American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi everyone , I guess they really like the «Led Zep» songs over the last decade ...Love peace or else, Stand up comedy, Volcano, raised by wolves...and now American soul. What is striking is that they rarely play these songs live once the albums go out ...

Meh. I always thought the pre-chorus of Volcano ("Been out in the wild") was WAY catchier than the chorus. "You are rock and roll" was pretty weak the first time around, certainly not worth using in another song 3 years later.

+1

Last edited:
Here's where I'm at right now:
American Soul - 2
Blackout - 5
Little Things - 6
Get Out - 6
TBT - 5

That's not even averaging 5 out of 10. I hope the album has a couple of 8's at least!

I'd give SOI a 7.5-8 overall...

I'm not crazy about this particular song, but I cannot *wait* for the Bono interview where he performs mental gymnastics to defend the Volcano lift.

"Now following an album with a sequel album of material is cheeky. But repurposing a chorus from our last album? That's *really* cheeky. But it only works if it comes from a place of truth, and I think we pulled it off."

Hi everyone , I guess they really like the «Led Zep» songs over the last decade ...Love peace or else, Stand up comedy, Volcano, raised by wolves...and now American soul. What is striking is that they rarely play these songs live once the albums go out ...

Well 50% of those were staples of those tours.

And I’m not sure if RBW fits into that category.

smh sad to see all these geezers who don't understand the grace of refujesus

I think its clever and works Like the song too even though the Volcano sample is taking some getting used Love Own Way - both so much better than Best Thing so its a relief

I'm not rolling my eyes at "refujesus" like some are, but saying it has "grace" feels like a reeeeeeeally big stretch.

I'm not rolling my eyes at "refujesus" like some are, but saying it has "grace" feels like a reeeeeeeally big stretch.
anigif_sub-buzz-30411-1479695593-2.gif

Why does no one seem to appreciate buddha-weiser. I thought I was onto something there.

Buddha-weiser side by side with refu-jesus would be like He-man and She-ra.

Why is this song anywhere near the album and why sample themselves?! So, so bad.

Well 50% of those were staples of those tours.

And I’m not sure if RBW fits into that category.

You are right :)
I am just baffled about their motivation to create 70s old style songs ...Most rock songs of Soi seem so old in their production too. Any title of Pop sound fresher and modern in comparison. I admit The blackout and Get out sound very modern in their prod, for me it is a good start !

I’ve moved from not liking it to thinking it’s decent. Maybe it will go higher, not sure, but expecting it to be at the bottom of song rankings when album comes out. It just needs Bono lower in mix and more weight to Edge’s guitar.

I’m still holding off from listening to it but I really don’t know what to think. People seems to hate or love the song. I liked Volcano but like many songs on SOI, it didn’t have that “something” that made me really like it and consider it a good song. I loved the guitar in the bridge and the “You and I are Rock and Roll” never bothered me too much although I get why some might cringe. I’ll find out in a month!

Just picked up the guitar and put together the presets... god damnit I like this song. It's simple, a little aimless, a little dumb, but it's fun.

All of these songs floating around before the album comes out is a little weird. And they're official, not leaks. What next, giving the whole album out for free-- oh wait.

:wink:

All of these songs floating around before the album comes out is a little weird. And they're official, not leaks. What next, giving the whole album out for free-- oh wait.

:wink:

It's the new trend. Because single streams are retroactively attached to album sales when it comes time for the RIAA to certify the album, labels are having artists throw everything out there ahead of time to capitalize on pre-release hype.

Arcade Fire, Gorillaz, Taylor Swift, U2, they're all doing this now.

It's the new trend. Because single streams are retroactively attached to album sales when it comes time for the RIAA to certify the album, labels are having artists throw everything out there ahead of time to capitalize on pre-release hype.

Arcade Fire, Gorillaz, Taylor Swift, U2, they're all doing this now.

Interesting. I didn't know that was the thing now.

Yup. That's why I usually limit myself. YTBTAM, GOOYOW, American Soul, and The Blackout will be the only studio versions I'll listen to before the album is released. Counting The Little Things, that means I've heard over 1/3 of the album already. Usually I only allow myself two tracks to preserve the "surprise" of the album.

Back
Top Bottom