And more Lanois talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"It will be different in many ways, but I think it is similar to one aspect, namely that it will push the known limits on the sound level, as Achtung Baby did in the past."

"Now we are working with periods of creation well-defined. We shall meet somewhere and work two weeks on all possible aspects. Then we go on with other occupations for three weeks before meeting again. It requires a logistics, but for the creation, it is as if everything was fresh each time we're meeting again together. "

"I play instruments, I make voiceover. In short, I do what I can (smile), sofar as it allows me to contribute a whole. "

and say in relation to the release of the album at the end of the year:

"concretly, yes. It's just finished. Although I return in two weeks for the last time, just to complete some mixes. "

- The album will push known limits (specific Achtung Baby reference)
- The album is different in many ways from their past work
- The creation process was very fresh
- The album is finished; final mixes due in two weeks

Google Translation:

What to Expect the new disc U2? At least nothing to be overthrown, if one relies on Daniel Lanois when asked if the new achievement is a continuity or a snap.

"It will be different in many ways, but I think it is similar to one aspect, namely that it will push the known limits on the noise level, as Achtung Baby has in the past."

Since that time Lanois works with the band Bono, professional collaboration debut gave way to a friendship, though the dynamic has changed for the creative process.

"Now we are working with periods of creating well-defined. We shall meet somewhere and work two weeks on all possible aspects. Then we go about other occupations for three weeks before meeting again. It requires a logistics, but for the creation, it is as if everything was fresh whenever it is found. "

And Lanois, will he do something other than coréaliser with Brian Eno?

"I play instruments, I make voiceover. In short, I do what I can (smile), insofar as it allows me to contribute a whole. "

This disc which is scheduled to appear at the end of the year is it done?

"In practical terms, yes. It has just finish it. Although I return in two weeks for the last time, just to complete some mixes. "

^ U2's Interference spies have gotten the message that people were tired of the same quotes from Bone & Edge. :shifty:

yes, basically, he said that the album is almost finished, it's Achtung Baby Like in the way they are pushing their sound limits, that they followed a 2week sessions/3week freetime rule for the making of the record, and that Dany did some background vocals

Yes, especially the "innovativness". Combined with Eno's Moment of surrender comment, this sounds like something amazing is coming.

^ U2's Interference spies have gotten the message that people were tired of the same quotes from Bone & Edge. :shifty:

yup....although i like his mysterious messages..molten metal...punk rock from venus, danny lanois you bore me.... :wink:

:hmm: If Eno and Lanois are getting song writing credits
on this album they get paid more if the album sells well.
Ergo, the chattiness.
How is "Bono is singing like a bird" any different from
"the Edge is on fire?"

this stuff just gets me so pumped. it seems like U2 has made the album i wanted them to make.

I get the impression that the new album is just going to be 12 tracks worth of 30 second soundbites from Lanois about what the next U2 album will sound like.

There's one big problem with all these 'Achtung Baby'-comparisons: for me personally it hypes the new album more than quotes like 'The Edge is on fire', with the great risk the album is gonna disappoint me when it misses the 'promised' innovativeness.

:hmm: If Eno and Lanois are getting song writing credits
on this album they get paid more if the album sells well.
Ergo, the chattiness.
How is "Bono is singing like a bird" any different from
"the Edge is on fire?"

Vertigo tour, Union chapel and Mandela show...

I trust Lanois talk about the album, he is very serious when he talk in interviews...

there is danger, though, in the repeated comparisons to Achtung--especially if people get it in their heads that it'll sound like Achtung...

I just love the pre album time period! At this point the sky is really the limit. I really like the enthusiasm of Lanois about this project as well!

there is danger, though, in the repeated comparisons to Achtung--especially if people get it in their heads that it'll sound like Achtung...
I would guess that the people who are gonna complain about this will find something to complain no matter what the band releases

Lanois quotes make me happy
that man is violently in love with music
when he is this positive about the band's work something good must be going on

If you expect an album like Achtung Baby then I think you probably will be disappointed. Why would you expect it? Because the mere mention of the word? All he's talking about is U2 innovating their own sound, similar to the way they did on Achtung Baby.

The single biggest problem I've seen on Interference as a whole is the narrow minded frame of reference. That is to say, everything U2 does has to be directly compared to everything they've done before. So even when Lanois (or others) are saying U2 are trying to innovate their own sound and comparing that ambition to the innovation of U2's sound on Achtung Baby, people can't help but expect Achtung Baby Part 2. It's just narrow minded.

It's as silly as the people who claim ATYCLB was some return to an 80's U2 form or bashing Coldplay entirely because of similarities to U2. It's viewing things through a myopic lens.

If he had used someone else to use a frame of reference or influence, say Jimi Hendrix, then (just as I read in a thread the other day) it's "Oh, I don't want them to sound like Jimi Hendrix, they've already done All Along The Watchtower...blah blah". It lacks any context or perspective. It confuses influence for mimicry. It ignores what Lanois had actually said when talking about Mitch Mitchell. It's just plain short-sighted all around. AND it happens a lot AND it's many many different people thinking in the same manner.

U2 can't rewrite their genetics. They will sound like U2 no matter what they do. Seems to me they are at least trying different approaches (ala Achtung Baby) and hopefully that will give us a new angle on U2's sound.

But for God's sake just because Lanois or someone else mentions Achtung Baby, can we just try and open the scope enough to understand that it's the approach they are talking about rather than a sound. Why would U2 deliberately try and go repeat themselves?

Anyways, I'm just trying to warn people about those expectations.
This album will not be able to approach the heights of Achtung Baby's reputation because it's just not physicaly possible. U2 can only totally revamp their sound once. From then, it's variations on the theme. Just like they can only have the classic 'U2' sound once, ATYCLB wasn't derivative of that, at all. They can only do so much to innovate their sound without totally and completely changing the dynamics. They are at least trying, it seems.

I don't want to be preachy or condescending here, honestly but I think we've got to nip this right now or else, I think when the new single comes out, it will be an incessant festival of 'Achtung this and Achtung that'. Can we try and be fair to the guys? I say start by saying to some of you, take your head out of the tunnel and look from a different angle.

I would guess that the people who are gonna complain about this will find something to complain no matter what the band releases

Lanois quotes make me happy
that man is violently in love with music
when he is this positive about the band's work something good must be going on

exactly. if there's one credible source in my mind, it would be Lanois. he's never been one to over-hype.

exactly. if there's one credible source in my mind, it would be Lanois. he's never been one to over-hype.

Lanois was raised and started his career as a producer in my area, about 20 minutes from where I live. His down-to-earth, nice guy, humble, unassuming manner is so typical of people from around here - he seems to have not lost that. So, when he makes comments like this, I tend to believe him. This means, of course, I'm *really* excited. :)

If this album is as good as Coldplay's new disc (grazie Brian Eno), we're in for a late-period U2 masterpiece on our hands...

Back
Top Bottom