American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spotify sent me an email saying that American Soul is on there now in case anyone wants to hear it for free.

I still haven't listened to it. After all the negativity I've seen, I kind of don't want to.

I think that a lyric video being released Monday has people assuming... :shrug:

In a normal "U2" album cycle an official video of any sort would mean it's a new single but this album cycle is very unique and I don't think we can be sure.

They published the live Blackout video on YouTube and made the song available for download. They also gave it to MLB to play during the World Series....but haven't performed it at any promo appearances.

The recorded a video for GOOYOW and made the song available for download. They also have been playing it during a couple of promo appearances.....but they haven't released that video yet.

American Soul will have a lyric video and is available for download but they haven't played it at any promo appearances.

I really have no idea what the 2nd single is or will be. It's possible that GOOYOW will be real eased in Europe and American Soul will be in the US but I'm just speculating.

I can kinda see American Soul working as a single. Kinda. It does have a great rhythm section/groove. Edge is at least being guitary. And it's an easy chorus to remember. And the US market might like yet another song all about the US.

Sorry so many here are so shaken by some U2 fans using their discretion to dislike some aspects of U2. I do like aspects of this song. The lyrics, for me, are a barrier to actually reaching the end of the song. Whatever.

As a whole, not hating the song at all. Just the lyrics.

This album still appears to be Adam's strongest since Zooropa.

I can kinda see American Soul working as a single. Kinda. It does have a great rhythm section/groove. Edge is at least being guitary. And it's an easy chorus to remember. And the US market might like yet another song all about the US.

Sorry so many here are so shaken by some U2 fans using their discretion to dislike some aspects of U2. I do like aspects of this song. The lyrics, for me, are a barrier to actually reaching the end of the song. Whatever.

As a whole, not hating the song at all. Just the lyrics.

This album still appears to be Adam's strongest since Zooropa.

Guitary?! LOL, I like that!

Lyrically it’s actually better than Elevation, yeah I know many won’t agree with me on this... but there’s something about this grove and vibe that I dig.

Guitary?! LOL, I like that!

Lyrically it’s actually better than Elevation, yeah I know many won’t agree with me on this... but there’s something about this grove and vibe that I dig.
I'd say the lyrics don't read as bad as they sound (except refu-jesus. Bono you spanner). The choice of words and delivery do seem to be married to the wrong backing track though.

Devil may care rock and roll riff, deep dirty groove. Then Bono's philosophical pontificating cliche message complete with the pompous 'is to me' phrasing.

If it was Zoo Station-style lyrics, perhaps even with a similar dirty vocal treatment, I think it would work so much better.

Devil may care rock and roll riff, deep dirty groove. Then Bono's philosophical pontificating cliche message complete with the pompous 'is to me' phrasing.

If it was Zoo Station-style lyrics, perhaps even with a similar dirty vocal treatment, I think it would work so much better.

Yeah, I agree with this. American Soul isn't a good song, but it could be. I'm not sure if that's more or less frustrating than straight-up rubbish like Best Thing.

See, to me it actually works because the “it could be too late” feeling, there’s a desperation in this song.

Ah I didn’t see the lyric video announcement.

Makes sense now.

Poor choice for a single. There’s not a big hook there. Best Thing is a muuuuch better single in the sense that there’s a melody and an ear worm.

American Soul is fine. But it’s not single material.

Regardless, just give me the damn album already.

I like that we're getting nitpicky over whether something is a single or not when the traditional idea of a single is basically dead.

If it's released as a stand-alone tune on Spotify (i.e. it shows up as "American Soul off American Soul by U2"), it might as well be a single to the ordinary listener.

I like that we're getting nitpicky over whether something is a single or not when the traditional idea of a single is basically dead.

If it's released as a stand-alone tune on Spotify (i.e. it shows up as "American Soul off American Soul by U2"), it might as well be a single to the ordinary listener.

Released to radio as a single is my measure

This.

Not here for the "shut up and count your blessings" bullshit. Especially when the band's organization just fleeced a bunch of longtime fans with this corporate ticketing fiasco.

No, you are here to complain because Santa didn't give you what you wanted. All the salt from these "hardcore U2 fans". It's a fun enough read but get over yourself and enjoy the music. If you don't: move on because U2 doesn't owe you anything.

I think maybe the “dislike” stems from the chorus - specifically that it’s disappointing but not a bad chorus per se. You wait for the hook and then it’s anticlimactic and disappointing when it hits and you’ve already heard it.

Also, what streams or becomes available for purchase, in addition to music videos and dissemination to radio, are considered “singles” nowadays. Those songs are singled out from the rest of the album. The old-fashioned single, which used to get charted a defined course of release, no longer fits. Nitpicking these distinctions is an exercise in semantics.

Last edited:
I think maybe the “dislike” stems from the chorus - specifically that it’s disappointing but not a bad chorus per se. You wait for the hook and then it’s anticlimactic and disappointing when it hits and you’ve already heard it.

Also, what streams or becomes available for purchase, in addition to music videos and dissemination to radio, are considered “singles” nowadays. Those songs are singled out from the rest of the album. The old-fashioned single, which used to get charted a defined course of release, no longer fits. Nitpicking these distinctions is an exercise in semantics.

So you nitpick it, claim to be correct, and then call nitpicking semantics?

The comment you made about singles is patently untrue. The Killers made 4 songs available from Wonderful Wonderful before the release, and it has only just been announced that ‘Rut’ (which wasn’t one of the 4) will be the third single from the album.

No, you are here to complain because Santa didn't give you what you wanted. All the salt from these "hardcore U2 fans". It's a fun enough read but get over yourself and enjoy the music. If you don't: move on because U2 doesn't owe you anything.

Great. More dipshittery from another dumbfuckologist.

So you nitpick it, claim to be correct, and then call nitpicking semantics?

The comment you made about singles is patently untrue. The Killers made 4 songs available from Wonderful Wonderful before the release, and it has only just been announced that ‘Rut’ (which wasn’t one of the 4) will be the third single from the album.

All those songs are singles these days. Again, semantics. And what a terrible album.

Last edited:
If you don't: move on because U2 doesn't owe you anything.

"I don't have to worry about the same things that a lot of people have to -- can you afford to get into hospitals and schools and all that.

"That's the deal with U2 fans, if you like. You don't worry about that and, in return, don't be boring. I can be obnoxious but I don't think I'm boring."

-Bono (2002)

So, yea, they kind of do. I expect people to hold up their end of the bargain (especially when they're the ones who set the terms).

"I don't have to worry about the same things that a lot of people have to -- can you afford to get into hospitals and schools and all that.

"That's the deal with U2 fans, if you like. You don't worry about that and, in return, don't be boring. I can be obnoxious but I don't think I'm boring."

-Bono (2002)

So, yea, they kind of do. I expect people to hold up their end of the bargain (especially when they're the ones who set the terms).

As I said, the comments from the so called hardcore U2 fans who live on these forums are a fun enough read. Even when their only defense is throwing insults like "dumbfuckologist". Again, get over it that Santa didn't give you every year the present you want and move on to some other music that you like. Being negative is really unactractive you know.

As I said, the comments from the so called hardcore U2 fans who live on these forums are a fun enough read. Even when their only defense is throwing insults like "dumbfuckologist". Again, get over it that Santa didn't give you every year the present you want and move on to some other music that you like. Being negative is really unactractive you know.

First of all, you quote my retort (consisting of a direct quote from Bono contradicting your false assertion) and then say that my only defense was name calling? You just immediately contradicted yourself. I don't usually call people names but I was floored by your idiocy.

Secondly, it's not even Christmas yet.

Thirdly, the phrase "get over it" in this context is meaningless at best (and, IMO, an irritating and stupidly generic directive).

Fourthly, I'll decide what music to listen to, thanks. It's not an either/or situation anyway.

The primary flaw of your premise is that someone isn't a fan unless they're an absolute sycophant. It's rubbish and nonsensical. Your ignorance is what's "unactractive".

Once again, Bono said it best. "The opposite of love isn't hate...it's apathy". The majority of the negative reactions are from people who care...and want the band to be as great as they themselves want to be (and have been).

Someone's got some learning to do...

:down:

Last edited:
P.S. I've made several positive comments about the new material we've heard and am still excited about the album...but I'm somewhat underwhelmed thus far. Does that make me a false fan?

How about this: SOE seems like it's going to be way better than Achtung Baby! The Best Thing is the best song they've ever written! American Soul is better than Heartland! Get Out of Your Own Way far superior to Stay! I like The Little Things more than Gloria! Blackout is awe-inspiring and even better than New Years Day!

:doh:

Last edited:
What's with these random posters with really low post counts suddenly coming out of the woodwork to accuse people of being U2 haters on the basis of disliking a small handful of songs anyway. Good job not participating but slagging off those who do.

It's so specious and disingenuous. But hey if you can't cope unless your opinion is shared by everybody else on an Internet forum, can I just take this moment to say that literally everything you've ever liked sucks?

Back
Top Bottom