Any word from Danger Mouse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfu2doc

The Fly
I've not seen any commentary from Danger Mouse this past week....

I recall that he had a veiled slightly negative comment on U2 when interviewed around the time Tedder and Eppworth were added. Something like "I have no idea what is going on with U2"

Anyone else think there are ill feelings there between he and the band?

I tend to like the songs he produced on SOI and wonder what they might have sounded like before Tedder and Epworth took the production duties and changed them

LOL...good question actually. Especially considering a good number of reviews are commenting that his "half" of the record is the better one. I'm sure the band, ever sensitive to what the critics say, have noted this as well.

I really want to hear from Eno & Lanois also. At this point I think their silence is probably a little revealing on how they feel...though I'm sure at some point they'll say something and be diplomatic about it (much as McCormick was, if you read between the lines in his review).

I really want to hear from Eno & Lanois also. At this point I think their silence is probably a little revealing on how they feel...though I'm sure at some point they'll say something and be diplomatic about it (much as McCormick was, if you read between the lines in his review).

How do you think Eno & Lanois feel about this then?
And the past few days I've read so many commentaries about the new album that I can't quite recall what McCormick said. So what did he say? :)

I do recall an interview with Lanois from last year where he commented a bit on the whole process of making a U2 record. GG-winner Daniel Lanois talks U2, Peter Gabriel – and hockey - The Globe and Mail

Some choice quotes:
It’s part of the business, but how do you feel about Danger Mouse producing this album, and you not being involved this time around?

I’m actually glad that I’m not making this record with them. I don’t think I’d survive the experiment. It’s hard work. It’s two years, and it will be a character-building experience for Danger Mouse. You really have to be physically fit to make a U2 record. But, really, they’re all hard. All records are hard to make.

And this is from an interview with Rolling Stone, also last year.
Daniel Lanois Discussing New Projects With Pharrell and Robert Plant | Rolling Stone
"Lucky for me, for my health, I’m not doing the new U2 record," he said with a laugh. "They’re hard to do. I don’t know how to say it. They expect a lot and want a lot and should get a lot. Sometimes it means you gotta sit in the chair for two years, as I’ve done. I’m glad Danger Mouse is doing it and not me. I’ll have a whisky with Danger Mouse in about a year’s time and we can tell some old war stories."

I'm interested in reading about his thoughts on the album. I wonder if he is sour that the band brought in others.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

He must be sour but I hope he likes the fact that many of us want to hear his other album tracks (and will gladly pay for them) :love:

Brian Eno doesn't like guitar rock... I would assume he could care less.

I would be sad if Danger Mouse and U2 had a falling out because he seems to have reinvigorated the band by the sounds of Songs of Innocence. He could also be sick of having to deal with U2 for four years.

Well I have no idea, that's why I'd like to hear from them.

And who knows how much the record has changed since the last time Lanois heard it. Again, I just think it would be interesting to hear what they have to say about it now that it's out, as I have a great deal of respect for both of them.

I got the feeling that Danger Mouse's work is present on ALL songs. All the things Epworth and others did is possibly polish a few songs - that Danger Mouse already did - to make them slightly more pleasing to radio. And if my assessment is true, then good job everyone!

There are no "Crazy Tonights" on this album - desperate attempts to make a Top 40 song that is really just terrible. The slight polishing of "Miracle" or EBW makes the song a bit more poppy, which may give U2 another hit (well, at least something that lasts more than one week in the Top 40, like GOYB).

If U2 still fail to have a hit, then at this point, they should stop trying to get one. If one occurs on any future release, great, but just release albums that they like.

There are no "Crazy Tonights" on this album - desperate attempts to make a Top 40 song that is really just terrible. The slight polishing of "Miracle" or EBW makes the song a bit more poppy, which may give U2 another hit (well, at least something that lasts more than one week in the Top 40, like GOYB).

If U2 still fail to have a hit, then at this point, they should stop trying to get one. If one occurs on any future release, great, but just release albums that they like.

The first half of the record, specially tracks 1, 2 and 4 (then, 3 and 6) scream Billboard charts, way more than "Crazy Tonight" already did, because the former already was a U2-pastiche.

And who knows how much the record has changed since the last time Lanois heard it. Again, I just think it would be interesting to hear what they have to say about it now that it's out, as I have a great deal of respect for both of them.

My guess is it may have changed quite a bit. I'm thinking specifically of Edge's comment that their process makes him think of Zen artists who spend all their time mixing the ink and just a few minutes in the gestures that go on the page. Does that likely mean that what we are hearing is a lot of late takes, not ones that were played at the listening party at Electric Lady more than a year ago?

We could guess that Eno and Lanois' silence is revealing of disinterest or not having a lot of warm things to say. But we could also guess if they were doing a lot of speaking up about how great it is, it might sound a bit 'the lady doth protest too much'. I'm not familiar enough with the scene in general to know if commenting on each other's work publicly is normal and expected. Do celebrity former collaborators have a habit of publicly praising each other's work? And it what forum would the release such comments? McGuinness's came from an interview about the release model, but Eno and Lanois don't really have a reason to speak out right now. Are they supposed to talk about this album on twitter?

We could guess that Eno and Lanois' silence is revealing of disinterest or not having a lot of warm things to say. But we could also guess if they were doing a lot of speaking up about how great it is, it might sound a bit 'the lady doth protest too much'. I'm not familiar enough with the scene in general to know if commenting on each other's work publicly is normal and expected. Do celebrity former collaborators have a habit of publicly praising each other's work? And it what forum would the release such comments? McGuinness's came from an interview about the release model, but Eno and Lanois don't really have a reason to speak out right now. Are they supposed to talk about this album on twitter?

Remember in the past there wasn't a whole lot of talking about POP or HTDAAB when Eno and Lanois weren't involved. This is a new thing now with lots of twitter people wanting to know everything. Bono already said the album took so long because they weren't good enough musicians. We'll hear more later when the dust settles. Lillywhite simply stated he liked Edge as MVP but nothing yet. Lanois liked an earlier version and Eno is known not to be a big rock fan and has a pretty good album that came out recently.

We could guess that Eno and Lanois' silence is revealing of disinterest or not having a lot of warm things to say.

Well, the album has been out less than a week. So maybe they haven't said anything about it yet because no-one has asked them yet.

Good question, I've been thinking the same. I love the release strategy this time around, but I miss all the interview promo normally associated with a U2 release. I'd love an in depth exposé of what has really been happening over the last few years, a making of, if you like.

Hopefully with the physical release we may see a more conventional approach to promotion in terms of small shows and magazine front covers! Perhaps even some more studio footage.

It would be the biggest shame in U2's career to let go DM from here on. He's added at least 5 good years to their commercial life and they must hang on to him.

We know from history U2 likes to form a professional family, they tend to work with people for long time to come. case in point Willie Williams, Joe O'Herlihy, Flood etc.

If this partnership is a success, as it's proving to be, I'm sure they will mend any animosity, should there be, and find ways to work around the difficulties of creative process.

Disclaimer

I'm not undermining other talents in the industry, but merely appreciating a successful partnership

I don't know why anyone thinks there's animosity. This is standard U2 to revise and rehash new songs with multiple producers. DM's only comment was that he was done working with the band on this project and wasn't certain where the album stood at that time.

LOL...good question actually. Especially considering a good number of reviews are commenting that his "half" of the record is the better one. I'm sure the band, ever sensitive to what the critics say, have noted this as well.

What "half" ? He's on 9 out of 11 songs.

And the past few days I've read so many commentaries about the new album that I can't quite recall what McCormick said. So what did he say? :)

I do recall an interview with Lanois from last year where he commented a bit on the whole process of making a U2 record. GG-winner Daniel Lanois talks U2, Peter Gabriel – and hockey - The Globe and Mail

Some choice quotes:

And this is from an interview with Rolling Stone, also last year.
Daniel Lanois Discussing New Projects With Pharrell and Robert Plant | Rolling Stone

Eno and Lanois weren't involved. Exactly what would they have to say ?

BTW if U2 and DM had a major falling out, as some suggest, how come they're already mentioning the follow up, Songs of Experience ? You really think SOE isn't a DM album ? (possibly the "other record" James Mercer mentioned)

He doesn't need to talk ... He should

Shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

Exactly. Think of it this way. If I worked on producing an album for 2 or 3 years and then found out that many of the songs were re-done in some way by new producers, even though I still had partial production credit on those songs, it's no longer my work.

If there's any basis for hard feelings, it would be this.

All speculative right now but unless and until we hear from DM, I'm not sure it will be resolved.

Perhaps by releasing alternate mixes over time (such as Troubles), we can get a peek into what Danger Mouse intended with these songs.

Clearly Tedder and Epworth were brought into to make things more poppy/radio friendly etc - at least that's not a bad conclusion based on the other acts they have produced.

It would be nice to see what happened. There were some comments that looked not good. Eg. Larry saying "we have a history of breaking producers" and DM getting angry if people don't like your work and don't tell you. Edge said "we haven't figured out how to work with him yet".

Yet Danger Mouse was there at the end of the process and is the lead credit on the album.

Then we have Tedder comments that the record is in a much better situation than "6 months ago". Now we know he was working on many tracks.

It seems like there was strain with DMs final product (U2 weren't satisfied with it) but it worked out in the end because they kept him on as lead producer to oversee the entire project as they worked with Gaffney, Tedder, and Epworth.

The latest thing we've heard is Bono talking about how the band are limited as musicians and that's the reason for how long it took.

There's definitely a story there but dealing with lauded producers and big egos is going to force the band to control their responses to the media now the album is out.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

Yeah I remember DM visiting Bono in Eze this summer and another article that DM was over seeing the process at the end with different producers some months back. DM wasn't treated like Chris Thomas.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

Yeah I remember DM visiting Bono in Eze this summer and another article that DM was over seeing the process at the end with different producers some months back.

Yeah, I remember hearing about that and being relieved. I thought they had cut ties.

Back
Top Bottom