Anyone notice the guitar riff to NLOTH (the song)... - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #61
War Child

Local Time: 02:13 PM
nloth is my fav song on the album and i picked up on the fly vibe immediately which is great because i love the fly. maybe the similarity is intentional as maybe a transition from ab to nloth? as for ripping off and repeating can you believe they repeated themselves on fez with goyb's "let me in the sound"? the nerve from those unoriginal bastards!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #62
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseggleton View Post
as for ripping off and repeating can you believe they repeated themselves on fez with goyb's "let me in the sound"? the nerve from those unoriginal bastards!

unoriginal over repeating fucks!!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #63
The Fly

doesnt remind me of anything. except maybe massive attack
Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

i wish U2 would stop sounding like U2!!!!111
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #65
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSurge View Post

unoriginal over repeating fucks!!!!
i forgot to mention all of the "oh oh oh's" they keep ripping off
Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:13 AM
^ PS is right. I mean, look at Monet.

All the nympheas paintings are rip-off's of his own work!!! Same with the foot-bridge series!!!

You know what else... That one painting that's called Footbridge over a pond of nympheas... HOLY FUCK, HE DID IT TWICE IN ONE PAINTING!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #67
The Fly

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Look, the point of many people in noting this stuff is that the one thing U2 was excellent for was bringing new stuff to the table every time. Unfortunately, almost anyone with an objective opinion will note that they've repeated themselves in some areas recently. I personally think "Magnificent" and "Breathe" are two of the most outstanding songs I've heard from anybody in a very long time. Note also, though, these songs are entirely original and have a vibe to them.

However, how I personally, and note I say personally, feel about almost the rest of the album is as follows:

1. I do not get NLOTH. The riff ruins the legitimacy of the song for me, sorry. It's like they had no idea for a guitar part so they dialed up The Fly/Ultraviolet/Lady with the Spinning head sessions and decided to recycle the same guitar. It's seems lazy and unoriginal to me. If you disagree with me fine, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

2. Unknown Caller - Again, pull the old "Walk On" guitar rabbit out of the hat. It's a good song, but the lack of uniqueness with that guitar is something U2 never really was guilty of until now. It's like the Edge goes to it now instead of trying new stuff.

3. Crazy - If you cannot here "Faithfully" by Journey or Tina Turner, you're just in denial. It's there and many people and writers have noticed it, we're not crazy (no pun intended).

4. White as Snow - this song was lifted from "Oh come oh come Emmanuel" for those of you who are Catholic you should be familiar with it. It's actually pretty annoying and again shows laziness.

5. GOYB - This song is totally ripped from Escape Club and Costello. Again, you're in denial if you cannot hear the rip.

The oddest thing is, U2 can still write good songs, but most of the time they leave them off of albums or warp them until they don't sound right, or throw in the same old bells and whistles.

Ultimately, this album has about 3 or 4 legit songs, the rest is borderline rubbish to me.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkon274 View Post
Look, the point of many people in noting this stuff is that the one thing U2 was excellent for was bringing new stuff to the table every time. Unfortunately, almost anyone with an objective opinion will note that they've repeated themselves in some areas recently. I personally think "Magnificent" and "Breathe" are two of the most outstanding songs I've heard from anybody in a very long time. Note also, though, these songs are entirely original and have a vibe to them.

However, how I personally, and note I say personally, feel about almost the rest of the album is as follows:

1. I do not get NLOTH. The riff ruins the legitimacy of the song for me, sorry. It's like they had no idea for a guitar part so they dialed up The Fly/Ultraviolet/Lady with the Spinning head sessions and decided to recycle the same guitar. It's seems lazy and unoriginal to me. If you disagree with me fine, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

2. Unknown Caller - Again, pull the old "Walk On" guitar rabbit out of the hat. It's a good song, but the lack of uniqueness with that guitar is something U2 never really was guilty of until now. It's like the Edge goes to it now instead of trying new stuff.

3. Crazy - If you cannot here "Faithfully" by Journey or Tina Turner, you're just in denial. It's there and many people and writers have noticed it, we're not crazy (no pun intended).

4. White as Snow - this song was lifted from "Oh come oh come Emmanuel" for those of you who are Catholic you should be familiar with it. It's actually pretty annoying and again shows laziness.

5. GOYB - This song is totally ripped from Escape Club and Costello. Again, you're in denial if you cannot hear the rip.

The oddest thing is, U2 can still write good songs, but most of the time they leave them off of albums or warp them until they don't sound right, or throw in the same old bells and whistles.

Ultimately, this album has about 3 or 4 legit songs, the rest is borderline rubbish to me.
These are my OPINIONS of your OPINIONS.

1. The riffs are not identical. I actually tabbed the riffs a few pages ago to show the differences. Refer to that post.

2. Again, the riffs are not identical. They are SIMILAR, but not IDENTICAL. My opinion is that you have trouble differentiating between these two words.

3. There is NO Tina Turner in CT. None. I don;t know the journey song, but if you can honestly hear Tina Turner in that song, you may need a few cotton swaps.

4. They have acknowledged they used the melody. It would show liziness if they didn't have other songs that could replace it. They used it to actually enhance the meaning of the song. There is a difference between pilfering and homage. Again though, I would hate to get into ANOTHER arguement with you regarding your interpretations of different words.

5. I will use my aforementioned points. There are similarities, hey Don't look Back in Anger has the same intro as Imagine, but it's still a great song. Because pieces of songs creep into other ones as INSPIRATION does not imply lack of CARE, CONSIDERATION, or ORIGINAL THOUGHT.

If you genuinely want to use these arguements, you are supporting the wrong band. They have always recycled their own sounds, themes and sometimes, yes, riffs (although not in NLOTH).

Oh, helpful link for you too... Dictionary.com
Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #69
War Child

fair enough............the nice thing for me not having any musical likings other than radiohead, u2, rem, is that i will never hear the similaritites that these people speak of.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #70
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
These are my OPINIONS of your OPINIONS.

1. The riffs are not identical. I actually tabbed the riffs a few pages ago to show the differences. Refer to that post.

2. Again, the riffs are not identical. They are SIMILAR, but not IDENTICAL. My opinion is that you have trouble differentiating between these two words.

3. There is NO Tina Turner in CT. None. I don;t know the journey song, but if you can honestly hear Tina Turner in that song, you may need a few cotton swaps.

4. They have acknowledged they used the melody. It would show liziness if they didn't have other songs that could replace it. They used it to actually enhance the meaning of the song. There is a difference between pilfering and homage. Again though, I would hate to get into ANOTHER arguement with you regarding your interpretations of different words.

5. I will use my aforementioned points. There are similarities, hey Don't look Back in Anger has the same intro as Imagine, but it's still a great song. Because pieces of songs creep into other ones as INSPIRATION does not imply lack of CARE, CONSIDERATION, or ORIGINAL THOUGHT.

If you genuinely want to use these arguements, you are supporting the wrong band. They have always recycled their own sounds, themes and sometimes, yes, riffs (although not in NLOTH).

Oh, helpful link for you too... Dictionary.com

Funny you should direct me to the dictionary because your spelling is absolutely atrocious. There is a difference between similarities and downright lifting. I thought U2 was a little better than that.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #71
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseggleton View Post
fair enough............the nice thing for me not having any musical likings other than radiohead, u2, rem, is that i will never hear the similaritites that these people speak of.
Crazy tonight: youtube "Faithfully" by Journey.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Funny you should direct me to the dictionary because your spelling is absolutely atrocious. There is a difference between similarities and downright lifting. I thought U2 was a little better than that.
Hmm, explains a lot if that's what you think the primary function of a dictionary is.

I made some typos, solid argument in the 'U2 stole a riff' discussion. Congrats, you have made the most defunct point ever.

There is a difference between similarities and stealing, you are right. Unfortunately, what you fail to recognise is that a) they are not STEALING. I have explained to you that the riffs that sound similar to their own songs are different, no matter that they SOUND the same.
b) Any comparisons to other artists is totally subjective and dependant on what your brain wants to interpret it as. Jay-Z may remind me of janis Joplin for all anyone knows or cares, doesn't mean they are the same
c) When something is borrowed to convey meaning or enhance quality, it is not stealing, it is homage. Especially when it is recognised as in WAS
Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #73
The Fly

Quote:
Hmm, explains a lot if that's what you think the primary function of a dictionary is.

I made some typos, solid argument in the 'U2 stole a riff' discussion. Congrats, you have made the most defunct point ever.

There is a difference between similarities and stealing, you are right. Unfortunately, what you fail to recognise is that a) they are not STEALING. I have explained to you that the riffs that sound similar to their own songs are different, no matter that they SOUND the same.
b) Any comparisons to other artists is totally subjective and dependant on what your brain wants to interpret it as. Jay-Z may remind me of janis Joplin for all anyone knows or cares, doesn't mean they are the same
c) When something is borrowed to convey meaning or enhance quality, it is not stealing, it is homage. Especially when it is recognised as in WAS
Look bro, you can rationalize it however you want to. I'm giving you my honest opinion, opinions are like assholes, everyone got one. "Magnificent", "Breathe", "Fez being born", and "Moment of Surrender" are the only songs on this album worth a lick. Fez is a notch down b/c again, they recycle the same guitar, but I can get by it on that song b/c there's enough creativity going on.

The rest of the songs have WAAAAAAAAAY too much recycling and samples to legitimately respect I'm sorry. If Crazy sounds different live on Letterman and the fecking Journey sample I keep hearing isn't so pronounced, maybe I'll let it slide on that song.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Look bro, you can rationalize it however you want to. I'm giving you my honest opinion, opinions are like assholes, everyone got one. "Magnificent", "Breathe", "Fez being born", and "Moment of Surrender" are the only songs on this album worth a lick. Fez is a notch down b/c again, they recycle the same guitar, but I can get by it on that song b/c there's enough creativity going on.

The rest of the songs have WAAAAAAAAAY too much recycling and samples to legitimately respect I'm sorry. If Crazy sounds different live on Letterman and the fecking Journey sample I keep hearing isn't so pronounced, maybe I'll let it slide on that song.
If you hear recycled sounds and other songs, thats your own issue. Noone else hears them (or very few do) and it seems the ones that do are the ones with a history for being whingers about modern U2. If you can't accept that you have an inherent bias in your posts you are seriously deluding yourself.

I have an inherent bias in my posts. That bias is I like U2. On a U2 fan forum, I believe that is acceptible.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:

If you want to fight back why not show people who steal from U2?

Stuff that sounds like The Edge:

YouTube - Angels & Airwaves -- The Adventure

Vidéo "Prince: Guitar" de zflo (Musique > Rock / Pop) - wat.tv

Tags
nloth, nloth song, no line on the horizon