American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This blanket condemning of honest reactions to U2's new material really needs to stop. No one should be vilified for not liking a song. By your logic, everyone would be an absolute sycophant.

I can understand pointing it out if someone is always negative, but I can also wholeheartedly appreciate it if someone doesn't like this song...and they have a right to say it.

Oh, and U2 has given me what I wanted a number of times over the years.

This.

Not here for the "shut up and count your blessings" bullshit. Especially when the band's organization just fleeced a bunch of longtime fans with this corporate ticketing fiasco.

Now this is weird: I first listened to this song a few weeks ago and thought it was a hot mess. Just listened to it again... and it kind of rocks? Still wish they hadn't already used the chorus as the bridge in Volcano so it would sound fresh, but I'm digging the verses and instrumentation.

Its fun but not deep. I doubt I'll be reaching for this song in 2 years for a U2 playlist. I miss the deep lyrical meaning of U2's past eras.

This is my least favorite of the four songs we've heard.

Excited that it's only two weeks til the album comes out!

So i listened to it for the first time this morning and gave it about 8 spins since to really soak it in.

Over the past few weeks, people have bashed this song to no end and i was going into it with a low bar.

My take:

Great opening, what an awesome guitar/drum/bass combo.

The chorus doesn’t do anything for me and doesn’t compliment the song.

The lyrics are fine. Some are pretty good, some are meh.

The “refu-Jesus” line was way overblown here and sounds fine to me.

The recycled Volcano chorus doesn’t bother me at all but the chorus itself isn’t good.

All in all, there is a lot of cool sounds, decent lyrics and it’s an okay song for me(could change). i would say it’s a 5 or 6 out of 10. I’ll keep listening and it could change but likely will stay in that range.

This song is not nearly as offensive as some have made it out to be but it’s my least favorite of the new tunes at the moment.

I also heard it for the first time today and I agree with you... I really like the first 1:20 min of the song, before the recycled Volcano chorus start, which I didn’t like a lot in Volcano either.

Well folks. This is officially the new single.

I just don’t get this decision. I suppose, the rocker after the pop tune, then maybe a ballad next?

Maybe they think the tiny Kendrick clip will boost its visibility... I dunno. Sounds like there are a lot better songs on the album to choose from. :|:huh:

This just makes me mad that the superior Volcano wasn't released as a single instead of SFS. There's just no excuse for releasing 2 ballads in a row as singles like they did for SOI.

Well folks. This is officially the new single.

I just don’t get this decision. I suppose, the rocker after the pop tune, then maybe a ballad next?

Maybe they think the tiny Kendrick clip will boost its visibility... I dunno. Sounds like there are a lot better songs on the album to choose from. :|:huh:

Where do you see this as the official single?

This song shits all over Volcano. Still not what I would have gone with for single, but I guess they’re trying to spread themselves out over formats.

The song is okay but not single material. Then again, i thought EBW was a great single and it crapped out. At this point, do what you think you got to do because come 13 days from now, I’ll have all 14 new songs!

So i listened to it for the first time this morning and gave it about 8 spins since to really soak it in.

Over the past few weeks, people have bashed this song to no end and i was going into it with a low bar.

My take:

Great opening, what an awesome guitar/drum/bass combo.

The chorus doesn’t do anything for me and doesn’t compliment the song.

The lyrics are fine. Some are pretty good, some are meh.

The “refu-Jesus” line was way overblown here and sounds fine to me.

The recycled Volcano chorus doesn’t bother me at all but the chorus itself isn’t good.

All in all, there is a lot of cool sounds, decent lyrics and it’s an okay song for me(could change). i would say it’s a 5 or 6 out of 10. I’ll keep listening and it could change but likely will stay in that range.

This song is not nearly as offensive as some have made it out to be but it’s my least favorite of the new tunes at the moment.

I agree with every single word of this.

I don't know how you can say "refu-jesus" was overblown when it's literally the stupidest thing Bono's ever written, and he delivers it with the conviction of a first year university student who thinks they've just uncovered some earth-shattering truth.

I don't know how you can say "refu-jesus" was overblown when it's literally the stupidest thing Bono's ever written, and he delivers it with the conviction of a first year university student who thinks they've just uncovered some earth-shattering truth.

I just don’t think it’s as bad as people are saying. It’s certainly not great, but stupidest thing he’s ever written? Nah.

Heavy as a truck, butter on toast - far far worse.

Edit - they are worse because they are super clumsy, and only exist to be rhymes.

I just don’t think it’s as bad as people are saying. It’s certainly not great, but stupidest thing he’s ever written? Nah.

Heavy as a truck, butter on toast - far far worse.

Edit - they are worse because they are super clumsy, and only exist to be rhymes.

"Heavy as a truck" is bad but it's always kind of gone in one ear and straight out the other for me. "Butter on toast" and "little old lady" were the top two worst (and "bullets in guns to protect the ones"). But oh man, "refu-jesus" is something else entirely. On what planet did he think that forced, barely coherent portmanteau was clever? How did the band not tell him to stop? How did nobody else around them step in and say this might just be a little too cringeworthy to put out there?

Mystifying.

It really didn’t bug me. i mean, it’s not something i think is poetic or cool but it’s just there. And “little old lady” from SUC was the stupidest think he ever wrote.

it’s also very early in my listening stage. i might listen to it in a month and go...”yeah, that does suck” but for now it’s just not that bad.

Also, i would be willing to bet that the will be selling “refu-Jesus” shirts on tour....i wish i were joking but get ready.

Also, i would be willing to bet that the will be selling “refu-Jesus” shirts on tour....i wish i were joking but get ready.

I would be prepared to forgive this if they perform The Refugee. Partly for the crazy stat it would create, partly for the meltdown here.

The fuck is wrong with you. White As Snow is one of NLOTH's better tracks.

And American Soul is clearly superior to Elvis Ate America, Red Light, A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel, So Cruel, TTTYAATW, Babyface, Miami, Playboy Mansion, In a Little While, Stuck in a Moment, Peace on Earth, Grace, SYCMIOYO, OOTS, Yahweh, Boots, Stand Up Comedy, Breathe, Unknown Caller, California, Song for Someone, The Blurst Thing... probably a few others.

So it's bad, but it's not that bad.

So Cruel? Really?

It really didn’t bug me. i mean, it’s not something i think is poetic or cool but it’s just there. And “little old lady” from SUC was the stupidest think he ever wrote.

it’s also very early in my listening stage. i might listen to it in a month and go...”yeah, that does suck” but for now it’s just not that bad.

I'm going to pass on the RefuJesus shirt and buy a Blessed Are The Filthy Rich shirt instead.

And American Soul is clearly superior to Elvis Ate America, Red Light, A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel, So Cruel, TTTYAATW, Babyface, Miami, Playboy Mansion, In a Little While, Stuck in a Moment, Peace on Earth, Grace, SYCMIOYO, OOTS, Yahweh, Boots, Stand Up Comedy, Breathe, Unknown Caller, California, Song for Someone, The Blurst Thing... probably a few others.

This post was a shark jump.

This post was a shark jump.

When will we reach the point as a society that we actually are forced to consider that Happy Days episode a classic because it was so bad that it sparked a phrase that almost 40’years later is spoken and written all the time and everyone knows what it signifies. It might be the most important episode in sitcom history!

What the hell?
I get an email from U2.com telling me I can download American Soul. I click on the link that says "Click Here To Download American Soul" and what I get is Redhill Mining Town!!!

The fuck is wrong with you. White As Snow is one of NLOTH's better tracks.

:up::up::up::up:

White As Snow is one of the top 3 songs in NLOTH.

Back
Top Bottom