American Soul. - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
U2 have never recycled riffs or lyrics, never mind entire sections of songs that appeared on an album. The only other instance that's comparable is Spinning Head, and that was a b-side for a single from that album.

I haven't listened to this song yet and will try not to until the album comes out.

I do think it would be odd to use the same riff and or lyrics in an album song as was used in another album song. To your point if it is a b-side that they took from then that makes sense as they built on the b-side to become an a-side.

They did steal lyrics though before, very recently, and thought it was strange at the time but after a while I was okay with it and thought it was kinda cool. I am referring to Boots and Fez Being Born (Let me in the Sound).

Again, I haven't heard the song but I do agree that it's rare for U2 to do what is being described.

CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
I haven't listened to this song yet and will try not to until the album comes out.

I do think it would be odd to use the same riff and or lyrics in an album song as was used in another album song. To your point if it is a b-side that they took from then that makes sense as they built on the b-side to become an a-side.

They did steal lyrics though before, very recently, and thought it was strange at the time but after a while I was okay with it and thought it was kinda cool. I am referring to Boots and Fez Being Born (Let me in the Sound).

Again, I haven't heard the song but I do agree that it's rare for U2 to do what is being described.
Its certainly VERY obvious in this song lol. It is volcano 2 and I can totally see how people would not like this or think it's lazy. Somehow this doesn't bother me with this song. It's got great energy otherwise. Someone here said (forgot who) that if volcano wasn't released this might be a killer song. I think they are right. I think this is better than volcano but too similar to volcano as well. After listening a few times, I still love it bit I don't know if I will love it in a year or not. I worry when I instantly love a song cos these are the songs that I tend to not like over time. Now as for gooyow I like it but I am not crazy for it, this might actually be a good sign that I will love it later on.

dabiggestu2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #123
Refugee

Local Time: 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post

I forgot about that and stand corrected. Creating thematic unity on an album is totally different from recycling an entire section across two albums released three years apart, on two songs that are about different things
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #124
Refugee

Local Time: 07:55 AM
Again, I really like song except for the chorus. It's really disappointing
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #125
War Child

Just thought. They're gonna mix the 2 live aren't they

�������������������
ClaytonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #126
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
I forgot about that and stand corrected. Creating thematic unity on an album is totally different from recycling an entire section across two albums released three years apart, on two songs that are about different things
They are companion albums though, which makes it acceptable to me.
jameskinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #127
The Fly

Local Time: 06:55 AM
American Soul is fucking atrocious. The lyrics are fucking awful. The lyrics are literally like a Bono interview with Charlie Rose pasted over the Volcano You & And I Are Rock & Roll riff...it's really, really bad IMO. I liked the other tunes on the album so far but this one sucks.

This feels like the end to me.
aviastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #128
Refugee

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Yeah the companion album thing, i get it. I think they went too far but they're U2, it might work better in an album context and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt till then.

The cliche slogan lyrics though... Bono is eloquent, well read, intelligent and has written so many great lyrics. Is his head really just full of slogans now? Or is he being ironic? Am i missing something.

Still miffed Edge didn't use a song like to play something fast and brutal. Quiet a few critics while adding to the song.
kiwilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #129
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:55 AM
I have no idea how to access this song but I'm getting the impression that I don't want to access it
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #130
War Child

They've reused bits and pieces before, just not to this blatantly. The 'dream out loud' lyric was used a couple times. That Rejoice lyric came back in Lucifer's Hands. HTDAAB was an entire album about kneeling. Crumbs From Your Table is like, 80% the live arrangement of Walk On with different words. LWTSH was an early version that became something else, like Always and Native Son.

There's likely a million versions of songs in the vault frankenstein'd together with pieces of others just by virtue of how they work. They probably had two tracks stewing that used the same part and decided this was the time to run with it given the connection between the records.
SpaceBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #131
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:55 AM
I will now live post my first listen to American Soul as if I were Trump
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #132
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:55 AM
Ok I like the beginning here..
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #133