 AM
There were also bands competing for a similar sound during the early U2 period:

YouTube - simple minds waterfront

YouTube - The Alarm - Rain in the Summertime

YouTube - The Clash - Straight To Hell

YouTube - Television - Marquee Moon

The Unknown Caller solo reminds me of The Television's Torn Curtain
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,381
Local Time: 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkon274 View Post

The big difference is that none of these songs took an EXACT key set of notes, chords, riffs, or melodies from U2.
No they just copied the approach and delay that sounds like Edge. Also it's not the exact notes because Journey goes in other directions than the U2 song.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #83
The Fly
 
bdogm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: High on a Desert Plain
Posts: 55
Local Time: 06:33 AM
And then there's Interpol, Our Love to Admire:

Track 1
YouTube - interpol - pioneer to the falls

Track 6
YouTube - Pace is the trick - Interpol

and the Editors, An End Has a Start:

Track 2
YouTube - E D I T O R S - An end has a start (music video)

Track 4
YouTube - Editors - Bones (official)

And the even more absurd and offensive Track 9
YouTube - Editors - Spiders

I've decided to stop listening to all music because face it, I've hear the notes A-G enough already.
__________________
bdogm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #84
The Fly
 
walkon274's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 181
Local Time: 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
I can;t begin to say how premature that statement is. Run out of melodies and ideas? apart from the fact they have another album finished and being released later this year or early next year? That's just silly.

You don't like similarities between other artists, cool, I get that. But launching an all out assault on a band you claim to love by branding them unimaginative and lazy is in itself a lazy observation. You need to look past the superficial exterior of a simple similarity and notice that there is bucketloads more going on. The percussion in GOYB is something noone has ever heard before. The riff, and silken melding between edge and adam is peerless in u2's catalogue, WAS's meaning is enhanced enourmously by the fact that it uses that melody when you look at the story contained within it.

Superficially it may seem lazy, but it is our job as fans of U2 to give them the opportunity to explain these things to us, to look further into why it has happened, or how it really is different.

I think it is also a very bitter pill to swallow to see so many people claiming to be avid fans complaining about them at this stage in their career/lives. Their longevity and relevance is peerless. They have untold riches from their music. They are nearly 50. They owe you, me or anybody nothing. Anything we hear from them now is a bonus to me, and I for one am immeasureably grateful for that. I don't feel that it is my right to hear their music anymore. It is most definately a priveledge, and an honour. The impetuous nature of fans in the fast-food generation astounds me.
I'll call it down the line, you actually just had a half-way decent post. I don't necessarily agree with everything you just stated, but at least it wasn't the normal throwing eggs thing.

I just don't think it's my "job" to have them explain anything to me, or to accept what they throw out. If I don't like it, I don't like it. I don't act like I have some privilege or right for U2 music. I did, however, rightfully pay them money to purchase their CD, and as a consumer, if I think it was not worth my money, I'm allowed to think that. My payments to them are one of the reasons they have the untold riches you so fondly speak of.

I do agree with you, anything we hear from them is a bonus now, no doubt. However, I just think there comes a time where you either put something original out or you HANG IT UP and quit trying to hype yourself up to make as much money as you can. Some of the comments coming out of the U2 camp leading up to this album are downright absurd after listening to the album. That's what I have a problem with when you couple it with songs that have melodies they either unconsciously or consciously lifted.

Evening.
__________________
walkon274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:20 AM   #85
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,521
Local Time: 06:33 AM
Well the Emmanuel melody was purposely used, and acknowledged. This is something many writers have done.

As far as all the others, some I can see where you think they are the same and others I think you might be high.

But I have to wonder what else you listen to, because if you use these very loose defintions to define "ripping off" I can show you a thousand other instances that are even more legit...

I have to wonder if you listen to a lot of other music... For if we counted every time someone may have used the same two chords in a row and maybe even a similar guitar tone as ripping off then everyone would be sued. That's all your Journey theory is, two chords making a similar climb with a similar drumbeat behind it(I went and listened for it and I can see where an untrained ear can think what you are thinking) but the thing is there not even the same chords it's just the climb that sound similar.

It's great if you want to be really picky about music, that's cool, but being picking about things that you really don't know about seems odd...

Just my $.02
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #86
The Fly
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 39
Local Time: 04:33 AM
There are what, seven basic notes in music? How many different ways can they be used? It's inevitable that you'll find similarities, so what's the problem?

I think Walkon274, you are splitting hairs to split hairs. Or you're a troll, which ever comes first.

And if true originality is your standard, then you should go ahead and give up listening to music, because you won't find it. It's never existed and never will. Throw out Dylan (a famous music thief), The Beatles, The Stones, and just about every other band that's ever written a song.

Get over it and move on.
__________________
ny_atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
zwervers2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 4,158
Local Time: 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
is just a slight variation of the Ultraviolet Rays riff?
Ir reminds me of a dead fly on the wall.
Realy like the voals on this song bu the guitar is pretty underwhelming, it still rocks. funny song actually lol
__________________
zwervers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #88
Refugee
 
hasin73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangladesh.
Posts: 1,216
Local Time: 06:33 PM
If U2 are sampling from U2, why bother? After all.....

U2 is the best. There is nothing wrong sampling from the best.
__________________
hasin73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #89
New Yorker
 
PowerSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: somewhere up in the ether
Posts: 2,942
Local Time: 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkon274 View Post
I'll call it down the line, you actually just had a half-way decent post. I don't necessarily agree with everything you just stated, but at least it wasn't the normal throwing eggs thing.

I just don't think it's my "job" to have them explain anything to me, or to accept what they throw out. If I don't like it, I don't like it. I don't act like I have some privilege or right for U2 music. I did, however, rightfully pay them money to purchase their CD, and as a consumer, if I think it was not worth my money, I'm allowed to think that. My payments to them are one of the reasons they have the untold riches you so fondly speak of.

I do agree with you, anything we hear from them is a bonus now, no doubt. However, I just think there comes a time where you either put something original out or you HANG IT UP and quit trying to hype yourself up to make as much money as you can. Some of the comments coming out of the U2 camp leading up to this album are downright absurd after listening to the album. That's what I have a problem with when you couple it with songs that have melodies they either unconsciously or consciously lifted.

Evening.
I have to be honest.

I find your argument annoyingly pretentious and forced

You're all over the place. First your talking about how they are repeating themselves, then you state why you don't like the songs, then you state over and over again that its your right to state an opinion about the band because every asshole has an opinion (or something like that)

Whats the real deal here?

Is it really about "blatantly ripping themselves off"????

or is it really the simple fact that you just don't like the new songs, and you are using a weak argument like "the band is ripping themselves off" to try to convince everyone to feel the same way you do but you realize that its not working because all of the solid evidence we provided totally refutes your claim so you're back peddling by saying its just "your opinion".

did I hit it on the head?

yeeeah. that's what I thought.

Again, opinions are great, but when you write posts as if they are facts then it becomes less about opinions. That's the problem here. I'm all for opinions, but not when they are trying to be passed as fact.
__________________

__________________
PowerSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nloth, nloth song, no line on the horizon

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com