any new updates anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyuk

Refugee
Hi there well if an album is due out Oct/Nov this year are you getting a bit worried that there seems to be no sign of an recording activity with the boys recently? I must admit i would of thought that they would be in the studio but we have not had any feedback that they are?

or maybe the album is already done and finished and they are relaxing before they hit the big album release and a big world tour?

i thought U2 was going to start spending a lot more time in the studio starting early 2008...no? ahh we need pics and videos dammit...we need news!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080121/ap_en_mu/film_sundance_u23d;_ylt=Arc3Sql46K7fKdGfRk5WhxKs0NUE

The band is currently working with longtime producers Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno on a new album that will merge Lanois' respect for traditional music and Eno's futuristic sound.

"Music like the band had formed on Venus, and somewhere between that is our next album," Bono said. "Where they join, where something feels always existing but you never heard it before, that seems to be what the two of them bring out in us."

We're going to get a Mercy sound. With a little bit of the flavour used at the beginning of the Muse song Knights of Cydonia.

Basically what he said at the Sundance Q and A. Bono doesnt give much away as you can tell from previous quotes.

Holy balls, Batman. Actual song news.

"Can I interrupt this broadcast?" he says. "There's an amazing moment in Ireland, where we live, when the sea and the sky can have the same color and the line of the horizon disappears. And I look at these mountains, and it's just about to happen here."

He reaches beneath the seat and pulls out a CD case, withdrawing a hand-labeled disc. "I have just the right song for it … if I can find it."

He slips the CD into the player and heavy distortion fills the car. It's a song called No Line on the Horizon, which the band is developing for their next album. "It came out of a new distortion box that my guitar tech got," The Edge says.

"This is a little full on!" Bono shouts. "But it's worth it, just to get a flavor of this. It's only a demo."

The song is rough, weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain. "These are just first drafts," Bono explains. He slips in another CD, this one U2's version of a lively Irish folk ditty about folk singer Ronnie Drew, one of the founders of The Dubliners.

U2DMfan said:
Holy balls, Batman. Actual song news.

"Can I interrupt this broadcast?" he says. "There's an amazing moment in Ireland, where we live, when the sea and the sky can have the same color and the line of the horizon disappears. And I look at these mountains, and it's just about to happen here."

He reaches beneath the seat and pulls out a CD case, withdrawing a hand-labeled disc. "I have just the right song for it … if I can find it."

He slips the CD into the player and heavy distortion fills the car. It's a song called No Line on the Horizon, which the band is developing for their next album. "It came out of a new distortion box that my guitar tech got," The Edge says.

"This is a little full on!" Bono shouts. "But it's worth it, just to get a flavor of this. It's only a demo."

The song is rough, weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain. "These are just first drafts," Bono explains. He slips in another CD, this one U2's version of a lively Irish folk ditty about folk singer Ronnie Drew, one of the founders of The Dubliners.

Who wants to bet he left the discs in the car? Someone find that SUV stat. We need a new 'Mercy' around here :lol:

Last edited:
I'm starting to think clip 402 ("I Believe") is No Line On The Horizon.

Description:
"He slips the CD into the player and heavy distortion fills the car.
The song is rough, weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain"

Beachclip 402:
The above mentioned beachclip starts off with a heavy distorted guitar as well.
Between the refrains the guitar is obviously not as heavy, but rather has a nice little clean touch to it i.e., "weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain".

Now here's the part where I'm not as sure but I think Bono is singing "A Line. On. The. Hori-" before the chorus were someone asks him: "How about the chorus?"
Perhaps I'm wrong but it fits quite nicely in that place.

The next one after that is as previously stated something along the lines of "A boy falls from the sky".
So either he played around with two different ideas or I'm hearing what I wish it would be. :)
The sky is definately a reoccuring theme in this song though as far as I can tell.

I'm quite sure the lyrics in the beachclips are not finished so anything could've happened to the song between July 2006 and January 2008 of course.
At the end of the clip it sounds like Bono is talking about "...new lyrics".

Wasn't there a mention from someone who visited Eze last summer that one of the previous beach songs was played again but with more dramatic guitars toward the end or something like that?

Thoughts? :D

The_Edge89 said:

Description:
The song is rough, weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain"

Beachclip 402:
Between the refrains the guitar is obviously not as heavy, but rather has a nice little clean touch to it i.e., "weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain".

Now here's the part where I'm not as sure but I think Bono is singing "A Line. On. The. Hori-" before the chorus were someone asks him: "How about the chorus?"

The next one after that is as previously stated something along the lines of "A boy falls from the sky".
So either he played around with two different ideas or I'm hearing what I wish it would be. :)
The sky is definately a reoccuring theme in this song though as far as I can tell.

I'm quite sure the lyrics in the beachclips are not finished so anything could've happened to the song between July 2006 and January 2008 of course.

Wasn't there a mention from someone who visited Eze last summer that one of the previous beach songs was played again but with more dramatic guitars toward the end or something like that?

I can definitely see this, I hear the "guitar blasts" in 402, and since the beach clips are from Summer '06 a lot could've changed. Just look at what happened to Window in the Skies.

topplehatU2 said:

I can definitely see this, I hear the "guitar blasts" in 402, and since the beach clips are from Summer '06 a lot could've changed. Just look at what happened to Window in the Skies.

can someone please send me a link on youtube or something of this clip? I haven't heard it yet I don't think..Thanks :)

The_Edge89 said:

Description:

Beachclip 402:

NOT TO JUMP THE GUN OR ANYTHING BUT I REALY CAN HEAR THE CHORUS PART. EXACTLY AS YOU SAID - "A LINE ON THE HOR - IZ - ON (I am getting excited as the capitals point too lol)

omg I'm listening to "All My Life" !!!! I love it!!!

AND THAT EDGE SOLO HOLY SHIT!

wtf, i can't believe i haven't heard this before...ok, the new album will = :drool: mark my words

Last edited:
Rob33 said:
omg I'm listening to "All My Life" !!!! I love it!!!

AND THAT EDGE SOLO HOLY SHIT!

wtf, i can't believe i haven't heard this before...ok, the new album will = :drool: mark my words

Old news. Very old news. Will All My Life make the album? If the album's going to be a departure? You can't have one without having the other unless All My Life is the sole connection of U2 to the ATYCLB/HTDAAB era.... But then what about Mercy? Because that sounds like that era, too....

tourist, maybe you didn't see the beginning of my post when I said I had never heard that before :wink:

As far as direction goes, I think "Mercy" and "All My Life" would go well on the same album, no?

but how this will tie into the new direction they are speaking of is the real question here....surely there must be some way to tweak those songs to fit whatever kinda feeling they are looking for on the next album....

Last edited:
When I read it the first sound that came into my head was acutally the intro to the promo clip from Daniel Lanois's Here Is What Is movie. That's what it sounds like to me. Though I couldn't care less really - this means they've got rough mixes of stuff that they're working on, so we'll definitely see an album this year. Which is great!

Rob33 said:
tourist, maybe you didn't see the beginning of my post when I said I had never heard that before :wink:

As far as direction goes, I think "Mercy" and "All My Life" would go well on the same album, no?

but how this will tie into the new direction they are speaking of is the real question here....surely there must be some way to tweak those songs to fit whatever kinda feeling they are looking for on the next album....

U2 have never completely abandoned one sound in favor of another on any album. I would say the biggest sound change ever is from "War" to UF, and even then, there are overlaps. Songs like "October" and "New Year's Day" blend well with many songs on TUF. "Pride" almost seems out of place on UF, and may have fit a bit better on "War".

Looking further ahead, U2 continued this pattern. R&H has many elements of JT, but also leads us to AB, with songs like "God Part II". AB didn't abandon the JT sound completely, with beauties like "One", "Love Is Blindness" and "Acrobat", but it does push forward with songs like "Mysterious Ways" and "Even Better Than...". "Zooropa" connected some of the newer concepts on AB, with songs like the title track and "Dirty Day", but also blended in well with past work with songs like "Stay".

"Pop" changed beats with songs like "Mofo", but also had songs like "If God Will Send His Angels" , which connected to the past, and "Staring at the Sun", the latter of which could have easily fit on ATYCLB or HTDAAB - albums of the future.

And speaking of HTDAAB, while there are clear tie-ins to the sound of ATYCLB, there are also songs, like "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars", that may lead to future sounds and styles (note the style of "Fast Cars" seems to be a sound U2 is further exploring, per recent reports).

In other words, while it's obvious U2 have had sound and style changes, they always have had elements of their past on their albums. Billy Corgan once stated that "Pop" sounded like a Greatest Hits album from U2, as it combined almost all of U2's past sounds, with a bit of something new thrown in. And indeed, one could see "The Fly" blending right into "Discotheque", "Miami" flowing from "God Part II", and "Please" a segueway from "Sunday Bloody Sunday".

With that in mind, I can easily envision some elements of HTDAAB, with songs like "Mercy", fitting in on the new album along with songs that have a different sound and style.

I'm not focused on U2 completely abandoning their past, as they have never done this before. They will have a transition - a new sound, but with elements of their past. This is, after all, who they are. U2 have a certain way of writing, which is unique to them. It's tough to completely dismiss something that is not only innate, but very effective and successful.

Last edited:
I just hope Bono finally shuts the fuck up for a second on this one and lets the songs breathe a little.

t8thgr8 said:
I just hope Bono finally shuts the fuck up for a second on this one and lets the songs breathe a little.

Haha... a little harsh but so so true!

No Line On The Horizon is a great title and the description sounds great! This is just a demo, he says... Bono, don't fuck it up!!! :mad: :sigh:

Back
Top Bottom